Farish announce BR Mark 2A coaches

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Are the NEMCOUPs the same as the free ones supplied with Dapol locos? I assume you mean a short/long combination at each join. I found the gap is rather large using this method but it's better than the Farish couplers which just fall out of the mark 2s! Incidentally I've still not had a reply from Bachmann on this problem with recent stock.

Are the NEMCOUPs the same as the free ones supplied with Dapol locos? I assume you mean a short/long combination at each join. I found the gap is rather large using this method but it's better than the Farish couplers which just fall out of the mark 2s! Incidentally I've still not had a reply from Bachmann on this problem with recent stock.

Hi,

If your eMail is in reference to one of mine, I cannot speak for the Dapol locos can say that I mean the same ones that are supplied with the MK3s and the ones called NEMCOUP behind this link

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=177_62_154_197

I pull with two short couplings, push with one short one long, and yes the gap one short one long is rather large when pulling.

Back to my comment about the vertical discrepancy, thanks for the info, I sit corrected, Dapol MK3s are lower. Saying that, Farish MK1s do couple to the Dapol MK3s using the NEMCOUP and the couplings of the HSTs are at the same height as the Farish MK1s. So it will probably be a case of (if there are no new style short shank couplings manufactured) fixing the 379-402s with a spot of glue.

Would be advantageous if the Boys from Barwell would answer Crepello's question. At least we would know! 

es grüßt

PC

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, no reply from Bachmann yet, so I think I ought to contact Dennis Lovett on this now; I've just purchased the LMS 50 ft brake van to run with my Stanier rake to represent the Swedish Lloyd boat train from St Pancras to Tilbury. What did I find? It's fitted with a NEM pocket that won't accept Farish short NEMs or TPM medium NEMs, with which combination my Staniers are equipped. I won't lose sleep over it, but I have to ask ''what is the point of NEMs when you can't swap couplings?'' If they're planning a new coupling, they're keeping very quiet about it. Will follow this up one day!

A bit of editing--I've now sent an e-mail (via the Bachmann site), asking for a reply from Dennis or Colin Allbright; it may be relevant that the short NEMs (379-402) have an 'x' against them in the accessories section, so perhaps a change is on the way!

(Edited to correct grammar)

Hallo,

A few weekends ago I met Werner Eichhorn at the Modellbau Süd in Stuttgart. I saw his full selection including a short shank NEM coupling which fits the Dapol and new Graham Farish coupling pocket. Please see an earlier post of mine extolling the virtues of his short shank standard N-Gauge coupling

Here a few examples, all the Farish coupling pockets are the bigger new style European NEM, not the older US style

2 short shank on MK2As

post-10017-0-70133900-1386528427_thumb.jpg

2 short shank on MK1s

post-10017-0-85885300-1386528468_thumb.jpg

2 short shank on a MK2A and a Dapol MK3

post-10017-0-77872500-1386528501_thumb.jpg

1 short and 1 long on MK1s

post-10017-0-58636000-1386528551_thumb.jpg

2 short shank on a MK1 and a MK2A

post-10017-0-00398900-1386528588_thumb.jpg

The order details showing a short shank and a Farish short shank for comparison. Important is to mention the "K" as part of the item number, that was my error last time

post-10017-0-30400300-1386528609_thumb.jpg

The slight difference in length to the Farish coupling does mean that MK2As coupled as per the uppermost photo can even be pushed through reasonably sharp radius curves no problem

Martin Kernel sells his product via Werner Eichhorn. The couplings cost €1,40 per piece and Werner is willing to discuss for purcases in bulk - I bought 60pcs and I had a rebate. Good news is that he (Werner) does have PayPal account and advises any UK customer to use PayPal.

I have been given permission from Andy to add that Werner is very keen to break into the UK market and is looking for a UK distributor for all his products. He is a great guy, speaks very good english and is not a here-today-gone-tomorrow person.

Hope that this helps anyone

Once again here is the link to his Website.

http://www.eichhorn-modellbau.de/PRODUKTE/SPUR_N/spur_n.html

es grüßt

PC

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'd be interested to know if anyone has concluded how to resolve the height issue with these coaches (when running with Mark 1s fitted with B1 or Commonwealth bogies). I've fitted B4 bogies to the Mark 1s (with their smaller wheels) but can't see much difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The new Farish Mk2a coaches in Network SouthEast livery were on display at Demu's ShowCase exhibition last weekend.Very nice but apparently not due until Aug/Sept.

G.

