Farish announce Class 37/4

Andy Y

Class 37/4 to be allocated to Graham Farish

Graham Farish has today announced that is producing a further variant of the Class 37 diesel locomotive, the Class 37/4.

31 locomotives were refurbished at Crewe during 1986/6 receiving electric train heating to enable them to work with newer coaching stock. During the work they also received CP7 bogies and a new generator. They were reclassified Class 37/4 on completion of this work and saw extensive use on passenger trains in both Scotland and Wales.

With the move towards multiple unit passenger trains, the Class 37/4s passed to the freight sector and became part of the Transrail fleet. They subsequently passed to EWS on privatisation and later to DB Schenker who have either scrapped them or put them up for sale. DRS has a number in its fleet.

Over the years the class has carried a number of liveries including Regional Railways, BR green, Trainload, TransRail, EWS and DRS.

Four versions are due for release over the next 18 months including No. 37417 ‘Highland Region’ in BR large logo blue livery (371-165), No. 37406 ‘The Saltire Society’ in Railfreight Distribution Sector (371-166), No. 37514 in Railfreight Metal sector (371-167) and No. 37506 in Railfreight red stripe (371-168)

Each model has a recommended retail price of £95.45 and will be introduced over the next 18 months.

Hi All;

Not very inventive having 37417 in LL Blue, replicating a previous offering.

Interesting to see 37506 & 37514 as these will need re-tooled nose ends.

Would have been nice to see 37401 in IC Mainline livery or 37685 in Swallow.

Later;

STU from EGDL

• RMweb Gold

I too was surprised with the announcement of 37417...but none the less, it will replace the earlier incorrect Farish one, so I will grab one me thinks :yes:

Not sure why the Deltic is getting a revamp...surely the class 25 is a much older model...and they even have the 24 chassis to work with.

Then again, lets wait and see what Dapol announce... :fan:

• RMweb Gold

Not sure why the Deltic is getting a revamp...surely the class 25 is a much older model...and they even have the 24 chassis to work with.

Hi Pete

My suspicion is that having seen what Dapol are doing with the Western, Farish have decided on a pre-emptive strike. The Deltic and the Western are (arguably) the two most iconic diesel types around - to lose one to Dapol might be considered a misfortune; but to lose two....

cheers

Ben A.

My suspicion is that having seen what Dapol are doing with the Western, Farish have decided on a pre-emptive strike. The Deltic and the Western are (arguably) the two most iconic diesel types around - to lose one to Dapol might be considered a misfortune; but to lose two....

Not only that, and being a logical development of the Deltic prototype, I would have thought that the 55s would be more popular and a bigger seller than the 25s. So yep, it's best to put your big hitters in first.

GRAHAME.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not only that, and being a logical development of the Deltic prototype, I would have thought that the 55s would be more popular and a bigger seller than the 25s. So yep, it's best to put your big hitters in first.

GRAHAME.

This is where I feel we lose all grip on reality. That would be a class of 22 locomotives which ran on basically one main line against a class of 300+ locomotives that, at some time or another, could be found from Wick to Penzance and Aberystwyth to Yarmouth.

Further words fail me although, sadly, Grahame you are probably absolutely right :(

David

• RMweb Premium

This is where I feel we lose all grip on reality.

Quite right - we modellers have feeble grasp of reality at the best of times and the makeup of our collections when compared to our claimed fields of interest is solid evidence for it. If we consistently bought models according to the quantity, longevity and geographical range of their prototypes, then the manufacturers' catalogues would reflect a balanced view of history. There'd be pages and pages of coal wagons, mind, which even the stickliest sticklers among us might find rather dull.

• RMweb Premium

Quite right - we modellers have feeble grasp of reality at the best of times and the makeup of our collections when compared to our claimed fields of interest is solid evidence for it. If we consistently bought models according to the quantity, longevity and geographical range of their prototypes, then the manufacturers' catalogues would reflect a balanced view of history. There'd be pages and pages of coal wagons, mind, which even the stickliest sticklers among us might find rather dull.

I think that I must be rather dull then. I like coal wagons and I like dull, boring Class 25s. These are or rather were the daily reality of the railway. Deltics are nice to look at (although not in blue with big yellow noses they're not) but I wouldn't want a model of one.

But, as has been commented by you and other posters, there is no doubt which class Bachmann believes will be the seller and I can only bow to their commercial judgement.

David

• RMweb Gold

there is no doubt which class Bachmann believes will be the seller and I can only bow to their commercial judgement.

They had better hurry up as Dapol will sneak it under there nose...may not be a bad thing.

DD...are you receiving this :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

David, like you, I prefer to model the typical and there are several mundane, but for me key, items I had hoped to see that aren't on the Farish list for the coming year. This isn't the end of the world, though and there will be other years (or we'll all have more to worry about than toy trains). Meanwhile, complaining that Bachmann have chosen to update a very old model of an iconic prototype that will make them a good profit seems a little pointless.

• 2 years later...

Where these the models that were all recently returned to have a livery/number issue corrected. Or am I getting confused with the Coronation/Dutchess steamers because of the wrong nameplates fitted?

You seem to have inside knowledge Grahame, I haven't seen any reasons given for delays to the Duchess, in point of fact as far as I am aware it has only "slipped" a month which is hardly a delay by today's standards whereas the A2 must be six months or more late now!

Regards

Roy

Archived