Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the info. Mike. I don't plan to run the layout to a timetable, though I'll try and use appropriate rolling stock, where possible. A little foray into the LNER might not be a bad thing!

Jeff

• Like 2

Many thanks for the info. Mike. I don't plan to run the layout to a timetable, though I'll try and use appropriate rolling stock, where possible. A little foray into the LNER might not be a bad thing!

Jeff

Will we see A4 etc?

Hi Jeff,

Sorry it's taken me until now to catch up (I've been a trifle busy last w/e!!!) but I've had an idea!

You'll HATE me for this, I know but, . . . . .

How about the landform around the 'new' branch falling away quite steeply from the outside of the layout towards the centre operating well? There could easily be a beck or something trickling down the middle of this slope.

I'm thinking that this could allow your mainline to pass at the head of this 'valley' or, on a low embankment (no viaduct building required!) while your branch, being further down the valley could, . . . . . utilise, . . . . . the, . . . . . . branch viaduct that you built earlier!!!!! (hope the radii would work?)

This would mean that you have quite a major scenic feature at either end of the layout and I don't think it interferes with your access?

I've looked back at your various plans and I think it could work! I'm certainly not suggesting you should or ought to do it (it's YOUR railway!), I just think of all the work you put into building the branch viaduct!

It's okay, now you can tell me to f-off!!!!

Cheers matey!

John E.

• RMweb Premium

That's a good question Andy! Believe it or not, I don't have a single A3 or A4 in my collection. Most of my steamers are LMS-related or BR Standards.

I do have a scheme to sometimes pretend KL is in the Western Region, so I can run Warships, Baby Deltics and Westerns. So why not imagine that it's also in deepest Northumberland on the ECML - and run A4s on it!? Lol. Rule 1 applies!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ha ha John!! I'd never tell you to f-off!!!!!

Believe it or not, your idea was discussed much earlier in the thread in a slightly different context. I was suffering from "viaduct addiction" at the time and wanted an excuse to build a THIRD viaduct. It was to go in the area you suggested, imagining the river flowing from upper left to lower right on the plan. Andy P even suggested the viaduct with a canal and pub nearby. I could do all of the things that have been suggested, but I'm quite happy with where I've got to in the last few days.

So now you can tell me to f..... :O Lol.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

So now you can tell me to f..... :O Lol.

Ha, ha, ha!!! As If!!!

Glad you can take it, mate! I do remember now, the previous discussion about the third viaduct, never mind!

Maybe you can tell but S&C fever is striking me down again as we 'speak' - there was mention in post 891 by Rowsley17D about an 8F struggling past with a heavy train - WOW!! Thanks mate, that has really set me off again and my mojo is back! Yippee!

Cheers all,

John E.

Don't forget A3's worked the S&C for about 4 years. Not sure if Peppercorn A1's too. A fireman friend of mine once mentioned he preferred the A1 to a 'Royal Scot' and an 8F to a 9F so no doubt he saw them from a shovellers viewpoint ie : Less work = more time to enjoy the scenery....

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ha, ha, ha!!! As If!!!

Glad you can take it, mate! I do remember now, the previous discussion about the third viaduct, never mind!

Maybe you can tell but S&C fever is striking me down again as we 'speak' - there was mention in post 891 by Rowsley17D about an 8F struggling past with a heavy train - WOW!! Thanks mate, that has really set me off again and my mojo is back! Yippee!

Cheers all,

John E.

I'm glad to hear that John. I suspected as much by the number of posts you've done recently. Once the bug strikes - there's no stopping it!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget A3's worked the S&C for about 4 years. Not sure if Peppercorn A1's too. A fireman friend of mine once mentioned he preferred the A1 to a 'Royal Scot' and an 8F to a 9F so no doubt he saw them from a shovellers viewpoint ie : Less work = more time to enjoy the scenery....

Larry, you've just made my day. I've a couple of Peppercorns - an A1 and an A2. I'd love to give them a good running on KL. As for 9Fs - can't have too many of them!

Just come out of the bunker. Knackered. The risers are almost complete, but the drill is on charge (I'm sure I'm singlehandedly financing Arcelor-Mittal's steel production with the number of screws I've used) and it's time for coffee. What was my schedule? Risers and boards in 2-3 days. so far it's taken 7 at 4-5 hours a day. Overkill and over-the-top, definitely.

Jeff

That's a good question Andy! Believe it or not, I don't have a single A3 or A4 in my collection. Most of my steamers are LMS-related or BR Standards.

I do have a scheme to sometimes pretend KL is in the Western Region, so I can run Warships, Baby Deltics and Westerns. So why not imagine that it's also in deepest Northumberland on the ECML - and run A4s on it!? Lol. Rule 1 applies!!

Jeff

Ha Ha :boast: picking up Dominion of Canada next week, :sungum: smug git or wot, ha ha :no: I will put pics on Masons Lane. Can I come up and run my Hall and Castle on KL then? he he hehhehehehe

• RMweb Premium

Ha Ha :boast: picking up Dominion of Canada next week, :sungum: smug git or wot, ha ha :no: I will put pics on Masons Lane. Can I come up and run my Hall and Castle on KL then? he he hehhehehehe

GWR locos on KL?!! That's pushing it! :no:

Don't get me wrong - I DO like the A3s and A4s - very much. I noticed you had Coronach on Masons Lane - nice looking beast. Is Dominion one of the Hornbys in that nice green colour? Of course, the real McCoy is heading to Shildon shortly for the A4 get-together.

