Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, still around and looking in. It looks like you've caused a world plaster shortage - a good job the NHS went over to plastic splints.

Just feeling sorry for my colleagues on Tyneside. Today is their last operational working day and next week they pack-up the office and collect their redundancy cheques.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, still around and looking in. It looks like you've caused a world plaster shortage - a good job the NHS went over to plastic splints.

Just feeling sorry for my colleagues on Tyneside. Today is their last operational working day and next week they pack-up the office and collect their redundancy cheques.

Nice to hear from you Jonathan. Any snow out Leyburn way? Chaos all over the place - as usual - but hardly a flake on Teesside.

I hope the same thing doesn't happen to the Stockton offices!

I have my own plaster shortage. I'll have to go down to B&Q in the morning and buy a few packets to keep me going...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

A couple of photos to tingle your taste buds!

Both pictures show the situation as at 30 minutes ago. 4 of the arches have something inside them - but it's mostly the mod-roc layer.

Plaster - when I get some more - may go on tomorrow. This will allow me to properly shape the right embankment.

post-13778-0-36308000-1363968532_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-15043400-1363968539_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 7

Hi Jeff

Pity that you ran out of plaster as that Valley would be almost complete by now, once a bit of colour is in the bottom we will have a good idea of how it will look under the viaduct so I hope you get the plaster you need tomorrow.

It seems to have grown quickly but in looking back it has actually taken a fair bit of time.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I'm liking that. It is coming together and seems to be starting to take on that natural appearance.

Duncan

Hi Jeff

Pity that you ran out of plaster as that Valley would be almost complete by now, once a bit of colour is in the bottom we will have a good idea of how it will look under the viaduct so I hope you get the plaster you need tomorrow.

It seems to have grown quickly but in looking back it has actually taken a fair bit of time.

Jim

Cheers lads!

Yes, I'm pleased with the way it's going. It's certainly using a hell of a lot of mod-roc and plaster!!

I did make a mistake last week when I painted the Fell brown. The older plaster was thoroughly dry - it's been sat there for over a month. The newer stuff was very damp underneath. It's still drying and is "leaking" out small amounts of water through any place not covered in emulsion. I'll leave the plaster I put on the valley at least a week before I slop brown stuff on it.

A couple of hours heating got the temperature up to 17C in the bunker today - so, hopefully, things will dry relatively quickly.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Talking of mistakes - looking at the first pic in my previous post I spotted an error.... Just spent the last 40 minutes correcting it!

Not important in the long term, but just shows how you've got to keep an eye on things.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

In my usual catching up mode and find there is ground forming inside the arches, its an absolute credit to you as the feeling of realism is building up day by day, brill mate.

Can I just add my welcome to 'Kingmoor Kid', the photo's posted are fantastic, many thanks for sharing.

Kingmoor MPD was my first swarrey' south in 1965, memorable day even now.

I'll be back in my den tomorrow working on the floor in probably -2 degrees!

Cheers

Mike

<g> For what it's worth I have 'fixed' this ordinary picture with the engine in full forward gear, and generally touched up shadows, tones, contrast and so on it's taken with a Canon SX150is at f8 and about 0.8 secs with a mix of ambient and 40 watt tungsten light.

attachicon.gifBritannia_70019_Lightning_portrait_starting_off_tail_wind_5ap2a_r800_crop1.jpg

Rob

Rob,

Having driven probably 2000 miles (!) behind a 3.5" gauge Brit, it won't pull the skin off a rice pudding from a standing start if you are in mid gear.  Once you get going, then mine will happily run up to about 4 turns back from full gear, and will run forward at up to 6 (of 13) back, if you are truely trying hard.  (faster speed=less cut off...I've been to the far side of 10 real MPH behind it...).  So, start at full gear, and work your way down.  I found that with big loads (~1000 lb, behind a 114 lb loco) that the "best" way was to open the throttle to around 1/2, then start winding the reverser back, shut the drains, wing the throttle to wide open, and keep on turning back the reverser until it starts to kick.  (then, throw on a shovel full, close the bypass, and look up...).  If Robin Hood lost it's feet, shut the throttle and start again.  (also, important to note, make sure the steam brake is off...)

