Farish announce Bulleid coaches in 'N'

Andy Y

It looks like Hattons have sold out of the green Bulleid brake coaches. If other shops have sold out as well lots of people will have to attach a green Mk1 brake to their trains. I am surprised that Graham Farish did not produce two brake coaches with different numbers.

In their catalogue Graham Farish describes the BR (SR) green coach as a Second Brake Corridor Open Coach whereas it describes the BR crimson and cream coach as a Third Semi-Open Brake Coach.

Which is entirely accurate, as BR(SR) started painting their stock BR(SR) Green (of whatever shade) in about 1956, which is the year that Third class was reclassified as Second class...

I suspect more likely Bachmann realised that the common BCK usage is BSK + BCK, and those were mostly fitted with 10" not 15" ventilators so would need changes for the BSK too.

If they do a BCK it would be better if it were the more common Diagram 2406 (40 built as opposed to 13 of diagram 2405) which ran either loose or coupled to open thirds (not as a formal set). In this case the BCK had shallow vents, but the TO had the deeper ones, which is what Farish have already modelled for the latter.

Chris

Which is entirely accurate, as BR(SR) started painting their stock BR(SR) Green (of whatever shade) in about 1956, which is the year that Third class was reclassified as Second class...

The point I was making was that 374-431 is described as a semi-open brake coach whereas 374-430 is described as a brake corridor open coach. I suppose they are two ways of describing the same thing.

If they do a BCK it would be better if it were the more common Diagram 2406 (40 built as opposed to 13 of diagram 2405) which ran either loose or coupled to open thirds (not as a formal set). In this case the BCK had shallow vents, but the TO had the deeper ones, which is what Farish have already modelled for the latter.

Chris

You just had me scurrying for my King to find out what the difference was as they both had 10 1/4" ventilators - the D.2405 had the lavatory next to the centre vestibule, the D.2406 had the lavatory next to the vestibule at the non-brake end.

Chris

Depends what their market is. There seem to be a lot of withered arm type layouts about.

Depends what their market is. There seem to be a lot of withered arm type layouts about.

Given that both Bachmann and Dapol seem happy to turn out models of coaches of which there were very few examples in real life, you probably give them perhaps too much credit for prototype research :-)

But for the record both types of BCK were allocated exclusively to West of England services, so even on a Withered Arm layout you would be statistically more likely to see a D2406 than a D2405.

Chris

For those interested, this is a great resource to read through:

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/data/PDF/BR%28S%29%20coach%20allocations.PDF

Thank you Chris. I found the resource very useful. On the page before the contents in The Swanage Branch Then and Now by Andrew P M Wright is a picture of 34042 airsmoothed Dorchester hauling a rake of crimson and cream Mk1s strengthened with a green Maunsell and several green Bulleid coaches. Vitually each adjacent coach is in a different livery. Modelling this train would overcome the shortage of green Bulleid brake coaches as three of the brake coaches on this train were crimson and cream Mk1s.

It looks like Hattons have sold out of the green Bulleid brake coaches. If other shops have sold out as well lots of people will have to attach a green Mk1 brake to their trains. I am surprised that Graham Farish did not produce two brake coaches with different numbers.

I am not suprised in the least. They did the same with their 00 releases so they know perfectly well that the Brake thirds sell out first. I also wrote to them to suggest they produce 2 different running numbers of the brakes. I got a polite acknowledgement but I am sure they ignored the content.

I think they produce in fixed batches and cannot be bothered to vary the sizes of a production run. My suggestion is check out some of the smaller retailers while you can. Otherwise it will be a case of waiting for the next run.

I am not suprised in the least. They did the same with their 00 releases so they know perfectly well that the Brake thirds sell out first. I also wrote to them to suggest they produce 2 different running numbers of the brakes. I got a polite acknowledgement but I am sure they ignored the content.

I think they produce in fixed batches and cannot be bothered to vary the sizes of a production run. My suggestion is check out some of the smaller retailers while you can. Otherwise it will be a case of waiting for the next run.

