Farish announce Bulleid coaches in 'N'

Andy Y

Bulleid coaches will paint the town green

To complement the exciting range of Graham Farish locomotives, the company has announced a new range of Bulleid coaches. These coaches have not previously been available ready to run in N scale and have been the subject of considerable research over the past year.

Four types will become available over the next 18 months including the Brake Corridor Second, Second Corridor, Open Second and First Corridor versions.

Features of the Bulleid coaches include;

• Large quarter light windows

• Close coupling mechanism with NEM coupling

• Detailed interior and underframes

The recommended retail price of each Bulleid coach is £19.75.

As part of the on-going range of retooled Mark 1 coaches introduced over the last year, a new FK First Corridor coach is also being introduced. The recommended retail price is £19.70.

• RMweb Premium

Ridiculously, as I'm not an N gauge modeller, I welcome this news if it is indeed the case that they are newly designed. It would be mad for Bachmann not to take advantage of the R in R&D and produce new Bulleids in 4mm as well. However, I think it may be a couple of years at least before we even see an announcement on that front.

Ridiculously, as I'm not an N gauge modeller, I welcome this news if it is indeed the case that they are newly designed. It would be mad for Bachmann not to take advantage of the R in R&D and produce new Bulleids in 4mm as well. However, I think it may be a couple of years at least before we even see an announcement on that front.

I suspect if there's no apparent movement from Hornby in the next year, they may just be joined by that as built Merchant Navy that keeps getting "forgotten about".

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news! I don't know much about Bulleid stock but I'm surprised a Composite Corridor (CK) isn't being produced in the first tranche. I'd have thought everyone would be clambering for the the opertunity to replicate the S&Ds BSK, CK, BSK sets! Maunsell stock to follow? :)

• RMweb Premium

The S&DJR's Bulleid three sets were multi-door types of limited geographical running scope, particularly the 64ft ones, so I'm not surprised they wouldn't get into a main range. It may be that they could get commissioned by another organisation, though I'm not sure which of the known commissioners would have any interest in them. I know that if my 4mm Terrier project works out, I'll be looking at them for 4mm, not looking at N though.

Excellent news! I don't know much about Bulleid stock but I'm surprised a Composite Corridor (CK) isn't being produced in the first tranche. I'd have thought everyone would be clambering for the the opertunity to replicate the S&Ds BSK, CK, BSK sets! Maunsell stock to follow? :)

It is very excellent news. However, they are producing the Composite Corridor, 374-460 in green and 374-460 in crimson & cream. Hopefully, they'll also bring out the composite brakes in the future too. If they're really popular, maybe they'll do the BRC&W Bulleids too, or maybe they'll be a retailer's limited edition.

Dapol have been threatening Maunsell coaches for some time, so maybe the Farish Bulleids will kickstart their production.

Farish's website doesn't give a date for delivery, but I expect that if I hurry up and build my kits the RTR Bulleids will appear right after!!

David

I am delighted that we are to get Bullied coaches.

May I suggest that they be available in 3 sets as this is the shortest prototypical common rake and would suit many layouts too?

Something for an enterprising retailer to commission perhaps.....

Gerry

• RMweb Premium

Do they have the right coach types to make proper 3 car sets?

Don't think so. You'd need a composite and the brakes would be semi open rather than corridor.

Do they have the right coach types to make proper 3 car sets?

Yes they do. Although not mentioned at the top of the thread, they are producing the vital corridor composite so proper 3-car sets are feasible. It looks like they are only producing one running number in each livery to begin with so you might need a bit of renumbering to produce an authentic rake, otherwise the BSKs at each end wil have the same numbers.

I think it is also going to be possible to produce some of the other fixed sets that existed like the 4, 5 and even 7 coach sets. I am not an expert on SR coaches so I am not sure if the the diagrams are exact but it should be possible to produce a wide variety of sets from the vehicles listed.

