Farish announce Bulleid coaches in 'N'

Andy Y

Hi Robin,

Interesting to see a photo of your brake end as it has the same problem mine did but less pronounced. The solebar under the guards door is out of shape dipping downwards. On one of mine the dip was so bad it had the knock on effect of distorting the tiebars which were banana shaped. I thought it may be just poorly assembled but it wasn't, it was just bent. Model Railways Direct were brilliant though taking them back without hesitation. Just need to wait for more stock to arrive now :O(

Gareth

Swanage Railway's Bulleid corridor composite was on view today. The green seats were first class and the red were third class. Details are the luggage racks, carriage prints and lights. There was seating for 24 first class and 24 second class passengers. Four compartments with three first class people each side and three compartments with four three class people each side. The third class passengers had more room than the first class people do in today's trains on the national network.

post-17621-0-56218000-1388321534_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-22546200-1388321572_thumb.jpg

How different are the BCK and BTK? The pictures I have seen look like they have the same general window arrangement although possibly with slightly different pacing. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Would it look adequate to simply put first class markings on the Farish coach? It seems to me it would be easier than etched sides and still better than using the Dapol Collett composites or brake thirds.

How different are the BCK and BTK? The pictures I have seen look like they have the same general window arrangement although possibly with slightly different pacing. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Would it look adequate to simply put first class markings on the Farish coach? It seems to me it would be easier than etched sides and still better than using the Dapol Collett composites or brake thirds.

Not very alike. In particular the toilet is not in the same position. And also to note that all the BCKs had shallow window ventilators.

Chris

Some images of Lam Models'  4mm. / ft. plasticard sides, showing the differences of the relevant brake coaches.

post-7009-0-96090500-1388413445_thumb.jpgpost-7009-0-93273500-1388413522_thumb.jpg

BTK.    The earlier batches of this type, coach Nos.4301-4383 were built under the auspices of the SR, and had the 10 1/4" deep sliding vents.

The later, Bulleid / BR(S) built stock, as modelled by Bachmann / Graham Farish, had the 15" deep vents.  Internal semi open layout remained the same throughout the batches, as was the single periscope.

post-7009-0-38673300-1388415697_thumb.jpgpost-7009-0-62279600-1388415793_thumb.jpg

BCK.    Nos.6700-6712. Used with above, shallow vent, type of BTK, in 2-car West of England sets. All compartment layout with toilet moved to far end. Single periscope.

post-7009-0-40832400-1388416955_thumb.jpgpost-7009-0-70040800-1388417131_thumb.jpg

BCK (Loose),    Nos.6713-6752. Primarily used as a single coach, split from a mainline WoE train, sometimes coupled with an Open Third.

Again, compartment accommodation, but, with the toilet moved back centrally, adjacent to, but, on the other side of the centre door / vestibule. Fore and Aft periscopes fitted.

Happy new year.

Frank.

I have still got some LAM models Bulleid coach sides that I fitted into Hornby Mk1 coaches. There are some plans of Bulleid coaches in the 1967 Model Railway Constructor.

January page 15. Semi-open brake third.

February page 48. Brake composite.

March page 82. Corridor composite.

April page 120. Corridor 2nd.

May page 151. Underframe.

June page 186. Corridor 1st.

September page 284. Brake composite. Loose coaches.

October page 316. Corridor dining first.

November page 350. Restaurant car.

I have lost the July and August issues. The semi-open brake third and loose brake composite look the same to me. If you reduce the depth of the ventilators by 1mm this gives you the option of repainting them in Southern malachite green as many of these coaches with narrow ventilators were built before nationalisation.

I have still got some LAM models Bulleid coach sides that I fitted into Hornby Mk1 coaches. There are some plans of Bulleid coaches in the 1967 Model Railway Constructor.

January page 15. Semi-open brake third.

February page 48. Brake composite.

March page 82. Corridor composite.

April page 120. Corridor 2nd.

May page 151. Underframe.

June page 186. Corridor 1st.

September page 284. Brake composite. Loose coaches.

October page 316. Corridor dining first.

November page 350. Restaurant car.

I have lost the July and August issues. The semi-open brake third and loose brake composite look the same to me. If you reduce the depth of the ventilators by 1mm this gives you the option of repainting them in Southern malachite green as many of these coaches with narrow ventilators were built before nationalisation.

Yep, I've still got the 1967 MRC series. Originally published back in the195os, along with set and u/frame details. IMO 'VE's drawings were the finest, most detailed, ever, to be published.

The LAM sides, above, were originally intended for the Triang / Hornby Mk.1s, but, after discovering that their bogie centres were too far apart and having to completely rebuild the u/fs, curtailed the project. I'm now using Southern Pride's with Bachmann SR bogies.

Having finally got my Bulleids, I did note something odd with the roofs. Farish seem to have modelled the CK and TK with two pairs of rainstrips, but the BTSO and TO with only the lower one on each side. This is the case for both green and crimson/cream examples.

It is my understanding that all Bulleids were built with four rainstrips, and that the upper sets were removed beginning from 1960 onwards (and sometimes not at all). It looks like Farish have misinterpreted this, thinking that some types had 4 rainstrips, and others 2.

Chris

Having finally got my Bulleids, I did note something odd with the roofs. Farish seem to have modelled the CK and TK with two pairs of rainstrips, but the BTSO and TO with only the lower one on each side. This is the case for both green and crimson/cream examples.