They did the exactlly the same with the blue/grey Mk2a; in that case it was the TSO that sold out in days, with loads of retailers left with BSOs and FKs

post-17621-0-19169600-1387895711_thumb.jpgpost-17621-0-97321100-1387895749_thumb.jpg My Bulleid coaches have arrived in time for Christmas. One picture shows Fighter Command hauling a rake of green coaches over Corfe Viaduct. The other shows Winston Churchill with a rake of crimson and cream coaches at Harmans Cross. I am very pleased with the coaches which are all in the correct colours. Both the brakes are described as semi-open on the boxes.

If that is the case: 'I want two batches of the Brake vehicles and one of each of the others', in my simplistic view of things...

As my examples are sitting at my brother's house, and the photos I have seen are not very close up, can I ask whether the underframes are modelled with the original Bulleid style of single central vacuum cylinder, or the more conventionial style of two cylinders they had fitted later?

Chris

• RMweb Premium

As my examples are sitting at my brother's house, and the photos I have seen are not very close up, can I ask whether the underframes are modelled with the original Bulleid style of single central vacuum cylinder, or the more conventionial style of two cylinders they had fitted later?

Chris

Do the photos on this link help?

https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Reviews/233/Graham_Farish_Bulleid_Coaches_reveiwed_by_Nigel_Burkin/

Given that both Bachmann and Dapol seem happy to turn out models of coaches of which there were very few examples in real life, you probably give them perhaps too much credit for prototype research :-)

But for the record both types of BCK were allocated exclusively to West of England services, so even on a Withered Arm layout you would be statistically more likely to see a D2406 than a D2405.

Chris

For those interested, this is a great resource to read through:

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/data/PDF/BR%28S%29%20coach%20allocations.PDF

One thing not really mentioned here is that the Open Thirds were originally ordered for boat trains, where they would have run with the corridor firsts (not modelled - yet).

There were twenty of these later transferred to Eastern and Scottish regions, some of which were repainted maroon, but others stayed green. So a good choice for those trying to think of a reason to buy one for our non-Southern layout.

One thing not really mentioned here is that the Open Thirds were originally ordered for boat trains, where they would have run with the corridor firsts (not modelled - yet).

There were twenty of these later transferred to Eastern and Scottish regions, some of which were repainted maroon, but others stayed green. So a good choice for those trying to think of a reason to buy one for our non-Southern layout.

As discussed in this post:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73431-mismatched-prefix-and-suffix-to-coachcarriage-number/&do=findComment&comment=1084121

The SR was required to repaint (in Maroon) and reprefix (either 'E' or 'Sc' as appropriate) the transferred SOs before transfer [this is a correction to the original post]. The stock that went to the WR earlier were in Green livery, at least two were later repainted in Maroon at Swindon.

As discussed in this post:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73431-mismatched-prefix-and-suffix-to-coachcarriage-number/&do=findComment&comment=1084121

The SR was required to repaint (in Maroon) and reprefix (either 'E' or 'Sc' as appropriate) the transferred SOs before transfer [this is a correction to the original post]. The stock that went to the WR earlier were in Green livery, at least two were later repainted in Maroon at Swindon.

Is it really the case they were all repainted before transfer. There is a photo on this page

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/bullco03.html

of 1469 transferred to the Eastern Region and then bought by the K&WVR. It is pictured in 1971 in green and so I think it would be  unlikely it was ever repainted into maroon. I could be wrong though.

Chris

Is it really the case they were all repainted before transfer. There is a photo on this page

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/bullco03.html

of 1469 transferred to the Eastern Region and then bought by the K&WVR. It is pictured in 1971 in green and so I think it would be  unlikely it was ever repainted into maroon. I could be wrong though.

Chris

I could be wrong, but it looks like a repaint by the new owners - the shade is wrong and green paint extends onto the ends, which were black in green and maroon liveries; the green livery was never lined;  and there are non-BR roundels and number (5).

Looks like the C/C CK has the early type, the other three the later. I am presuming that is correct.

Chris

Looking at my Bulleids:

Underside of green ones (all four types):

post-14641-0-37106000-1388028818_thumb.jpg

and the Blood and Custard ones (BTK and CK):

post-14641-0-71398600-1388028826_thumb.jpg

HTH

Archived