Farish announce BR Mark 2A coaches

Andy Y

Hello,

I managed to purchase a blue/grey TSO from my local model shop on Saturday! But that was the only one they had in stock apart from one NSE vehicle.

I have a number of TSOs on order. As I am modelling the Highland mainline I really mainly need MK2s as opposed to MK2As, the latter being air-braked, though the actual visible differences would appear to be few. The obvious difference I can think of is the interconnecting door colour and brake pipes, but that will only apply to the rear vehicle. I imagine there may be some differences with underframe detail?

I have to agree re-numbering is fiddly for coaches in N gauge, and the numbers are unlikely to be visible in normally operating, other than you will notice the missing "SC" prefix....

One day I might get round to doing this, but not a priority.

Cheers

Paul

Hello,

I managed to purchase a blue/grey TSO from my local model shop on Saturday! But that was the only one they had in stock apart from one NSE vehicle.

Hi Paul,

Can you tell me what regional prefix your new TSO has please?

Cheers,

Benn.

Cancelled my pre-order and went back to old trusty eHattons, so all 10 arrive in parcel
Was tempted to add the NSE livery BSO, for conversion to BFK, as several did run around Scotland briefly before the text was removed and the red stripe changed colour

Hello,

I am modelling the Highland mainline I really mainly need MK2s as opposed to MK2As, the latter being air-braked, though the actual visible differences would appear to be few

The obvious difference I can think of is the interconnecting door colour and brake pipes, but that will only apply to the rear vehicle

I imagine there may be some differences with underframe detail?

I have only managed to complete one Glasgow - Inverness rake, with two Mark 2A TSO and Mark 2D TSO(T)
TSO-FK-TSO-TSO(T)-BSO
The Mark 2A is correct for my time period, 1980s to sprinterisation

The next two rakes won't quite be correct, but they are as near as I can get, until I can add some First Class
TSO-TSO-BSO-TSO-TSO
The remaining two TSO will be used on an Oban / Fort William rake

Yes, that is perhaps not the best, if it's a higher standard layout as well! I'm sure most people won't be bothered about what letter prefix the coaches have, but the Mk2s would be a fairly new introduction to the WR in 1970, so I'm keen for them to be correct, the Mk1s I'm not quite so fussy about, appart from my 'local' set, which does need to have WR numbers!

Sods law says that this batch will also be ER numbers, but it will save me a quid or four... *Waits with bated breath for a picture* 

It seams that the B/G examples are as per introduction i.e. without branding - this is presumably why the first BSO was 9430 which lasted a grand total of two years 3 months! In which case apart from the FKs the vast majority were ER - with 5 BSO and 45 (out of 177) TSOs being delivered to the WR. In contrast to a comment above I think that omiting the inter-city branding is a real pain as it limits the options for B/G vehicles. I run my current Mk2As as MK2z - VB stock and E-G push pull stock (which AFAIR some had the branding). I can live with the detail errors (end doors and braking) more readily than running MK2As without branding. To prempt the usual comments - no I cannot add the inter-city symbol to a level of quality I would accept and the cost of getting somebody who can is almost as much as the model.

I will be gettting a few NSE for a Kings Lynn set. It seems that they don't have route brading (9422 sepent much of the time in NSE at Edge Hil anyway)

I'm guessing Farish made the decision to release the model without branding on the grounds that it's far easier for a modeller to apply branding than to remove it.

What disappointing is the lack of the FK in NSE livery. They've done the TSO and BSO in the later style with the darker blue, which the FKs never received (first class accomodation on the Waterloo-Exeter sets was a pair of BFKs)  Some Mk2a FKs did run in NSE, but the earlier version of the livery with the lighter blue.

I'm guessing Farish made the decision to release the model without branding on the grounds that it's far easier for a modeller to apply branding than to remove it.

What disappointing is the lack of the FK in NSE livery. They've done the TSO and BSO in the later style with the darker blue, which the FKs never received (first class accomodation on the Waterloo-Exeter sets was a pair of BFKs)  Some Mk2a FKs did run in NSE, but the earlier version of the livery with the lighter blue.

See reply #115, Farish chose the earlier period thus also allowing the modeller to decide it text needed to be added and then cover the later period

Good point that, about a lack of FK in NSE livery

Perhaps they were concerned about the poor sales of the FK in Blue / Grey, as these are still available!

And now ripe for a trip to the airbrush :declare:

That said I understand these NSE mk2s are in the later shade of blue, as per the recent 47/7, so it's probably for the best.  Need some nice 'pale' blue NSE mk2s as well!

Although if they ever do the earlier NSE livery I'd prefer some Mk1s. Perhaps when the Dapol 50 ever appears....