Whilst we are on about Mark 2A coaches
I have been comparing photos of the BSO and BFK

Is it just me, or is the body based on the BFK?
The windows between open bay (parcel) doors appear to be very close together, just like a BFK
The spacing between the windows at the passenger end appear to be wider apart, just like the FK, and when lined up together they are identical

My mk2 BFK conversion....simples........

I agree

I already have one surplus BSO and one surplus FK

Open the BSO and remove seats

Apply curtains

Open the FK and remove the four bays

Insert the four bays into the BSO

Apply yellow stripe and First Class door transfers

Remove the bogies from the FK (swap or spare)

Remove the coupling arms from the FK  (spare)

Throw the remains of the BSO and FK in the bin

The roof will still be slightly incorrect, but hardly noticeable unless you compare to photos

• RMweb Premium

I may have a suitable interior.....might be a CK or BCK interior(s) as I've broken up loads of coaches for carflats. I'll have a look when I get home.

• 2 months later...

I will almost certainly be picking up a rake each of Blue/Grey and NSE when they are released, but the livery I'd really like to see is Trans-Pennine (Provincial), as was also worn by 47475.

The Trans-Pennine colours are slightly different to the later Regional Railways livery, and given the doubt over whether we will ever see RR since apparently they don't sell so well, I am almost certain we will never see a proper run of Trans-Pennine. I wonder whether C&M or anyone else would be interested in commissioning some sets.

Update: I just e-mailed C&M to suggest/support the commissioning of such a set. Perhaps if anyone else would like to see the same, it would be worth sending them an e-mail too.

C&M have completed a few limited sets with Dapol, but have any been completed with Farish?

At least with the TransPennine livery there were a few rakes, and there are options
TSO
FK
NDX / NDA

Personally, I would purchase the Regional Railways versions and then modify them
Furthermore, with weathering the incorrect shade of light grey would be hardly noticeable

I too am disappointed there won't be any in ScotRail livery, albeit Mark 2, but there was only one rake
It looks like I will be purchasing the required coaches and then sending them for repainting (as these body shells are easier than the earlier versions)

Ironically the ScotRail livery NDX / NDA ended up with TransPennine, after they were deemed to be redundant
Some of the Mark 2 TSO also ended up with TransPennine, but they were in such poor condition they were just cannibalised for spares

Well, maybe C&M might commison Farish to produce some booksets of ScotRail livery aircon Mk2s, when they get around to making them that is. 

It would be a long wait, as Farish have no plans to replace the old Mark 2D coach with a new version

However, if they did plan it (let's say 2016) then Farish would probably release all the BR livery versions, the same as they are going to be doing for the Mark 2F shortly

As has been pointed out, we (C&M Models) have done all our commissions with Dapol up to this point.

The ScotRail 'Saltire' 156 is due out in the next few weeks, and hopefully this will generate sufficient funds for us to then commission something else.

The trick is to find something that is being produced in the near future, upon which you can then piggyback production of the desired limited edition. Their are plenty of ideas flying around in our head, and as yet we are undecided as to which of these will come to fruition next.

hopefully this will generate sufficient funds for us to then commission something else.

The trick is to find something that is being produced in the near future, upon which you can then piggyback production of the desired limited edition. Their are plenty of ideas flying around in our head, and as yet we are undecided as to which of these will come to fruition next.

Are you planning to keep on the modern image theme, or swap to earlier?

After our recent discussion (when I picked up my Class 47/7 models) in your shop with respect to the Large Logo Blue 37/4, I agree finding something can be a challenge

One that got me recently was the latest Dapol Class 156 in SPT livery

I had been advised by Dapol it was going to be Strathclyde PTE (SPTE orange and black)

Lima released this in OO gauge and it sold out, but that was current at the time

I believe this model would fit in nicely to some peoples layouts

I am hopeful Farish will release an updated Class 101 in this same livery, eventually

There are certainly plenty of options for a Farish limited edition, from the current range

I missed the first batch of Blue / Grey TSO, managed to acquire just two second hand ones, so not going to miss this one
The BSO has only recently sold out, and never had a problem acquiring FK

Just trying to work out how many I need...
Fort William / Oban, possibly three or four
Inverness, three rakes, possibly ten or eleven, added to the two already in place

Express
Now should I also purchase four for repainting into ScotRail livery
Perhaps better to be safe than sorry

NSE TSO having now arrived, with NSE BSO due in next 60 days.

Hmmm, odd that their availability has been split in time as they were announced together, displayed together as samples and originally dated for release together. I hope the BSOs haven't been rejected and gone back for reworking.

G.

Archived