Farish announce 57xx Pannier chassis upgrade

Andy Y

New chassis upgrades for

Farish GWR pannier tanks

The Graham Farish GWR 0-6-0 pannier tank locomotives of the 57xx and 8750 classes are to receive a new chassis.

The 57xx will appear in London Transport red livery as No. L97 (371-909) and the 8750 Class as No. 4656 in BR black with late crest. (371-935).

Features include;

• New mechanism with micro motor

• See through spoked wheels

• Electrical bearing pick-up on all three axles

Each model has a recommended retail price of £66.80 and will be introduced over the next 18 months.

Rather disappointed here as this seems a missed opportunity. Not being DCC-ready is a shame although I can understand the restriction (although the 3MT managed to fit a socket in and is only a bit bigger).

The benefit of an upgraded chassis is largely lost if the old body is being used. The model does not look significantly improved over the older one. The best advantage of the new micro-motor might have been if this allowed daylight to be seen under the boiler but by sticking with the old body they are not getting this advantage either.

IMHO Farish have missed a trick here. They could have produced a new class of Pannier that has not been available before (54/6400 perhaps?) to really get the benefit of the new chassis. The new chassis could then have also been supplied with other Panniers and the bodies upgraded in due course.

As it is, will many modellers switch their old models for new ones on the basis of an improved chassis? I doubt it.

IMHO Farish have missed a trick here. They could have produced a new class of Pannier that has not been available before (54/6400 perhaps?) to really get the benefit of the new chassis. The new chassis could then have also been supplied with other Panniers and the bodies upgraded in due course.

You might have stumbled upon the Bachmann gameplan here, they're just doing the new chassis first.

Having looked at pictures I think I've found the answer, but perhaps one of the buffs could confirm for me please - these Pannier tanks have the middle set of wheels nearer to the front set than the back, so putting this under a Jinty wouldn't be correct? (as the axles on that are equally set apart)

Having looked at pictures I think I've found the answer, but perhaps one of the buffs could confirm for me please - these Pannier tanks have the middle set of wheels nearer to the front set than the back, so putting this under a Jinty wouldn't be correct? (as the axles on that are equally set apart)

In a word, yes. The wheelbases of Jinty and 57xx are different, hence they have different chassis block castings and different length rods.

Regards,

Alan

As a GWR modeller/enthusiast as well as being a London Transport enthusiast, discovering that Farish is going to release a pannier in LT livery is fantastic news! I have been considering a livery conversion of my own, but upon hearing this I shall await further development. Let's hope they make an appearence soon.

• RMweb Premium

As a GWR modeller/enthusiast as well as being a London Transport enthusiast, discovering that Farish is going to release a pannier in LT livery is fantastic news! I have been considering a livery conversion of my own, but upon hearing this I shall await further development. Let's hope they make an appearence soon.

Farish have done this livery in the past, if you hunt about you can occasionally find them.

Farish have done this livery in the past, if you hunt about you can occasionally find them.

That's interesting to know, I'll certainly keep an eye out for them, as I am considering a LT layout as a future idea. Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if there is an opportunity here for a state-of-the-art bodyline kit to take advantage of these mechanics. This wheelbase and wheel size is common to not just the 57xx/8750, but also the 94xx, and the 1854/2721 and similar earlier pannier tanks (and saddle tanks).

As it is, will many modellers switch their old models for new ones on the basis of an improved chassis? I doubt it.

I think you are correct. All my 0-6-0 Bachfar tank engines are suberb runners despite having a mechanism design that is positively ancient by today's standards. I will not upgrade just to get wheels with see through spokes. Pickup is already on all three axles, though the new bearing pickup mentioned would cetainly eliminate the ugly brass wiper system used up to now.

As for the folks getting all excited about the LT liverly, yes, Poole issued that liverly as a Limited Edition of 500 or so back in the 1990s. Once in a blue moon you see one of them listed on a certain auction site. The prices they command are no cheaper than the 66 quid the new release will sell for!

Matt

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone heard if Farish is still looking to go ahead with this upgrade after Dapol's announcement of a all new Pannier tank?

Funny you should ask this as I had just been wondering the same thing. Given that Hattons are taking pre-orders for the Dapol model at £55 and the Farish one for £56.78, that the pictures of the Dapol one suggest it is near ready while the Farish one could still be more than a year away, and that Dapol is offering more liveries (including the LU maroon one) I think Dapol have won this round between the two competitors. From what I've seen so far, I don't think the dated cast metal Farish body can hold a candle to the new Dapol one, though it might make it a better puller.

All that said, I suspect Farish will continue with its version. At the very least it gives them something to put in trainsets. But we'll just have to see.

Matt

From what I've seen so far, I don't think the dated cast metal Farish body can hold a candle to the new Dapol one, though it might make it a better puller.

Probably true although given what Dapol have achieved with the Terrier, I suspect their Pannier should be able to comfortably handle a prototypical train.

• 2 months later...

Archived