• RMweb Premium

My two blue and grey TSO's (along with a BSO I already had) have now been fitted with Railtec Transfers SC prefixed numbers and ScotRail names and are ready to go:

post-6910-0-79725400-1441392635_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-20395600-1441392643_thumb.jpg

Tempted to get a NSE one as well and change the stripe to blue etc.  Any advice on numbers please?  Anything that managed to turn up north of Glasgow or Edinburgh will qualify!!

Tempted to get a NSE one as well and change the stripe to blue etc.  Any advice on numbers please?  Anything that managed to turn up north of Glasgow or Edinburgh will qualify!!

Initially when these NSE livery coaches arrived they were rushed into service

Note these are Mark 2 TSO (and not Mark 2A)

No BSO were received

Several Mark 2A BFK (vacuum braked) also received, but only one in NSE livery, and also briefly carried the modified livery

As a result there was only one complete rake in NSE / modified livery

Due to the lack of TSO(T) or BSO(T) in the same livery it was eventually restricted to Aberdeen - Inverness duties, before it was repainted in the SCOTRAIL version of Regional Railways which solved the problem

See reply #115, Farish chose the earlier period thus also allowing the modeller to decide it text needed to be added and then cover the later period

Good point that, about a lack of FK in NSE livery

Perhaps they were concerned about the poor sales of the FK in Blue / Grey, as these are still available!

I did read post 115 but since the percentage of time these coaches had the lettering as oposed to not having it was very much with the former then doing it this way is still uneccessarily causing extra work to those who want then to look, at least from normal viewing distances, to be correct for the majority of the time the coaches were in service. Going on loco liveries 1980's sems to be popular the the 1970's

• RMweb Premium

My two blue and grey TSO's (along with a BSO I already had) have now been fitted with Railtec Transfers SC prefixed numbers and ScotRail names and are ready to go:

attachicon.gifP1090001.JPG

attachicon.gifP1090003.JPG

Blimey you didn't hang around getting them renumbered etc :)

• RMweb Premium

Blimey you didn't hang around getting them renumbered etc :)

Ten minute job really, like their OO scale counterparts the numbers remove easily with the tip of a cocktail stick and thanks to no InterCity brandings on them I didn't even need to remove those either.  In the end I just chose SC prefixed numbers that were for the right type on the RailTec transfers sheet and done.

I also changed the couplings to the Dapol type as I have banned the train set Rapidos!!

I popped into a model shop about ten days ago to grab a number of these, but only came away with one blue/grey TSO, one blue/grey BSO and four NSE TSOs. That was all they had. I hope we don't see the sort of shortages we saw last time around with the blue/greys.

The NSEs are definitely the later, darker blue. Here is a comparison with the Dapol early NSE 86.

post-10636-0-95339800-1441641866_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

86401 worked out of Liverpool St, but for how long?

86401 at Cambridge on its record-breaking run to Liverpool Street in 1987. Looks like Mk2 stock behind it so you may have found your prototype. ;)

14087018360_1471942cbb_h.jpg23 March 1987 - Liverpool St - Cambridge special hauled by 86401 sets new 48min time - 7min. 86401 is seen on arrival at Cambridge. by Newson, Dash, Sell and Jenkins, on Flickr

Well the NSE BSOs are with us now, mine just arrived this afternoon, and they're every bit as nice as the TSOs.

Question now is do I risk a steady hand or try a decal to make the 1st class stripe (2 need to become BFKs you see)? 

Noticed the NSE BSO at one of the traders (think it Cheltenham Model Centre) at N Gauge Show

I thought about it, whilst I looked at other traders

Decided against it as it would need to be converted to a BFK

So instead purchased another blue / grey BSO (new) and FK (previous), and these will become another BFK

Painting the yellow stripe should be easy

With the roof still removed

Mask the lower edge of the upper blue, using this as a template for the straight line

Apply white 1 on passenger doors

Easy enough as you only have to paint yellow along half the coach, on each side

The main issue are the different roof vent positions between the BSO and BFK

The choices are either to remove and replace all those on the BSO, or use the FK and remove some of them

Personally, I am going for the FK option, then adding that the BSO body

Oh Karhedron what have you done.  Cambridge!  That would have 317s and later 321s I imagine.  86s swapping to 47s for Kings Lynn surely, 101s pottering about, lots of postal stock.  Must resist, must resist, must resist......

Yes, I imagine the first 321 would have turned up around a year after this shot. But what are the chances of anyone making an N Guage 321?  :jester:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102934-revolution-proposing-class-320-321-emus-in-n/

Yes, I imagine the first 321 would have turned up around a year after this shot. But what are the chances of anyone making an N Guage 321?  :jester:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102934-revolution-proposing-class-320-321-emus-in-n/

Yes the first 321/3 would have been about a year later; don't know about a 321/4 though. (Irony alert - for the readers of the 321 thread, this is a joke).

Having beein involved in the Kings Lynn electrification I cannot remember seeing many/any 321s on service trains at Cambridge but then with the surveying kit we had we aimed for the LHS brake van if we needed to use the train.

Archived