Farish announce Princess Coronation

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I chipped the Duchess with a Zimo MX621N today and can report that performance under DCC is excellent, certainly equal to the Ivatt if not slightly better having required less tweaking of the CV values to get near perfect running, even over my Heath Robinson trackwork!

Under the hood, things are pretty much standard, with the coreless motor sitting at the rear of the chassis and electrically connected to the circuit board in the tender. It's pleasing to note that Farish are continuing the trend started with the Ivatt in having tender tops which simply pull off without the need for screws. This makes inserting the chip a quick and easy affair. The one big difference is the sole use of wires between loco and tender as opposed to the conducting drawbar seen on previous models. 

The driving wheels use the same pick up bearings as previous releases, meaning those looking to convert to 2mm FS can use the recently released association replacement bearings for use with 2mm SA wheelsets. 

post-1467-0-11995900-1420732979_thumb.jpg

A nice addition is the picking out of the cab pipework in brass, gauges in white and the roof in cream, the first time I have seen this from Farish. The window glazing is on the heavy side and is one of the few weak points on the model. 

post-1467-0-30833200-1420732982.jpg

All in all, as mentioned before, a fine looking model and once which happily seems to have had very few reports of problems. A sign perhaps that some of the QC issues seen in the past are being dealt with. 

post-1467-0-37887100-1420732975_thumb.jpg

Tom. 

• 1 month later...

For those still waiting on the Maroon version, 46245, here's what it looks like. Apparently only 24 of these made the country with the last shipment, the remainder to follow in the first week of March.

I did have a couple of problems with this one - one traction tyre appeared to be missing - later it was found down the back of the offending wheel - and re-seated - looks like an assembly error; and the central tender wheel had a mis-formed flange. However, both the retailer and Bachmann seemed to be very good about this - and I obtained a replacement tender wheelset FoC.

Worth the effort as she is an exquisite model, runs superbly. The lining in particular on the tender chassis is superb, and even the front add-on footsteps are lined.

MGalleryItem.php?id=21400

MGalleryItem.php?id=21399

MGalleryItem.php?id=21401

MGalleryItem.php?id=21402

Has been fitted with a modified N-Brass front bogie to correct scale length.

Cheers,
Alan

• RMweb Premium

For those still waiting on the Maroon version, 46245, here's what it looks like. Apparently only 24 of these made the country with the last shipment, the remainder to follow in the first week of March.

I did have a couple of problems with this one - one traction tyre appeared to be missing - later it was found down the back of the offending wheel - and re-seated - looks like an assembly error; and the central tender wheel had a mis-formed flange. However, both the retailer and Bachmann seemed to be very good about this - and I obtained a replacement tender wheelset FoC.

Worth the effort as she is an exquisite model, runs superbly. The lining in particular on the tender chassis is superb, and even the front add-on footsteps are lined.

Has been fitted with a modified N-Brass front bogie to correct scale length.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi,

Have you considered modifying the front wheel arch to line up with the front bogie wheel? It looks like the rear arch is hidden behind the cylinders so wouldn't need similar treatment.

Nig H

I'm new to N and certainly new to a Farish Duchess ! I'm wondering just how much un-prototypical movement I should accept during running: my Duchess of Norfolk seems to bob up and down as it travels  - not a great deal, but now Ive noticed it I cant help but fixate on it. Its been run in an hour each way on new track and runs just as it did out of the box - which, other than for the slight bobbing motion, is very well indeed.

I'm new to N and certainly new to a Farish Duchess ! I'm wondering just how much un-prototypical movement I should accept during running: my Duchess of Norfolk seems to bob up and down as it travels  - not a great deal, but now Ive noticed it I cant help but fixate on it. Its been run in an hour each way on new track and runs just as it did out of the box - which, other than for the slight bobbing motion, is very well indeed.

I would get it replaced.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

City of London from Hattons has just arrived...valve gear/mechanism "sloppy" on one side and the motor spins but the wheels don't; the perils (and extra expense) of buying when at the end of the world :(

[EDIT]

I suppose I could make sure that the motor is seated properly - any hints about removing the body please?

I suppose I could make sure that the motor is seated properly - any hints about removing the body please?

There are two screws at the rear under the cab (either side of the tender coupling peg) and one at the front. Shell just lefts off after those are removed.

It may be that the motor has popped out of the little motor mount in transit - Tom's pics above show how it should be.

HTH,

Alan

• 1 month later...

My maroon Duchess joined the growing list of returns. It would run for a few feet and then stop and just buzz. The motor mount was letting the worm gear raise and disengage - super glueing the motor in place wasn't for me.

The motor mount was letting the worm gear raise and disengage - super glueing the motor in place wasn't for me.

How is the motor designed or supposed to be kept in place?

It might be that glue is intended as the manufacturing solution - after all superglue is used quite extensively in motor car engine assembly these days and I understand that many 2mmFS modellers use it (or epoxy) as a means of securing can motors.

G.

How is the motor designed or supposed to be kept in place?

Looking at the components, the intention appears to be that the motor clips into the holder, only in one orientation though. Used on other locos like the Ivatt and WD.

Cheers,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

I have recently received the Cumbrian Mountain Express Pack with Duchess Of Hamilton.

Straight out of the box it had a jerk at slow speeds in forward motion and it is slightly worse in reverse.

After 2 hours of running in it does not seem to have cured at slow speeds.

Do you think it is worth running it in some more or is it best to return it ?

All suggestions welcome,

Cheers,

Rich

If it's per rotation of the wheels then it's either something catching on the valve gear or slight quartering misalignment - check if there's anything trivially catching on the valve gear, otherwise unless you really know what you are doing with quartering it's probably advisable to consider return for repair/replacement.

HTH,
Alan

Now a nice early BR blue version could capture the imagination much more than the odd-ball 46240 style which is uncomfortable in aesthetic terms..  In Blue the Duchess would harmonise with the wonderful Blood and Custard Stanier stock in the true bold uplifting colours of post war design.

Now that front bogie does look a tiny bit too short, but as someone mentioned it could be an optical illusion...

There is a BR Blue version being offered also - item no 372-186.

The bogie is too short - I've measured it.

Cheers,

Alan

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any ideas where to find one of the maroon LMS Duchess of Sutherlands ?

Recently forced to convert to N Gauge from OO due to space availability and am looking to expand my locomotive and rolling stock collection. 

Being located in the USA doesn't much help.....

Anyone have any ideas where to find one of the maroon LMS Duchess of Sutherlands ?

That's one of the old tool versions from a few years back - you'll have to hope one comes up on the secondhand market I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Alan

• 2 months later...

Archived