It is my understanding that all Bulleids were built with four rainstrips, and that the upper sets were removed beginning from 1960 onwards (and sometimes not at all). It looks like Farish have misinterpreted this, thinking that some types had 4 rainstrips, and others 2.

Chris

As far as I'm aware, all Bulleid loco hauled coaches were built with two per side, i.e. four rainstrips.

If you join the SRLHCS Yahoo group and access Michael Blackbourn's photo collection of BR period Bulleid caches, you'll see that the upper rainstrips were removed in, what seems, an ad hoc / haphazard fashion. For example, the Restaurant Cars of a Bournemouth 6-Car set, where the RKS has two rainstrips, while it's adjoining RFO has four.

Also, the early 60s, timing of their removal*, ties in with the doing away with the stepboards above the gangway connections and the three end steps, immediately below. The models don't appear to show this.

* As early as 1952 on other types of ex-SR coaches.

All the best,

Frank.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of British Railways Bulleid design coaches at Swanage Station in the same position as they would have been on the Swanage portion of the Royal Wessex.

Like the pics, RB,.... but, looking at the shallow window vents, I'd say that these coaches were originally built by the SR and not BR(S).

Is it really the case they were all repainted before transfer. There is a photo on this page

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/bullco03.html

of 1469 transferred to the Eastern Region and then bought by the K&WVR. It is pictured in 1971 in green and so I think it would be  unlikely it was ever repainted into maroon. I could be wrong though.

Chris

post-7009-0-41577900-1390328188_thumb.jpg

Like the pics, RB,.... but, looking at the shallow window vents, I'd say that these coaches were originally built by the SR and not BR(S).

Swanage Railway's Bulleid corridor composite 5761 was built by the Southern Railway in 1947. The two Bulleid semi-open brake thirds nos S4365S and S4366S entered service in February 1948 just after Nationalisation and formed the outer end coaches of Bournemouth Dining Set 296. Sets like this were used on summer Saturday trains from Swanage to Waterloo.

post-17621-0-55268200-1390554170_thumb.jpgSR Bulleid corridor composite no S5761S at Swanage Station. This is similar to the Graham Farish model but has small ventilators. If Graham Farish had modelled this version it would have been more versatile as the firm could also have produced it in Southern malachite green livery. The roof soon wore to the dark grey colour, as on the model, in service on the main line railway. Ironically one of the twenty people who restored the coach always repaints the roofs of models dark grey but the prototype now has a light grey roof. Doubtless the roof will get darker when the newly restored coach enters service this summer.

Hi All,

All 8 variants of these coaches arrived here today. Beautiful models but both brake coaches suffered the same flaw as has been noticed already. Hence I have taken some cruel close up pics that show the warp in the solebar just below the guards door. I have dismantled a coach to see if the problem can be recified...taking a coach apart is easy...just prise a finger nail between the body and the solebar and then slide it along and voila!. The coupling spring is but a very fine piece of wire that can be easily lost. It is held in position by tabs over which a plate is screwed on with a very fine cross head screw. Is this a fault with the brake coach solebar moulding which is different to the other coaches by virtue of the guard's footstep. If this is a common fault we must get GF to look at it..looking forward to comments

post-20971-0-73049300-1390866142_thumb.jpg

post-20971-0-50988000-1390866162_thumb.jpg

post-20971-0-33388100-1390866176_thumb.jpg

Thinking aloud based on experience with other models...

Does the underframe go back to flat when seperated from the body?

If so is there some flash or moulding on either the body or underframe that is forcing it out of shape?

PLD

Yes that's what I suspected but it was not the case, everything inside was very crisply moulded. I tried a bit of gentle persuasion and it worked a little but its still not as perfect like all the other coaches. In my time I have seen some rather bent up coaches so I will try to live with it. I will look at some of my steam era shots. I took up the issue with Bachmann today, they had seen my post here on RM and they checked 8 similar vehicles, all were fine. I suspect some of the initial batch were removed from the mould before they had properly cooled off, a common cause of distortion. Nonetheless these are exquisite vehicles....what we need now is that other, more common, brake composite with the toilet at the opposite end of the coach to the guards compartment. Drawing 11 -  MRC Planbook 1 - Bullied Coaches in 4mm scale - SW Stevens-Stratten   - page 27.

It would also be nice if Bachmann ( GF ) made future Bullied coaches with the earlier Southern Railway smaller ventilators..I think the main window aperture was a touch deeper. These were far more common and more distinctive, less like a BR Mk1. I travelled in so many of these in the last years of SR steam....you couldn't get your head out the ventilator window, which was probably just as well as the Bullied locos were notorious for chucking out large coal smuts and I caught quite a few in my eye! In the last few months we had several 'tons' behind steam...The Bullied coaches rode well. They were good days...but there was no N scale then and 00 gauge offerings were pretty basic

If we want the more common brake comp we must make it vocal here...GF will listen to us. I think we all want to make up authentic train sets, probably with a leaning towards West of England services and the ACE.....Anyone agree???

• RMweb Gold

Yes fully agree.

I now have 9 of these coaches but will neec quite a few more for a future layout so lets hope the other variants do get produced.

yet to take most of them out the boxes so will have to chck if any have a bowed chassis.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Archived