Farish announce BR Mark 2A coaches

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

86401 at Cambridge on its record-breaking run to Liverpool Street in 1987. Looks like Mk2 stock behind it so you may have found your prototype. ;)

14087018360_1471942cbb_h.jpg23 March 1987 - Liverpool St - Cambridge special hauled by 86401 sets new 48min time - 7min. 86401 is seen on arrival at Cambridge. by Newson, Dash, Sell and Jenkins, on Flickr

In 1987, all the coaches would have carried the lighter blue - the dark blue was't introduced until mid 1988. It was by no means universally applied - Hornsey patch-painted their early-blue 313s and 317s into the later NSE by adding curves to the upsweeps and removing the BR logos.

86401 was intended for the Northampton Mk1 "Cobblers" sets but roved far and wide and would be just as happy with InterCity or Blue/grey stock as well as freight!

I believe 86401 in NSE turned up in Scotland on more than one occasion!!

I can confirm that

I eventually had photos of all Class 86, 87, 90, and 91 that visited Scotland in the late 1980s

It became increasingly difficult to see some of the Class 86/2 and 86/4 after they were sub-allocated to NSE duties, but they still turned up in Scotland, usually to/from Glasgow Works

After 86401 was repainted I thought I had no chance of seeing it

I am sure I saw it at least a dozen times, including once on a freight at Carlisle

Ironically, I saw a Class 47/4 just one week after NSE livery was launched which was a big surprise

• RMweb Premium

Just been looking at repainting the red stripe on my NSE TSO.  Some pictures show them with Regional Railways/Provincial light blue, however in the 1992 Platform 5 combined volume 5226 is shown with a "dark grey" painted stripe and Scotrail fleetnames.

What colour was that dark stripe?  Looks more dark blue than grey to me.

Just been looking at repainting the red stripe on my NSE TSO.  Some pictures show them with Regional Railways/Provincial light blue, however in the 1992 Platform 5 combined volume 5226 is shown with a "dark grey" painted stripe and Scotrail fleetnames.

What colour was that dark stripe?  Looks more dark blue than grey to me.

Several air braked NSE livery Mark 2 were transferred to Scotland

Initially they ran around in NSE livery, but eventually had any route logos painted over, NSE painted out, and the red stripe painted light blue (same as the blue used on ScotRail) livery

With the roof removed you say Mike? 

I didn't realise that could be done as mine seemed like a one piece shell, such is the tightness of the fit! 

That'll be damn useful though

I was waiting for the reply from Mike, but nothing so here is mine

I wasn't aware the roof formed part of the moulding, I have still to modify mine

I have still to work out how to strip the model down

Lol, all this time I've been reading your username as mike rr - sorry dude!

It's happened numerous times on this forum, doesn't seem to happen on others

I did ask the owner / moderator to update my username to MJKERR, and that solved the issue on another forum

Otherwise, mikeistan comes back (Lee Evans style)

• RMweb Premium

I repainted one of the last batch of BSOs into a regional/NSE BFK by scratchbuiling an interior. I need to go back and move some vents around, but it would have been so much easier starting from an NSE liveried one!

SI850817_zps8acf3f07.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Just finished changing the red stripes to blue on a TSO and BSO (the latter will be BFK'd at some point plus renumbering still to be done).  For reference the NSE fleet names came off with a cocktail stick very easily and when I get around to renumbering I expect they will similarly come off.

post-6910-0-35263100-1442868756_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-27389900-1442868765_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-39599500-1442868773_thumb.jpg

Really must finish the scenary at some point, pretty sure the Scottish Highlands are less masking tape and screwed up pages from the Evening Standard and more granite and moss....  :jester:

They were all vac braked IIRC (MK 2z) .. Inverness got all the vac stock

Apologies, I remember what happened now, resulting in some Scottish stock swapping from vacuum to air braked

With the Inverness stock the incoming loco had to be removed at Aberdeen

The planned loco was air only, which is quite rare for an older diesel

A further replacement loco had to come from Inverness, resulting in the next two Inverness services leaving within a few minutes of each other

• RMweb Premium

Just been converting a blue/grey BSO to a BSO(T) and whilst adding the mini red stripe (thank God the roof sections are easily removable!) I have noticed that the distance between the top thin white stripe and the roof line seems to be a bit thiner than it should be,

It could just be my imagination of course but now I have a very thin indeed barely visible red stripe above the buffet area and it looks a bit wrong!

• 2 months later...

I hadn't got around to buying any of the NSE Mark 2s yet, and thought I'd pick some up at Warley. Bit of a mistake ...