Basically, unless the Brit is at track speed, it's going to be a good way away from mid gear...

James

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

In my usual catching up mode and find there is ground forming inside the arches, its an absolute credit to you as the feeling of realism is building up day by day, brill mate.

Can I just add my welcome to 'Kingmoor Kid', the photo's posted are fantastic, many thanks for sharing.

Kingmoor MPD was my first swarrey' south in 1965, memorable day even now.

I'll be back in my den tomorrow working on the floor in probably -2 degrees!

Cheers

Mike

Cheers Mike. Just remember, the sooner you get your den "fit for purpose", the sooner you can work comfortably.

I should have had my door fitted bl**dy well months ago - they all told me so. What a difference!

Good luck over the weekend!

Jeff

Jeff

Ha Ha that sofa was a place of shelter..... Jan 59 for me so that terror through grainy TV strikes a chord.  Your assumption on my living in the Dales is pretty good, just outside actually in a town at the end of a line (I like a brain teaser).  You could deduce from the alias that I spent my youth in Carlisle, and in cycling distance from Kingmoor Yard - many happy days spent watching Peaks, Type 4s, Brush 4s, 400's, Type 2s and Birm 2s as we used to call them before computerisation and Electrification.    

My favourite working was always the Thames-Clyde express which headed northbound mid-afternoon, nearly always Peak hauled, just before the Royal Scot with its double headed class 50s.  Not quite a lifetime ago but it seems to have gone quickly. 

I also respond to Simon, there are a lot of us around from the early 60's.

As we like pictures on this thread here's the next Air Shaft spoilt by Solar Panels, a Wind turbine and some other paraphenalia, and another view of your tunnel mouth.

attachicon.gif015.JPG

attachicon.gif025.JPG

Looks a bit like a submarine stuck in an ice flow.

Rob,

Having driven probably 2000 miles (!) behind a 3.5" gauge Brit, it won't pull the skin off a rice pudding from a standing start if you are in mid gear.  Once you get going, then mine will happily run up to about 4 turns back from full gear, and will run forward at up to 6 (of 13) back, if you are truely trying hard.  (faster speed=less cut off...I've been to the far side of 10 real MPH behind it...).  So, start at full gear, and work your way down.  I found that with big loads (~1000 lb, behind a 114 lb loco) that the "best" way was to open the throttle to around 1/2, then start winding the reverser back, shut the drains, wing the throttle to wide open, and keep on turning back the reverser until it starts to kick.  (then, throw on a shovel full, close the bypass, and look up...).  If Robin Hood lost it's feet, shut the throttle and start again.  (also, important to note, make sure the steam brake is off...)

Basically, unless the Brit is at track speed, it's going to be a good way away from mid gear...

James

Thankyou James, yes starting was normal with steam at 65-75% cutoff and generally wound gradually back to 12-20% in general running, deoending on load and gradient.  Mid gear was used mostly for standing, although it's amazing how many engines in sheds and even on turntables were left in gear! Running downhill was often complicated by vacuum in cylinders and attendant issues like lubrication. I have travelled on the cab of a few steam engines during the 1960s but most of what I have learned has been from writing by such as C J Allen, O S Nock, Richard Derry and others.

Thanks for your reply.

Rob

p.s. still wating for Jeff to get the paint out!   <g>

• RMweb Premium

Rob - if you go back to page 208, post #5186, you'll see that a large portion of Lune Fell is now brown.

Unfortunately, I painted some of the plaster a little bit too soon after application and it's changed the brown colour and is taking ages to dry. I'll wait a fair while with the valley as the plaster thickness - in places - is such that 2 weeks is the all-through drying time.

You and James and your engines.....  :no:  :no:

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, good to see some pics and the Viaduct is getting further away, wonderful stuff mate.

