Farish announce Class 37/4

Andy Y

I wouldn't agree that Pete's is too low, I think it looks fine. That aside, for me, if you retain that awful rapido coupling then lowering them is pointless as the eye is simply drawn to that big, black lump.

Jerry

Each to their own, but all the reference photos I can find show the bufferbeam isn't any lower than the first level of the top of the bogie:

http://table158photography.weebly.com/uploads/8/2/1/2/8212554/dpp_1961.jpg

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/images/prod_40611.jpg

http://s3.freefoto.com/images/904/15/904_15_2137_web.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3699/9160654398_e65742b738_z.jpg

https://locoyard.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/020-2014-south-devon-railway-buckfastleigh-br-class-37-d6975-6975-37275.jpg

to give but a few at the right angle.

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Comparing those photos (in paricular the last one) to the ones showing the lowered model I think the lowering isn't the main issue - it's the too-deep lower edge to the buffer fairings as depicted by the Farish model - something I admit I did not notice when reviewing it!

cheers

Ben A.

Received my DRS one the other day, test run it's a lovely smooth runner straight out the box. It's the first RTR model that I've bought at release in ages and there's something about it, just has that extra special something. Really nice model, tempted to get another to renumberer to run a pair of 37/4s...

Only minor point, have Farish stopped including etched name plates? Mine didn't come with any, so looks like Shawplan may be getting an email

jo

Just bear in mind that the thickness of nameplates in N are probably just about the right thickness printed even if they feel wrong!

S'funny I was just thinking that. That and inertia probably mean I won't rush to replace the printed ones, I had a quick look at the Shawplan site and don't see Lord Hinton listed.

Comparing those photos (in paricular the last one) to the ones showing the lowered model I think the lowering isn't the main issue - it's the too-deep lower edge to the buffer fairings as depicted by the Farish model - something I admit I did not notice when reviewing it!

cheers

Ben A.

This is an interesting point. Looking at the D6712 pic it's difficult to tell. However, it does look like Bachmann might have been slightly sneaky here (on the 37/0 at least) and dropped the buffers a fraction - they look like the centres of the shaft should be in like with the bottom main bodyside - on the model they looks a little below this.

I wonder if this was to make the front end look like it was sitting less high and the buffers match other stock?

Cheers,

Alan

I wonder how long it will be before we get intercity and regional railways liveries?

What other liveries have 37/4 and 37/5 worn?

Is there any WCRC or Colas loans in real life?

I have ordered 37506 so looking forward to its arrival.

I think regional railways and intercity were great liveries and suited 37s well so would buy them.

Tim

I wonder how long it will be before we get intercity and regional railways liveries?

Given how long it has taken for the next batches of 1990s liveries on the Class 47, I wouldn't expect either of these liveries until the end of 2016 (at the earliest)

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know when the Bachmann 2015 announcements will be made?

Good question, because they now don't make annual announcements. They show some progress on existing new products at the trade days in June or July, N gauge show, or maybe at Warley 2015?

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know when the Bachmann 2015 announcements will be made?

End of February. This years was delayed to July to coincide with the 25th anniversary, but its back to the normal time for the 2015/16 range. 

Tom. 

• 1 month later...

Today I gave in and purchased the DRS 37/4. My justification is that they seem to be selling out everywhere - especially those under £90.00. Apparently sold out at Bachmann HQ too.

What a lovely model, I am thoroughly chuffed with my purchase!

Further to the discussions about the "ride height" of the Farish 37's, mine is currently being run-in without it's body.

My continuous loop is the bottom layer of my layout Exchange Square. (where incidentally my home-made DRS 37 conversion is in this photo)

post-16405-0-33452400-1423998627_thumb.jpg

Due to some extremely poor maths, I have very tight clearances on the bottom layer, (*I may have forgotten to take into account the thickness of the stripwood frame on the middle layer baseboard when working out the headroom*). However until today nothing has failed to get round without a few fractions of a mm to spare.

The Farish 37 is the first item of stock to get stuck! This implies that it does indeed ride a bit higher than any other item of stock I own, which is a pretty reasonable cross-section of the modern image models available.

Not the most scientific of tests.

I'm off to carry out the lowering exercise in order to be able to use my new loco!

David

• 1 month later...

Archived