After scouring all of the trade stands I only found three or four NSE Mk 2s at the whole show - and all BSOs. I bought 2 of the BSOs from the Modelmania stand, who were selling them for £24.75. Cheltenham had one or two at the full £28+. Bachmann didn't even have any on their own full-price section of their stand.

I commented to the chap at Modelmania that he had hundreds of Hawksworths in crimson and cream and chocolate and cream, that didn't seem to be shifting at all, but the NSE coaches were like hens teeth. He first said they came out "ages" ago (only about two months, surely) then came out with the old "NSE doesn't sell well" so he doesn't order many in - he didn't seem to take too kindly to me replying that if he had more of them, I would have bought them, but he hadn't seemed to have sold any Hawksworths in the two hours between my first visit and coming back to buy the coaches! 

It looks like Hattons do still have some TSOs, so I guess I'll have to buy some from there. 

It looks like Hattons do still have some TSOs, so I guess I'll have to buy some from there.

I wasn't hanging about, when the second release arrived, that's where I ordered my first of batch of 10 from

I have to agree, the NSE livery coaches have not sold as well, but they will shortly sell out, so sadly bite the bullet before you bite the empty air!

• 2 weeks later...

I commented to the chap at Modelmania that he had hundreds of Hawksworths in crimson and cream and chocolate and cream, that didn't seem to be shifting at all, but the NSE coaches were like hens teeth. He first said they came out "ages" ago (only about two months, surely) then came out with the old "NSE doesn't sell well" so he doesn't order many in

He might not have ordered many, but someone did - the TSOs appear to be OOS with Farish now. So much for the "NSE doesn't sell" mantra, eh?

G.

Not panic buying honest but just purchased 4 x MK2a TSO's from 2 different sellers! They seem to be selling pretty well.

With the Dapol 50 & 33 being produced and the stunning Farish 47 in stock I think they need to consider a re-run as the demand will only be greater in the near future.

Darren NSE DAZ

With the Dapol 50 & 33 being produced and the stunning Farish 47 in stock I think they need to consider a re-run as the demand will only be greater in the near future.

Sadly many other items are now out of stock and unlikely to see a second run, however coaches are unique in that with further (Farish) locomotive releases without the coaches available there is little point

I suspect in 2016 the priority will be the Mark 2F coaches, and this may see a third run of the Mark 2A coaches

It has been hinted to me a further run of modern image Class 47 will occur as well, as all the previous releases are now sold out (InterCity and Parcels livery)

It's a shame but Farish don't appear to have (m)any new or outstanding modern passenger traction, locos or units, scheduled for future releases. There needs to be a bit more joined up thinking with new announcements and releases from them. There'll be very little to go with the mk2fs when they do finally arrive.

G.

It's a shame but Farish don't appear to have (m)any new or outstanding modern passenger traction, locos or units, scheduled for future releases

There'll be very little to go with the mk2fs when they do finally arrive.

The Class 47/7 was supposed to be released along with the Mark 2F coaches

Sadly the Mark 2F coaches ran into severe problems, and have been promised for late 2016

The last of the 2015 releases are due very soon, so next years releases (2016/2017) should be published soon

This should confirm the expected date for the Mark 2F coaches, some of the final DC to DCC conversions, and then re-releases as expected

As discussed before, plenty of scope of liveries for the Class 47, and there are now four main (and now correct) chassis to be used

There is even room for the Class 37/4 in some of those missing liveries!

The Class 47/7 was supposed to be released along with the Mark 2F coaches

Sadly the Mark 2F coaches ran into severe problems, and have been promised for late 2016

Although they were announced at the same time I don't recall a promise that they'd be out at the same time. The 47/7 variation on existing tooling is obviously easier than the ground-up design of a new coaching range. I know they've put a lot of work in but wouldn't use the phrase 'severe problems'.

Although they were announced at the same time I don't recall a promise that they'd be out at the same time. The 47/7 variation on existing tooling is obviously easier than the ground-up design of a new coaching range. I know they've put a lot of work in but wouldn't use the phrase 'severe problems'.

The release date for the Class 47/7 and Mark 2F coaches was originally "Late 2014"

Later it was advised they would not even be the same year!

The Mark 2F coach then slipped a further year...

From the information I was given by Bachmann about the production of the Mark 2F I am being kind calling it "severe problems"

There is so much technical information available, and to have to start again from scratch... (after realising the model was actually closer to a Mark 2E instead of a Mark 2F)

Archived