I will have to get the Kingmoor Kid involved with my new shed layout Annes Hill MPD as it will be based around Carlisle Canal.

Bodgit

I've appreciated all the welcomes from you Lunesters, cheers.  It's been a bit inhospitable in the Pennines today, and I guess that the top of Blea Moor would be a little more testing than it was yesterday.  To cheer all you Lunsters up and to remind you how well the S&C sits in the landscape I thought another couple of yesterday's photos might be in order.

First is a view from above the Northern portal towards Arten Gill & Dent. 

post-17870-0-77675100-1363989520_thumb.jpg

Second needs no introduction from me.  If anyone interested its 66145 with 6 4 wheel wagons on an engineers train.

post-17870-0-48212900-1363989664_thumb.jpg

Keep plastering Jeff - looking good

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Simon!!

That second photo is some of the most realistic modelling I've seen! Your viaduct puts mine to shame!  :jester:  :jester:

Great photos again. Just imagine what we'd have lost if the S&C had closed!!

Anyway, sounds like Andy would like to rope you in on his NEXT project!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

[

Hi Jeff, good to see some pics and the Viaduct is getting further away, wonderful stuff mate.

I will have to get the Kingmoor Kid involved with my new shed layout Annes Hill MPD as it will be based around Carlisle Canal.

Bodgit

Bodgit - you just have to ask!  Canal closed when I was 4 but I do remember a walk from school circa 1971 when we visted the old shed site and the coaling tower was still there.  I've plenty of reference material on the Waverley.

Here's a start for you.

post-17870-0-86137500-1363990548_thumb.jpgpost-17870-0-86137500-1363990548_thumb.jpg

Canalkid.   Ha ha ha  

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Simon, wow that looks a lot bigger than my 9 x 2, ?????????I will now need a complete rethink and look at T Gauge.

Mad Bodgit the dejected :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Since T gauge is about the only gauge you haven't dabbled in, I wouldn't be surprised!

Just think, Andy: At 1:450 scale, you could model Ribblehead Viaduct - all 440yds of it - in under a yard!! Hell, you could fit the entire S&C into your back garden!! Lol.

NO! I won't encourage you. But it sounds like you're onto a good number with Simon's plans.

Jeff

Thanks Simon, wow that looks a lot bigger than my 9 x 2, ?????????I will now need a complete rethink and look at T Gauge.

Mad Bodgit the dejected :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Just spotted the Copyright Peter Robinson on that plan - if I plug his excellent book 'Railway Centres - Carlisle - Ian Allan 1986' perhaps I'll avoid a court appearance.     

Since T gauge is about the only gauge you haven't dabbled in, I wouldn't be surprised!

Just think, Andy: At 1:450 scale, you could model Ribblehead Viaduct - all 440yds of it - in under a yard!! Hell, you could fit the entire S&C into your back garden!! Lol.

NO! I won't encourage you. But it sounds like you're onto a good number with Simon's plans.

Jeff

There's always Z Gauge :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

I have managed to have a go at driving four engines (paying for the privilege) I drove King Edward I and the Cadbury tank up and down Tyseley. A pannier tank from Norchard to Lydney and Back then fired it. I took a Dolgoch and a train up to Bryn Glas and back. The experience was well worth it. A great experience and you learn a lot.

Don 

ejit for speelling

Edited by Donw

Jeff

Hi Jeff, you are safe this time, but I was looking at a TT Gauge layout last weekend and I :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

NO :no:

O.K. :sungum:

Hi Jeff, the hillside and area around the viaduct look superb. I bet you are spending a small fortune on plaster bandage, I cost me a bit when I extended to front on Llanbourne, I didn't remember it being so expensive from when I had used it a few years before.

Hi Andrew P, I saw a T gauge layout here in Oz a few weeks back. A Victorian railways T class on a couple of coaches going up and down the layout complete with trestle bridge and beleive it or not wire on the fences.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M