Farish announce BR Mark 2A coaches

Andy Y

Mark 2A coaches arriving soon

from Graham Farish

Graham Farish are to introduce a new range of early Mark 2A coaching stock.

Three versions will become available over the next 18 months including the TSO, FK and BSO variants.

The coaches incorporate the following features:

* Correct body profile with gangway and end folding doors.

* Detailed interiors.

* Detailed chassis and underframe for either air or vacuum braked stock.

* Close coupling mechanism.

* NEM coupling pockets

* Buffer beam details. Dummy buckeye coupling in drop down position plus Air & Vacuum pipe details in an accessory bag

Each coach has a recommended retail price of £19.75

A huge vote of thanks from N-Gauge Glasgow Queen Street for these and the CCT. Top marks again! The Bashing-Blue era as it must be known can now be accurately captured in 2mm. Fantastic!

Hi All;

Pass me the lubricant for the flood gates please.

Hope availability is better for these than it was for the Blue/Grey Mk1s when they surfaced. Saying that, I have 15 of them now!!!

I'm assuming a selection of liveries will ensue.

Later;

STU from EGDL

I shall represent my joy in nautical flags...

Zulu.jpg

Excellent news and the final major gap in my one-day 1970's South Wales Mainline plans filled. Also noticed that they've slipped a cheeky Stanier 50' BG and Blue Riband Mk.1 RU in too! Huzah!

Pix

Excellent news and the final major gap in my one-day 1970's South Wales Mainline plans filled. Also noticed that they've slipped a cheeky Stanier 50' BG and Blue Riband Mk.1 RU in too! Huzah!

Pix

It is indeed excellent news. I'm hope that Network Southeast and Regional liveries will make an appearence too. And a Stanier 50' BG in blue would be great.

David

Hi,

All in all very welcoming and whilst pleased that the 2As are finally available just a teenie bit disappointed that there were no new tooled MK2 air-cons announced. They have been very conspicuous by their absence...

won't be too expensive with this batch of releases. [phew :-)]

And maybe we'll be finally be able to buy replacement bogies for the coaches with close coupling gates (hint hint Mr Allbright!)

es grüßt Euch

PC

It is indeed excellent news. I'm hope that Network Southeast and Regional liveries will make an appearence too. And a Stanier 50' BG in blue would be great.

David

I am totally with you on the blue Stainer BG, David. :)

Very pleased with this announcement. It's good to see that Bac-Far appear to take some notice of modeller's wish lists when developing new products (I see that there are a number of small tender engines announced in OO for example...).

I recently got my first examples of the new Mk1s (B/G CK, SK, BSK) and was very impressed with them. I am looking forward to MK2As made to an equally high standard.

:D

• 1 month later...

Please, please can we have BFK. I know there weren't so many of them but they are becoming the main line support coach of choice these days. 5305LA now have three of them!

Sad to see the 50' Stanier BG is not listed in blue - it would have been ideal to complement the Mk1 BG and GUV releases. I feel sure it has to happen eventually though. Easy one to do.

Who is going first on the Green/Cream Highland liveried Mk2a's as a limited edition?!

I've heard it mentioned that the coaches will be in blue grey but wont be branded with inter city markings. Anybody else heard or read similar?

Apart from a few examples (e.g. the vb conversions) all 2As had I-C lettering. It would be better to sell them as mk2z if they are leaving off IC.

The pictures on the website look to be OO gauge Mk2z which is why they don't have IC lettering.

• 4 months later...

Saw the EPs of these today. They are exactly how I envisaged they would be, after the Mk1s. Superb, right down to the fibreglass vestibule doors.

Having done my homework, I am now aware that the BSO is the same bodyshell as the BFK, which is the good news - but that whilst Mk2zs carried maroon and green liveries variously, none of the Mk2as did. Of those we run, 14064 (45305's coach) and 14099 (70013's coach) are Mk2a and did not carry maroon until we painted them so. 14055 was the last Mk2z BFK and may well have been maroon from new.

At that, perhaps the maroon BFKs I would like are going to have to be a special effort - although tricky with the painted window frames on the glazing, as with the BachFar Mk1s...

