Farish announce BR Mark 2A coaches

Andy Y

Hallo,

I was put off buying any more that a pushpull set of MK2As after seeing the size difference between those and the MK1s / locos. Made a huge dent in my trust in the company. Let's just hope that the MK2Fs match the height of the MK1s which match the height of the locos.

But I doubt Bach/Far will ever give out details "until it is too late"  

es grüßt

pc

For reference I took photo's of a Mk1 coupled to a mk2a on the East Lancashire Railway and they were the same height.

The Farish Mk2a and Dapol Mk3 are the same height.. The Farish Mk1 (new type) is around 1-2mm taller and it makes no difference if you swap the bogies... I tried..

Puzzled! Because this has never been brought up in any review I have read..

Cheers

Mark

Has anyone got any idea if the top blue on the NSE versions is the same blue used on the Regional Railways liveried examples used on the North Wales coast?

Would be a relatively easy repaint if so. Think they ran as 3x mk2A TSO & 1x mk1 BSK?

That's what I was thinking.. The wheels in the different bogies are different diameters so maybe that, as well as investigating the bogie pivots on the Mk1 may help to lower them.. Also how about a slim washer in the bogie pivot on the mk2a and Mk3 to lift them a little??

Cheers

Mark

Hi Ash,

There was NSE Light Blue (original blue), then NSE Dark Blue.  There was the original Provincial Light Blue , then Provincial Dark Blue (where Provincial Light Blue was used for the stripe - same colour as the ScotRail stripe). 

Sadly none of the above four are the same shade.  Provincial Dark Blue is darker (colder) than NSE Dark Blue.

There's quite a useful listing of the paints used here.....

http://fox-transfers.co.uk/paint-guide

Cheers,

Paul

Many thanks Paul. 

Has anyone removed glazing from these? Looks fiddly with the tiny droplight bars. Guessing it'd be a nightmare.

Hi,  I am quite literally taking a break from said chore to write this to you.

I'm prepping BSOs, TSOs and FKs all for repainting.  So far I've only managed to get one strip on one side out still complete.  If you thought the amount of glue on Farish mk1s was bad, these (form wwhat I'm experiencing) are even worse.  In a lot of places they've used so much glue that it has welded the glazing and shell plastics together!

Be very careful when you do yours.  My tips would be....

1.  Remove chassis/inside by running thumb under the join of shell to chassis, both sides, then gently prise out.

2.  If you're doing a total repaint, remove the gangway connectors and end doors.  These are fiddly but once the bottom is off you'll see the clips for these.

- The gangway connector comes off by applying gentle pressure to four tiny tabs from the inside, and then it will come away toward the outside.

- This reveals two tiny tabs for the end doors. Apply pressure to tabs from the outside and it will come away toward the [inside of the coach].

3.  Remove the roof.  From the inside unclip at 6 points, 3 along each side.  It then just comes away and is by far the easiest part ot remove.

4.  Glazing.  A nightmare the level of which depends upon how much glue has been used.

- Gently flex the bodyshell along its length, both sides.  You should hear the glue cracking as the bond starts to weaken.

- Apply light pressure downward on the glazing from the outside, thus pushing it in.  Use the fleshy part of the thumb/finger, not your nail.  Again, not too hard, just to weaken the bond.

- From the inside, using a shrp fine edge, e.g. a tiny flathead screwdriver, gently prise the glazing at the bottom of the windows.  The bottom of the windows is generally where most of the glue is.  The windows seem to be in pairs then a very fine 'spure' to the next pair.  If    you prise too much too fast or too hard you just break all the bits and have lots of pairs of windows.

I've got some of the small door windows stuck in the bodyshell because so much glue has been used and the rest of it has just broken away.  I'm hoping a bit of isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud will get them out.

Good luck!

Paul

P.S.  If you're repainting the upper dark blue then you'll need to repaint the windows also, as the window frame is painted on the plastic glazing.

Thanks a lot Paul. I haven't actually bought one to do yet, I'm in two minds whether to wait as I'm sure Farish will do them eventaully.

It's tempting to repaint one with the NSE blue left in place to see if it looks right. It can't be too far off and would be a doddle to do. But then I'd have to paint the mk1 BSK and 37 in NSE blue to match, which would feel wrong. 

Just to add to the debate about the height of the Mk2's, here is a Farish example sitting alongside one of CJM's.

It unfortunately doesn't seem to be just a matter of how the coaches sit on the bogies but one of proportions too. It's really quite noticeable how odd they look next to other stock, locos and other coaching stock. Real shame. I'm still trying to decide how I can subtlety 'lift' them up a bit without making them look odd somewhere else.

post-1746-0-42123100-1450016339_thumb.jpeg

All Mk1 & Mk2 stock should be 12ft 4.5 ins to the apex of the roof. This equates to 49.5mm in 4mm and 24.75mm in 2mm.

The Farish coach looks to have the better proportions in the photo. The CJM one has too much depth above the windows and consequently the grey stripe below the cantrail is too wide.

Good luck--I haven't got a suitable way of measuring the roof height above the rails. I look forward to hearing your results.

Try getting a piece of wood or card. Place it on the rails and mark the height of the top of the roof using a pencil. Much easier than trying to do it directly.

Remove the coupling to make this that much easier.

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know of anybody who has either the blue/grey or NSE Mk2 TSO still in stock anywhere please?  Need one more for a project and they seem to have completely vanished bar a solitary one that went for silly money on EBay yesterday.  Alternatively does anyone have one or two they are looking to sell please?

Does anyone know of anybody who has either the blue/grey or NSE Mk2 TSO still in stock anywhere please?  Need one more for a project and they seem to have completely vanished bar a solitary one that went for silly money on EBay yesterday.  Alternatively does anyone have one or two they are looking to sell please?

You could have posted this request last week!

I watched a NSE BSO and NSE TSO from Rails Of Sheffield eBay UK account

As always, I submitted an offer, less £5 (as they seem to accept these), after it was still there after four days

The Farish coach looks to have the better proportions in the photo. The CJM one has too much depth above the windows and consequently the grey stripe below the cantrail is too wide.

I agree. I looked at a couple of photos of the prototype as I wasn't sure.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I'm a bit late replying - the glazing comes out aside and the bars are pretty easy to repaint with a small brush and a steady hand, and it all goes back together well too. Hardest part in repainting these is painting/masking round all the raised detail!

Cheers

Simon

• 1 month later...

I have been watching videos of Waterloo-Exeter trains behind the 50s and 47s this morning, and I could not see any NSE MK2s where the blue looked any darker than the rest. To me they all looked like they were in the earlier, lighter blue.

I am therefore almost certain that a full rake of the darker blue NSE MK2s was probably non-existent, and that only the odd coach was repainted with the darker blue. I would be very interested to know whether anyone can confirm or dispel this!

Thanks.

Archived