Farish announce BR Mark 2A coaches

Andy Y

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Got my blue/grey BSK and FK but the TSO seems rare as hen's teeth; all the box-shifters seem to have run out; it seems somebody has under-estimated demand.

Fitted short NEMs and they are a very floppy fit indeed, so I had to try several couplings before one stuck; they look great together now.  

Personally I don't recall black roofs (apart from filth) on any BR coaches until the NSE livery; I'll be spraying mine with the blue/grey Railmatch colour.

Spoke to Colin Albright at Leamington yesterday, he told me they completely underestimatd the demand. They also made the same number of each coach, and demand for the TSO was higher, so that one sold out very quickly. He suggested that I was very lucky to be able to get hold of a full rake.

He did suggest there will be a second run of the TSO owing to the demand.

How long have Bachmann been making models? Surely they should have enough experience to know that certain types of coaches will always be more popular than others?

I hope they learn from this when they order the Bulleids - I'd hate to be scraping around for BTKs...

How long have Bachmann been making models? Surely they should have enough experience to know that certain types of coaches will always be more popular than others?

I suspect they were referencing the somewhat underwhelming demand for all the variants of the 00 MK2a and played safe.

I suspect they were referencing the somewhat underwhelming demand for all the variants of the 00 MK2a and played safe.

Indeed, but didn't the same problem occur with the 00 mk2's as I seem to remember people saying that they couldn't get hold of the 00 TSO's after a while.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've e-mailed Bachmann today to ask if they're going to introduce new replacement short NEM couplings to fit the mark 2s and the SR goods brake vans, as the current items (379-402) are an unsatisfactory fit.

Hi Fit the Dapol short minitrains type coupler - a great fit and they sell in 10 packs - I was lucky and preorded 5 TSo, 1FK and 1 BSO for my Scottish PP rake.

Robert  

Hi,

I've fitted them too (NEMCOUP). Pulling is not a problem with short / short, pushing should be short / long - I have a DBSO + 4MK2A + Class 47/7. Looks great!!

Agree with you fully about a new style coupling replacement. I eMailed Colin months ago with the same question, unfortunately I never got a reply, which really is unlike him.

es grüßt

PC

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just received 2 of these new Mark 2a coaches from Hattons, and they are nice models.

I have a query about the ride height and roof profiles.

They sit somewhat lower than both the old Poole Farish Mark 2 A/C coaches and the current Bachman/ Farish Mark 1s

Not very familiar with them in the flesh as I live in New Zealand, but photos I have seen in the past of them in the same train as Mark 1s would have made me think the roof heights off the rail would have been about the same.

Have Bachman got it wrong or have I not been observant enough?

Nobody seems to have followed up this posting, despite it raising an important issue. I've recently assembled a rake including a current BG and restaurant car and the height difference is very noticeable. I'd appreciate some feedback on this from readers.

is it that some coaches run on larger dia. wheels that pushes up the height i wonder?  i look at some of the latest coaches from farish and think even they look like they are on tippy toes a bit.......for example the GUV Motorail blue/grey.

how about the pivot height under the bogies - is that deeper on the poole stock which means the coach sits higher on the bogies? 

im sure either way they are easy fixes.

• RMweb Premium

is it that some coaches run on larger dia. wheels that pushes up the height i wonder?  i look at some of the latest coaches from farish and think even they look like they are on tippy toes a bit.......for example the GUV Motorail blue/grey.

how about the pivot height under the bogies - is that deeper on the poole stock which means the coach sits higher on the bogies? 

im sure either way they are easy fixes.

I think you'll find the blue/grey Motorail GUV is a pre-Blue Riband item, so the comparison isn't valid. The wheel diameter is a factor though as the Mark 2s have (correctly) the smaller wheel. I've established with the help of Keith Parkin's Mark 1 Coaches and Michael Harris' Mark 2 Coaches that both have a height from rail to roof panels (i.e. excluding ventilators etc) of 12'4 1/2'' so something seems wrong somewhere. I can foresee that there'll be the same discrepancy with the Mark 2Fs.

Hallo,

regarding the height, if the MK2Fs are going to be nearer the MK2As in "fit form and function" than to the MK1s, there will "coupling issues" with the Dapol MK3s (man I love that phrase, so harmless) to which they were so often coupled in the scale 1to1

Try using the short NEMCOUP on each coach - great realism but, ähm, check out the verticals between the coupling heads

Farish, please note, you'll save yourself a lot of flak

es grüßt

PC

Try using the short NEMCOUP on each coach - great realism but, ähm, check out the verticals between the coupling heads

Is this a problem with the Farish or is it the Dapol mk3s? There is already a noted coupling height issue between the Dapol Mk3 coaches and their HSt power cars - is it the case that the Dapol Mk3s have couplers that are too low?

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Spoke to Colin Albright at Leamington yesterday, he told me they completely underestimatd the demand. They also made the same number of each coach, and demand for the TSO was higher, so that one sold out very quickly. He suggested that I was very lucky to be able to get hold of a full rake.

He did suggest there will be a second run of the TSO owing to the demand.

Do the manufacturers never learn? Of course there is going to be more demand for some coaches than others.

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann may have an empty warehouse, but some shops still have plenty of firsts and brakes that they can't sell because there are no seconds to go with them,

So its the shops that suffer for Bachmann's mistake. No crystal ball required, just some basic railway knowledge and common sense.

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the quantities to produce, wouldn't it be easier to predict if you looked at the numbers of 1:1 carriages of TSO, FO, & BSO in service on the network for the time period they are being produced for?

In the model world, especially N where prototypical train formations are more likely to be modelled, I'd have thought its fairly likely to mimic BRs requirements.

Archived