Only the Mk.2 FKs were maroon (and some green) when new, none of the other types which were blue/grey. They also had slightly different windows with four elements at the top, (like a wider Mk.1 window) rather than three as more typical for Mk.2 to 2c types. The Mk.2 coaches had sliding doors, like Mk.1s, which would have been light grey.

Yes, you get First Class leg room in Mk.2 & Mk.2a BSOs! The vents at the van end are the same for both BSO & BFK but the passenger end is quite different, of course (the old Triang/Hornby Mk.2 BFK has the correct pattern). There were a few BFKs downgraded to BSK in the 1980s.

I think maybe a simple interior kit and a set of extra cast vents might be in order.

Please, please can we have BFK. I know there weren't so many of them but they are becoming the main line support coach of choice these days. 5305LA now have three of them!

Who is going first on the Green/Cream Highland liveried Mk2a's as a limited edition?!

I'd have thought the support coach was also a good bet for someone to do as a limited edition.

Although Bachmann haven't announced them in 4mm or N, for the modern modeller a few mk2s in chocolate and cream or blood and custard would be good for rail tours to run with mk1 stock.

On the subject of the EPs, to my untrained eyes they looked pretty damn good. Nice detail, and the shape looks well captured in my opinion

jo

There aren't all that many Mk2s on charters. West Coast have those which were in the Mid Hants 'Green train', most of which are now maroon (the SOs, with their 2+1 seating, being fitted with curtains and used for 'Premier' service) as a result of the loss of the Steam Dreams work. There is a lovely FK in fresh green paint which lives at Southall but is seldom used because the charter operators don't find it useful. There are Met-Cam Pullmans in maroon mixed in as well. At Tyseley, Vintage Trains have some Mk2 TSOs

I am left wondering how easy it would be to re-livery a BSO, with the roof vents moved (you are quite right, Bernard!) - all the interior work would need is compartment walls and seats, as the cage is obviously removed to make way for the workbench, storage shelves, kitchen and dining table!

Equally (perhaps with the roof vent discrepancy overlooked), I wonder whether there might be scope for a limited edition - but I expect the margins would be too tight for it to work as a fund-raiser for our locos.

So far as I can work out, the following Mk2 BFKs are now support coaches:

14064 Maroon (Black ends, '5305 Locomotive Association' BR roundels) - 45305

14099 Maroon (Black ends, '5305 Locomotive Association' BR roundels) - 70013

17055 (Likely to match the above when it's done) - 30777

17041 Maroon (Maroon ends) 71000 (this was the first and for a very long time only Mk2 support coach)

17096 Pullman Style Umber & Cream - 35028

35508 Maroon (Black ends, BR roundels) - 44871

35517 Maroon (Maroon ends and WCR vinyls, was previously Black ends, BR roundels) - 45407

35518 Green (plain, large numerals) - 34067

Other early Mk2 BFKs on the main line include:

17102 Maroon (West coast vinyls, Maroon ends) - West Coast

17056 Maroon (no roundels, non-standard door numerals and no yellow stripe) - Riviera

17077 Riviera Blue & Cream

Maroon with black ends would seem to be the thing to go for, then, as five coaches have carried it, four still do and 71000 is going to be a rarity in 2mm!

I have no idea is whether there would be enough interest to make it worthwhile. I am only going to want two or three but how many other purchasers of 70013 or the Farish '5' might want one, I wonder? Given the mileage we cover 'engine and van', it would make an instant train for many a modern image layout...

Regulations regarding crash worthiness meant either a non passenger carrying mk1, such as a generator van, or a mk2 has had to be at the end of a mk1 set for the last few years, though I believe it's been relaxed in the last few months. The Riviera/ DB Schenker sets (Eastleigh based) have got quite a few mk2s in chocolate and cream and blood and custard. This train has a mk2 in chocolate and cream at each end.

IMG4746-XL.jpg

Here's a pair of Riviera blue ones with a blood and custard mk2 half way down the train

IMG0597-66050-66207-1Z27-XL.jpg

Again a mk2 at the end

IMG3271-1Z66-37603-37606-XL.jpg

And here's a mk2 at the leading end with a mk1 brake at the rear. The 37 remained on the rear all day, so the end vehicle was a non-mk1

IMG3691-20312-20308-1Z61-XL.jpg

Hope this is useful to anyone modelling a railtour in the last few years

jo

Archived