Here are some details of various sets that the SR used, also has some details of the Mk1 sets as well.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/data/PDF/BR(S)%20coach%20allocations.PDF

How long did Bulleid coaches last in service? Did any of them survive into the rail blue period?

I am not aware of any receiving BR Blue. Like most pre-nationalisation coaches, I think they were withdrawn by the end of steam. I have heard the date 1967 mentioned which would coincide with the completion of the Bournemouth electrification.

Thanks - I thought rail blue might be a bit unlikely.

I also heard that some went up to Scotland in exchange for electric heating Mk1s so they could run behind Class 33s on the Southern Region. I don't know the full details though.

also heard that some went up to Scotland in exchange for electric heating Mk1s

They did, also a number hung around on the Waterloo - Exeter rakes. Not sure but 69 sticks in my mind.

I'd made up my mind to do a contemporary dabble in N but this is severely weakening my resolve. If someone did a decent Crompton I'd be getting very twitchy.

Stu

I'd made up my mind to do a contemporary dabble in N but this is severely weakening my resolve. If someone did a decent Crompton I'd be getting very twitchy.

Well Dapol's class 26 means they are part of the way there. It would not be a huge leap for a class 33.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like I will be putting the etched Bullied sides to one side I had bought to build and run on a planned model of Swanage in N scale!! However, with these coaches and the upcoming Dapol Bullied light pacifics I might have to do Wareham instead.... or Exeter Central, or.....!!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Four types will become available over the next 18 months including the Brake Corridor Second, Second Corridor, Open Second and First Corridor versions.

I am not sure this is strictly correct, listed on the Farish site are: Brake Corridor Open Second (in other words and more usually called Semi opne Brake Second , Second Corridor, Open Second and Composte corridor.

Being the deep 15" vent versions means that they like there older 4mm cousins are only suitable for BR(S) period layouts.

This combination will therefore allow for a typical 3 coach sets and longer to be created, although just like Hornby when they first introduced the Maunsell coaches Farish do not appear to grasped the Southern and the later regions use of sets. I hope they prepare production to allow for twice the number of Brake coaches than the other varients.

some were painted in lined maroon

Correct, Southern Pride even list them in their 4mm range.

Well Dapol's class 26 means they are part of the way there. It would not be a huge leap for a class 33

That's it, start giving me sleepless nights :D

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Some of these coaches were exchanged with the ER to obtain Mk.1 to rebuild into 3 & 4-TC sets; I believe that as a result some were painted in lined maroon. Can anyone confirm that?

Yes they were transfered to both ER and Scr regions to enable the cascade of Mk1's for conversion and some came under the control of the WR due to boundary changes, a number of these, but not all transferred, gained lined maroon.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I am not sure if this is helpful but here are the full catalogue listings:

374-430 Bulleid 63' Second Brake Corridor Open - Green

374-431 Bulleid 63' Second Brake Corridor Open - Crimson & Cream

374-440 Bulleid 63' Second Corridor - Green

374-441 Bulleid 63' Second Corridor - C&C

374-450 Bulleid 63' Second Open - Green

374-451 Bulleid 63' Second Open - C&C

374-460 Bulleid 63' Composite corridor - Green

374-461 Bulleid 63' Composite corridor - C&C

Hopefully this will help the more knowledgeable - I haven't the foggiest how Bulleid coaches were operated or in which consists!

cheers

Ben A.

Hopefully this will help the more knowledgeable - I haven't the foggiest how Bulleid coaches were operated or in which consists!

Thanks Ben, it is indeed helpful. The most common consist was a 3-car set formed BSK-CK-BSK. Expresses would quite often be formed of 2 or 3 of these sets (sometimes with catering vehicles). The usefulness of this is that you can easily represent a portion of a longer train that has been detached at a junction.

As others have noted, BSKs are probably the most useful vehicles so anyone looking to form prototypical rakes would do well to pre-order enough of these to meet their needs as I predict they will sell out first. ;)

Archived