Farish announce all new Standard 4MT 2-6-4T

Andy Y

All new Standard 4MT 2-6-4T revealed by Graham Farish

80xxx BR 4MT  2-6-4T.JPG

Another popular model in the ever expanding Graham Farish depot, the British Railways Standard 4MT 80xxx 2-6-4T locomotives is to be updated with all new tooling by Graham Farish. It replaces the previous version introduced by the former company in 1991.

155 locomotives were built between July 1951 and May 1957 and they were used on local and branch line services. The first was withdrawn in May 1964 and the last in July 1967. 15 locomotives have been preserved.

Two versions are being introduced including No. 80027 in BR lined black livery with early emblem (372-535) and No. 80119 BR lined black with late crest (372-536). Features include;

• New tooled body with full cab detail

• Electrical pick-up through bearings on all three driven axles

• New powerful micro motor

• 6PIN DCC socket

Each version has a recommended retail price of £98.95 and will be introduced over the next 18 months.

If it is to a similar standard as the 3MT then a lot of people will be very happy (except perhaps those who recently bought the old model ;)). An excellent choice for a revamp and hopefully it will open the way for its LMS predecessors as well.

hopefully it will open the way for its LMS predecessors as well.

My thoughts also, infact a little suprised the Fairburn didn't come first - Takes the taimespan backwards a little and a couple of high profile preserved examles that have carried some interesting alternative liveries! The Standard is 90% Fairburn though anyway, and it's not a big step back from there to the Stanier version. The Fowler would be significantly more work though as i'm not sure there would be much reusable from the Standard...

Get behind me Santa ... or so the saying goes. I expect one of these will find its way in front of my Bachmann mk.1s

I'm very impressed they are putting a 6pin socket in ... I can't imagine there is a lot of room!

• RMweb Gold

Really looking forward to this one. Always had a soft spot for these big tank engines. I won't be using it to represent 80150 in its current state though!!

Tom.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Will look forward to have some Scottish variants on my layout. Can anyone tell me exactly where these were found running.

Killin branch was particularly well known. Grossly overpowered one-carriage train.

Plenty, I think, around Glasgow in pre-electrification era. Also, bankers at Beattock.

• RMweb Premium

Help! I was hoping to do a quick renumbering job to represent LTS locos 80096-105 and 80131-6; with this news it seems that neither 80027 or 80119 would be appropriate for me. Any relevant info would be appreciated.

TIA.

I don't think it specifies livery details for each version yet. The EP looks like the Scottish version with a tablet catcher. It's strange, the wheels look a little small to my eye. But I'm sure their correct. I'm sure they'll look quite dapper with a lick of paint :)

• 1 month later...

Issue 99 of the Hornby magazine had some new info about the 4MTs:

- Coreless Motor
- all driving wheel pickups
- interior cab detailing
- 6 pin decoder
- fluted and plain coupling rods
- alternative water filler caps
- original or modified water tank vents
- lamp bracket differences
- Alternative cab roof for BR southern region
- Tablet catchers for BR scottish region versions

The first batch planned are going to be 80027 in BR lined Black with early crests 372-535 and 80119 in br linedb lack with late crests 372-536. RRP is looking at £114.95 and Oct/Nov this year release.

The picture in the magazine seems to show a scottish region one with tablet catchers on and it looked very nice from the details on it and I'm quite happy they are going to use the coreless motor in it, I have a number of Farishes coreless motor releases and they have both been quiet aswell as powerful pulling capacity and I think this is the first smaller chassis Farish is putting one of these motors into so it will be interesting to see what they do with it.

The 4MT Tank does look very tasty but in fact the coreless motor has been in most of the recent Farish steam releases.

Current releases that are smaller than the 4MT Tank include the Ivatt 2-6-0 and Fowler 0-6-0 Tender locos plus the Jinty 0-6-0T.

Regards

Roy

Just a point - both 80027 and 80119 are suitable for Scottish layouts. 80027 was a Kittybrewster engine for 11 years from new, before moving to the Glasgow area. (For pictures of these engines in the northeast, see photos of the Formartine and Buchan Railway on the Railscot site.) 80119, while originally an NE region engine, spent its last 18 months at Carstairs and Dumfries.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Farish website updated yesterday.

No longer is the Late Crest 4MT Tank showing on the "imminent arrivals" part of the website as "Due in 60 days". In fact on the Farish "Steam Locomotives" part of the website there isn't now even a expected date, just an "s"  meaning "still to come" at some undetermined future date.

When I asked at the MK show in Feb Dennis Lovett checked and told me April based on which the "April/May" date quoted until yesterday seemed consistent with that. I wonder what has caused the Late Crest one to go from "Due in 60 days" to having no projected date at all now??

Roy

Farish website updated yesterday.

No longer is the Late Crest 4MT Tank showing on the "imminent arrivals" part of the website as "Due in 60 days". In fact on the Farish "Steam Locomotives" part of the website there isn't now even a expected date, just an "s"  meaning "still to come" at some undetermined future date.

When I asked at the MK show in Feb Dennis Lovett checked and told me April based on which the "April/May" date quoted until yesterday seemed consistent with that. I wonder what has caused the Late Crest one to go from "Due in 60 days" to having no projected date at all now??

Roy

I guess it's the same reason that caused the original LMS Jinty to drop off the radar.

Archived