Btw... I think it's about time you built another diorama, since you've had so much fun with those 48 inches. How about a line running parallel to an embankment, at the bottom of which is a pathway and stream? Stick a pub and rail-crossing at one end, adjacent to the river. GWR - so we can see your Castles...

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, Just got back from another visit to Kendal. Unbroken autumn sunshine all the way. The Eden and Lune valleys were just stunning, especially the view from the top of Stainmore summit towards Kirkby Stephen and beyond. Thought you might need some inspiration so you can look forward to modelling that S&C landscape.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Just got back from another visit to Kendal. Unbroken autumn sunshine all the way. The Eden and Lune valleys were just stunning, especially the view from the top of Stainmore summit towards Kirkby Stephen and beyond. Thought you might need some inspiration so you can look forward to modelling that S&C landscape.

Cheers! I always love the view from Stainmore, especially when you can see over to Blencathra in the distance.

Almost got all the boards in now. The hillsides in front of the fiddle yard are going to be approaching 2 metres off the floor in places!! Bl**dy hell, WHAT AM I BUILDING HERE!! Lol.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to spoil your enthusiasm but an A4 would definitely be out of place on the branch! The Wensleydale branch running to Hawes was mainly worked by G5's (0-4-4 tanks) I'm afraid. The only time anything bigger went that far up the branch was on rail tours. Redmire was the limit for the larger stuff when they worked the limestone trains back to Teesside. If you want a G5 it will have to be a kit build as there are none rtr about.

Al

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to spoil your enthusiasm but an A4 would definitely be out of place on the branch! The Wensleydale branch running to Hawes was mainly worked by G5's (0-4-4 tanks) I'm afraid. The only time anything bigger went that far up the branch was on rail tours. Redmire was the limit for the larger stuff when they worked the limestone trains back to Teesside. If you want a G5 it will have to be a kit build as there are none rtr about.

Al

Not a problem Al as I've not got any A4s and if I had they'd be running on the mainline.

You may have noticed I've been doing a bit of building work?!! Glad I did it now and not after the track went down. It's been chaos! If you want to pop round next week, please do. I'll be away this weekend and currying on the 19th. Maybe there'll be some track down by then.

Jeff

GWR locos on KL?!! That's pushing it! :no:

. Is Dominion one of the Hornbys in that nice green colour? Of course, the real McCoy is heading to Shildon shortly for the A4 get-together.

Best wishes,

Jeff

D.O.C is the new Bachmann one I may also get it's sister, Dwight D Eisenhower in BR late crest.

• RMweb Premium

D.O.C is the new Bachmann one I may also get it's sister, Dwight D Eisenhower in BR late crest.

When you get Dominion, let me know what the running quality is, now they've got rid of the split-chassis.

I always prefer Bachmann locos, but the Hornby A4 is supposed to be a better shape. Bit more expensive though. When I get the layout to a running level I'll have to invest in some more locos. I'm avoiding the temptation at the mo! Good luck with the Loch Leven sale. I hope you drive a hard bargain, as it's a quality layout.

Jeff

I bought the Hornby Dominion of Canada, kind of had to, since it normally is the closest A4 to here !

Kind of curious to see how the Bachmann DoC runs, as the Hornby one is a little tender in the valve gear, and the older split framed Bachmann A4 I have pulls like a mule, its one of a few locos I have that can manage a full 12 coach train around Long Marton. (when the coaches don't derail...or come apart)

As regards engine allocations, Stephen Rabone has a couple of pages on his web page:

http://steverabone.com/

that includes a couple of days of trainspotting he and his dad did in 1957, 58 and 63, which gives loco details. It is not an exclusive list, but gives some ideas as to what was on the S&C on those days.

James

• RMweb Premium

James, that's a very useful link. The photos of the Malham Cove and Settle areas could prove useful, scenic-wise. The old B&W pics taken by his dad deserve further study.

Cheers.

Jeff

Always a pleasure to catch up on developments here, Jeff. You're doing the right thing by removing the branch line viaduct, it makes the main line viaduct look all the more spectacular! Keep up the excellent work :)

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

Always a pleasure to catch up on developments here, Jeff. You're doing the right thing by removing the branch line viaduct, it makes the main line viaduct look all the more spectacular! Keep up the excellent work :)

Cheers,

Will

Hi Will,

You were the first to suggest that something was amiss with my original plan (way back on page 8 or 9 of this thread!). It was you that suggested I build a curved viaduct. So I'm pleased you are in agreement with me over the mods I've made. The whole thing is less cluttered and lets the main viaduct "strut its stuff".

It's also good that you look at the thread every few weeks. Maybe you get a better perspective than me, as I'm so "immersed in the mire"!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, Once you have the electrics etc sorted under the the track boards are you going to board out the subframe and use the space for storage?

I thought I'd leave the top of the subframe completely open, in case access is needed. However, the subframe is 80cm above the floor, so there is a lot of storage space under it. All that space will have to be utilised somehow!

At least I can now "finalise" the position of the fiddle yard "roads" and where the Branch link is going.

Jeff