Farish announce 57xx Pannier chassis upgrade

Andy Y

Hi Caz.

I have heard from Farish that they are not continuing with it because of the Dapol release.

Missy.

I have just looked at their web site, no announcement yet, but it wouldn't surprise me, I got my Dapol pannier today, and it is just stunning, a little more running in to be done, but it shows just how crude the Farish loco is, and even with a chassis as good as the one Dapol have come up with, it would still be lagging behind. perhaps if they build a 64xx with a they could still salvage their R & D costs ?

perhaps if they build a 64xx with a they could still salvage their R & D costs ?

I think the Jinty already points to them having done that (R&D in chassis rather than tooling of the chassis itself). Given the price differntial (or lack of it) between the Farish and Dapol 57XXs I'd be very suprised if it would make sense to Farish to proceed to main range manufacture at this point and just plonk it in trainsets while coming up with something better (and authentic) to sit on the 57XX chassis.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello :)

Missy

I'm presuming you will converting yours to 2mm FS and if so have you assessed the best way to do this yet?

As Tom mentioned below your post Chris will Im sure come up with something suitable to fit under the body. I am not really on the market for one anyway without dragging up the past too much I already have one I am very happy with...

post-2065-0-00008000-1354141607.jpg

Missy :)

Thanks Tom. I looked at the thread and was instantly put of the idea. It seems beyond my capability.

Given that most of what I described in the aforementioned posting was about taking the model apart, not re-wheeling it, I suspect you will have to do it anyway regardless of how it is to be re-wheeled. I am wondering now if there might be a slightly simpler sequence if it is only required to drop the chassis out, without separating the tanks and footplate.

We should be grateful the Dapol Pannier can be stripped at all. Many of their earlier locos had parts glued into place, which made dis-assembly impossible without cutting things like the brakegear off.

Chris

We should be grateful the Dapol Pannier can be stripped at all. Many of their earlier locos had parts glued into place, which made dis-assembly impossible without cutting things like the brakegear off.

Chris

Talking to Dapol Dave at Warley, the Dapol pannier can be stripped down to a bare running chassis- which means hopefully I can build my Dean Sidings open-cab saddletank with an open cab.......

All the best

Les

• RMweb Premium

Talking to Dapol Dave at Warley, the Dapol pannier can be stripped down to a bare running chassis- which means hopefully I can build my Dean Sidings open-cab saddletank with an open cab.......

All the best

Les

Had you seen Chris's breakdown on how to do this Les? http://www.rmweb.co....-haynes-manual/

Putting one under the open cab sounds interesting.

Had you seen Chris's breakdown on how to do this Les? http://www.rmweb.co....-haynes-manual/

Putting one under the open cab sounds interesting.

Many thanks for the link- I don't need to strip it down to components but the first seven instructions take me through as far as I need to go. While it is at chassis level I'll turn the left coupling rods the right way up....

Photo to follow when I get time to do it....

All the very best

Les

Many thanks for the link- I don't need to strip it down to components but the first seven instructions take me through as far as I need to go. While it is at chassis level I'll turn the left coupling rods the right way up....

All the very best

Les

Les,

I am thinking - but cannot test as mine is now in pieces - that it might be possible to omit steps 4 and 6 and instead unscrew the wires as the chassis is dropped out in step 7. However if you are wanting to retrieve the motor to put in your resin loco, then you will need to do all 7 steps.

Chris

All the very best

Les

What I want to remove is a complete working chassis without the footplate attached. I'll look carefully and work with the instruction sheet next to me, and post any changes I have to make.

Talking to the guy from Dean Sidings he was going to have a go at putting a Dapol chassis into his saddletank. His comment was that new Farish chassis weregetting harder to source. More open-cabbed locos in N?

All the very best

Les

What I want to remove is a complete working chassis without the footplate attached. I'll look carefully and work with the instruction sheet next to me, and post any changes I have to make.

Thanks. The key problem you will face is that the motor and worm is not attached to the chassis. Instead it clips into the body tanks, and you only have a working loco when the body is joined with the chassis. There is probably a way to take the motor out, and build your own motor mount to have a standalone chassis. Or perhaps use a substitiute motor.

Chris

Archived