Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

If it took 10 pages for the viaducts, ten for the wiring, ten for.... can you IMAGINE how many pages the ballasting will take!! Lol. Probably ballasting in February, Larry. See you in a hundred pages!! :O

Jeff

I'd better get my order in for a decent Mayan Survival Pod then...... :tomato:

Hi Jeff, I've read all 100 pages as the thread has developed and deviated and this is my whole second post. :scared:

I really like your tunnel mouth but for me (and probably only me) the arch doesn't quite look right. Looking closely at a picture of the actual tunnel mouth you are representing, the arch stones actually 'key' in with the rest of the wall rather than being on a curve on the outside. I've tried (very poorly) to illustrate what I mean below. I think trying to replicate this would turn your great model into a marvellous one but I of course leave it completely up to you.

post-5373-0-67143700-1356001687_thumb.png

ps. You did say you were open to suggestions :blind:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hello Jeff, Glad you found some 2mm plywood, l have found it good but you have to brace it up to stop the warping, l got it touch with the company you put in your thread, and they sold me some 4mm strip 12mm wide and 3' lenght's under a £1 per strip, so l now use this as the bracing, l have never built any 4mm building's using this new method l now use, l would have thought it would be harder to scribe the smaller brick, good luck with it anyway.

Morning George. Thanks for that - I'll get in touch with them about the bracing strips when I get round to the buildings. I'll use plastikard, rather than scribing, as I don't fancy trying to chisel out all the tiny bricks!

The 2mm ply has served as a good base for the tunnel mouth. Very pleased you mentioned it!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Boogy.

You are absolutely correct regarding the block work on the arch. It does indeed key in with the fascia on the portal front. The only problem is the difficulty of representing this. A lot of arch rings are exactly what they say - simple rings. This one was different and I wondered how I could possibly cut the plastikard to achieve this. I thought of using thinner card, but that wouldn't have been scribable. In the end, I admitted defeat and settled for a compromise!!

I appreciate your comments - it's an area that can be improved upon! I've got another 2 tunnel mouths to do, so I may try something different on one of those!

Jeff

ps. 2 posts in 2500 is more than most people make. Over half the Forums near-18000 members have never posted once - on anything! :O

Hi Jeff,

I really like your tunnel mouth but for me (and probably only me) the arch doesn't quite look right. Looking closely at a picture of the actual tunnel mouth you are representing, the arch stones actually 'key' in with the rest of the wall rather than being on a curve on the outside. I've tried (very poorly) to illustrate what I mean below. I think trying to replicate this would turn your great model into a marvellous one but I of course leave it completely up to you.

I've never noticed that before.

The beauty of this thread is that one learns something new every day.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Yes Peter, maybe it's easier to see if you look at the arch blocks to the left of the portal in this view....

post-13778-0-39283100-1356010565_thumb.jpg

I just decided this was a bit tricky - conceptually ok, but hard to cut the plastic.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry Jeff, you're not alone with tunnel rings. I was pulled up when building the overbridge for Greenfield a few years ago for making exactly the same mistake but, as Peter W. Sunset says, we learn something everyday especially on this forum.

I was aware of the issue Larry - but wimped out. As I said to Boogaloo, I may have a go on the next one. I've always found matching the arch rings to the surround very difficult and this was one I "looked the other way on". I know that cutting card might be easier, but I prefer plastic. Glad it's not only me that shies away from some things.

At least I can argue that I wasn't trying to make a perfect copy!!

Jeff

• Like 1

Afternoon Jeff,

Perfect or not quite, It is a damn sight better that most people reading this could do. or even would ATEMPT to do. My answer to everything is WEEDS, a few hanging over the top would cure any query.

I will be back later for a longer quiet read after tea,

Must go now as I re painting an N Gauge signal box from Midland Maroon into Scottish Blue then later I have to make an O Gauge shed for the Coal Office,

CONFUSSED, SO AM I.

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy. You will have to catch me later as I'm heading out for a nice spicy curry!

No modelling done today - yet, though I intend to fix some dressed stone onto the wings later this evening. I seem to be developing a late-night work ethic!

As for confused ... I just wonder how you fit all the stuff into your house. Does the missus sleep in a cupboard!!? :O

Talk to you later!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Thanks Andy. You will have to catch me later as I'm heading out for a nice spicy curry!

No modelling done today - yet, though I intend to fix some dressed stone onto the wings later this evening. I seem to be developing a late-night work ethic!

As for confused ... I just wonder how you fit all the stuff into your house. Does the missus sleep in a cupboard!!? :O

Talk to you later!

Jeff

YOU EXPECT TO BE IN THE DUNGEN AFTER HAVING A CURRY, OPEN THOSE WINDOWS ha ha ha

I am not aloud to have anything in the house apart from the odd Mag on the sofa, I only have T in the Den at the moment, Glen Roy is still up at the Club after our open weekend so I can get to the workbench (actually its an office desk). The baseboard for Glenfinick has not arrived yet, thank goodness, but I just fancied a change today.

