Update on Farish announcements from 2011

Andy Y

Farish current status of forthcoming products

The current status of previously announced models in the Graham Farish range is;

Production stage

Early Class 08 diesel shunter

BR Standard 4MT 4-6-0

WD 2-8-0

Artwork Stage

Class 20

FNA nuclear flask wagon

JPA Autoballaster

In the tool room

Blue Pullman

At the CAD design stage

Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0

LNER J39 0-6-0

SR Pill box brake van

BR Mark 1 sleeping car

• RMweb Gold

Maybe now they have this 7mm diameter coreless motor it'll be easier for them to shoehorn a drive system into it!

Cheers,

Alan

I'm sure it was reported that the delay to the 2MT was due to difficulties in squeezing the current drive mechanism into the smaller tender and it would now be loco drive with the new coreless motor.

The Bachmann website is now updated with photos of the painted N gauge 5MTs and WDs. Have to say, the 5MT looks lovely

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/farish/372-728.jpg&cat_no=372-728&info=0&width=650&height=206

Tom.

The new Southern releases planned for Farish and Dapol are really great. It does highlight the need for a good SR steam freight loco though. Since the demise of the O1 there is nothing at all suitable for Southern Region goods trains.

Indeed it does. Standard Arthurs with the MN and Bulleid coaches make the Southern look very tempting, and that is before taking into account prospective releases from Dapol.

A lot of interesting announcements, here and on other posts, though I have always felt that the Std 4 tank was one of the Poole products sufficiently good as to not be a priority. The A2 looks interesting for my GSW scene in later years!. And a Duchess with better sized wheels may get a place. And Mk 1 sleepers - yes please. And some of the other items do look nice.

I would certainly rather they concentrated on the Ivatt 260 for which my my estimation we have been waiting over some 5-6 years - a very very long time. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it shows serious lack of judgement if they did not anticipate such difficulty in producing it at the time they announced it. And when you think Dapol produced the 14XX the 262 Tank, and Terrier within that timescale.........

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gang;

Just seen some sneaky pics from Ally Pally. Nothing of great surprise (yet) to see in the Farish cabinet. Looks like the Network Rail 37 is in there but the opportunity has been missed to correctly portray the modified fuel tank/ERTMS area between the bogies...nevertheless, it looks great!!!

Later;

STU from EGDL

• RMweb Gold

All 3 versions of the new Class 20s were on display. Looked very nice too, although the circuit board is visible in the cab.

3e1e34bc.jpg

The 5MT was also there in painted form and looks very very nice indeed.

b33df04f.jpg

40b0fca5.jpg

a1a61c8d.jpg

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Alan. Unfortunately the iPhone still struggles a bit with glass and reflections!

I didn't have the opportunity to ask about release date unfortunately, but Bachmann's website says August/September. Looking at the samples on show, I'm not sure why we might have to wait another 5/6 months though! Seems quite a long period compared to the time it took to release other models after the painted samples showed up.

I am really curious to see either this or the WD in motion. It's going to be interesting to see if there is a marked improvement in performance over the current tender drive models. I did note that the 5MT has traction tyres on the rear set of drivers too.

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the samples on show, I'm not sure why we might have to wait another 5/6 months though! Seems quite a long period compared to the time it took to release other models after the painted samples showed up.

Tom

Hi

I'm guessing its down to production slots.

Cheers

Paul

I'm guessing its down to production slots.

Or with a bit of luck they are actually just being pessimistic on the website and it'll be here sooner! Hopefully, I'm eager to see what this new drive mechanism is like!

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks Alan. Unfortunately the iPhone still struggles a bit with glass and reflections!

I didn't have the opportunity to ask about release date unfortunately, but Bachmann's website says August/September. Looking at the samples on show, I'm not sure why we might have to wait another 5/6 months though! Seems quite a long period compared to the time it took to release other models after the painted samples showed up.

I am really curious to see either this or the WD in motion. It's going to be interesting to see if there is a marked improvement in performance over the current tender drive models. I did note that the 5MT has traction tyres on the rear set of drivers too.

Tom

Hi Tom

While I too am keen to see the new loco drive models run using the new 7mm coreless "micro motor", I have to say there's not a lot wrong with the performance of the current tender-drives in my experience, they are smooth, whisper quiet and very controllable.

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roy.

It wasn't really meant to be a criticism of the current arrangement, I'm more than happy with the three tender drive Farish engines purchased so far, and have to say my Black 5 runs like an absolute dream. However even that very occasionally suffers motion lock at particularly low speeds and I'm interested to see if this new loco drive eliminates this issue entirely.

Tom.

Archived