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Home again after a stonking Chicken Dhansak and all the trimmings. Time to get the coffee on, the evostik ready and start marking out/cutting some more dressed stone.

I may manage another photo tonight, we shall see.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Another hour in the can. More Slaters fixed to the structure and the 3 parts glued together (2 x wings and portal) - though whether the bond will hold remains to be seen. If not - or even if it does - I'm thinking of fixing the wings to the 3mm ply base shown in post 2497.

No pics as I'll wait 'til I can get some coping stones in place - at least it might then look like I've done something!

Jeff

• Like 1

Good morning Jeff,

You say about whether or not the bonding of the wings and porthole will hold. I now use the Hot Glue Gun FOR ALMOST ALL JOINTS, be them permenant or temporary It gives me a chance to look at things, re check them and if not spot on (or near enough in my case) things can be moved and re aligned. They are quick setting so no hanging around for a few hours for PVA or similar to get a grip.

I see the curry jokes have taken over from the COFFEE JOKES, never mind it's all ment in the best possible taste,

Have a good day, Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the jokes.... to be savoured like coffee and curry. With the world about to end, what more could a man ask for?! You lot can find amusement in any subject - and I love it!

Having sat in a warm room overnight, the 3 parts of the structure have stuck together pretty well - I used evostik. Andy - I had a hot glue gun once - used it to bond coraflute I was using to make a scenery base. My brother borrowed it from the school where he works. It was very effective because of the speed of the bond. Probably worth getting one for future use.

Apocalypse or not, there's still coping slabs to be fitted - that's what I'm doing now. Then a touch of Humbrol filler and a bit of rubbing down. Steady lads! :no:

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just caught up with most recent three pages of this great thread on my first day off - one of the treats I'd promised myself - and It hasn't disappointed!

Long time no hear! I meant to wish you a happy birthday on Sunday, but was so embroiled with other issues that I forgot!

Glad you've enjoyed recent developments. I started laying track in mid-October, followed by a burst of wiring. By the start of December I'd had enough, so a bit of scratchbuilding was called for! How's your own project - including your lovely viaduct (dare I ask)?

Best wishes,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: Filler is drying between sheets of Slaters. Copings cut, ready for fixing on. A bit of cleaning-up will be needed (it looks like the tunnel has seen action in WW2 at the mo!), then I'll put another pic up - for those of you who enjoy the tortuous progress!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, I can second "the real Andy's" enthusiasm for hot glue guns. Cheap and easy to get hold of too. My main use is on scenery eg when gluing formers to baseboards or frames. Saves having to clamp stuff but there's time to make adjustments too. An odd spot or two of glue can be used like tack soldering to get things in the right place before using a good squeeze to firm things up.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I can second "the real Andy's" enthusiasm for hot glue guns. Cheap and easy to get hold of too. My main use is on scenery eg when gluing formers to baseboards or frames. Saves having to clamp stuff but there's time to make adjustments too. An odd spot or two of glue can be used like tack soldering to get things in the right place before using a good squeeze to firm things up.

Yes, I can see it would be an advantage once I start to build the "mini-Pennines" in the bunker. Tack soldering is a good way to put it. With the tunnel portal well-underway maybe it won't be too long before the first hill starts to appear! :sungum:

I'll get some track-bussery done in early Jan, Jonathan, and you can come round and have a play.... if you want to?!! Nah - you're not interested..... :no:

Jeff

Yes, the jokes.... to be savoured like coffee and curry. With the world about to end, what more could a man ask for?! You lot can find amusement in any subject - and I love it!

Having sat in a warm room overnight, the 3 parts of the structure have stuck together pretty well - I used evostik. Andy - I had a hot glue gun once - used it to bond coraflute I was using to make a scenery base. My brother borrowed it from the school where he works. It was very effective because of the speed of the bond. Probably worth getting one for future use.

Apocalypse or not, there's still coping slabs to be fitted - that's what I'm doing now. Then a touch of Humbrol filler and a bit of rubbing down. Steady lads! :no:

Jeff

Yes it is the RUBBING DOWN that worries me, especially at your age :no: ho ho ho

Little A. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Yes it is the RUBBING DOWN that worries me, especially at your age :no: ho ho ho

Little A. :jester:

Yes, I was wondering when someone was going to rise to the bait! It's a tough ask, the rubbing down. But I make my sacrifices all in the name of railway modelling.... :angel: :jester: !!!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

You must have stopped for COFFEE same time as me, :O then it will be back to MORE RUBBING DOWN for you and TOUCHING UP for me, THAT IS THE BALLAST I AM TALKING ABOUT, hahaha ho ho ho , and I havn't had a drink yet.

I have a mate coming around tonight for me to do some weathering for him, so if I don't choketo death then I will be back tommorrow, If I do choke to death than mywife will do you a good deal on all my stock. hi he ho ha hum.

Andy :jester: