Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Just found this thread, Jeff - great to see your progress.

There is something organic about seeing a layout grow from a bare room... it really is the true blank canvas you have to work with!

Good luck, and keep the updates coming.

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Just found this thread, Jeff - great to see your progress.

There is something organic about seeing a layout grow from a bare room... it really is the true blank canvas you have to work with!

Good luck, and keep the updates coming.

Scott

Thanks Scott. Appreciate the comments. I'm enjoying the building - will keep the updates coming and, fingers crossed, the layout might justify the effort put in!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Just been catching up on your progress, it's looking good too. I can't wait to see a nice dirty 9f slogging through the station.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Nice to hear you commenting on my work! I just hope it turns out half as good as your Welsh-based masterpiece!

It really is a small world when my last 2 posts have been replies to Australia!!

Look forward to giving you updates over the next year or two.

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's a pretty straightforward layout that can be bent to suit requirements....

post-6680-0-66244300-1332707076.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to provide me with the info, Coach. Much appreciated. Will see what I can do!!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just spent the last week applying base and top coats of paint to the ceiling and walls. Looking more like a room now!

Only a few more weeks and something remotely railway-related can start to be constructed.

Jeff

post-13778-0-94626800-1333644158_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thank goodness RMweb is back. You don't realise how good something is 'til it's no longer there!!

Attached pics of the completed infrastructure of the garage conversion.

Electrics in, lights fitted, carpet on order.

Then the railway-related fun can begin!!

Jeff

post-13778-0-01616300-1335198289_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-51382500-1335198304_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-91448900-1335198317_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

OK, some railway-related material...at last.

Following consultations with some of RMwebs "luminaries" (The Stationmaster and Coachmann), the trackplan is almost decided. I've tried to include S&C stylings and have been told the plan strongly resembles Kirkby Stephen ... which it does, apart from the branch line.

Baseboard subframe to commence within the month, then the skeleton from the plan will go onto the baseboards this summer. With 800W of lighting in the "bunker" (though I won't be using all that - got to "watch the pennies", you know!) I should be able to see what I'm doing. :sungum:

Jeff

post-13778-0-26801900-1335208238_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Baseboard subframe to commence within the month, then the skeleton from the plan will go onto the baseboards this summer. With 800W of lighting in the "bunker" (though I won't be using all that - got to "watch the pennies", you know!) I should be able to see what I'm doing. :sungum:

Jeff

..... and save money on heating (as I have found out over the last few days those small spotlight clusters are quite nice 'spot' heaters as well as lighting units).

• RMweb Premium

..... and save money on heating (as I have found out over the last few days those small spotlight clusters are quite nice 'spot' heaters as well as lighting units).

You are quite right, Mike. It gets very warm under those lights and even though I'm not a tall chap I can feel the radiation warming my scalp. The current railway room is lit with a measly 200W and that seemed enough!

I will be investing in a portable heater - my brothers is shown in the previous pictures. 1500W, warms the room to an acceptable level even on minimum setting.

Once the carpet is down there is no excuse not to get started. Good job I like a bit of carpentry!

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Carpet now fitted. Room feels instantly warmer! Nothing to stop subframe construction now... wood will be ordered next weekend for delivery early June.

Getting excited!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Update: Just ordered the wood for the baseboard subframe. Delivery next week. So it'll be out with the saw, chisels, square, power tools etc. Great stuff!

Jeff

• Like 3

I've just enjoyed reading this thread after you commented on my garage layout thread. Wish I had a double garage to play with, it would make the layout plan so much easier! I like the way you've planned for nice deep baseboards to put the railway in amongst the scenery rather than fill the baseboard with track. I'm also impressed with the general construction work; it's like a heavy-duty (and neater) version of mine!

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments Will. They are much appreciated. I should get cutting on the subframe in a week or so. I plan to take my time as the last thing I want to do is rush the job and make a hash of it. There is also the wonderful sense of anticipation and planning! You can't beat it!

I'm a bit of a scenery freak - probably because of the area I travel through and the influences I've had from other modellers. The temptation is to cram too much rail into a layout, but the context is what matters to me. You may like to have a look at 60091's excellent S&C N gauge layout, or Ian Macdonald's Kirkby Stephen West to see this kind of thing very nicely done. The first has a thread in Layouts. The second has been in RM and Hornby and, I think, is due again in RM later this year.

I shall follow your progress with keen interest!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Oooh! I'm really looking forward to seeing how you do your scenery!

Some say the scenery around the S&C is bleak, to me - it's so open and completely refreshing, you have space to 'think' up there!

Maybe that's why I love it so much.

Keep up the good work,

John E.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Further developments...

It may seem like overkill - well it is - but I am using "metric 4 x 2" ie. 95mm x 45mm as the basis for the subframe. A stock of this, in 3.6m lengths, was delivered last weekend.

The first pieces have been marked out ready for cutting and, with a holiday approaching (and maybe a new jigsaw and some sharpened chisels) I will start next week. I will post photos in due course, along with a subframe plan. But not until I'm well into the project, as some of you will think it's way over the top (I don't intend the structure to shift!!) and will send for the men in the white coats!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ooh, exciting times! I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with this layout. I visited the Yorkshire Dales in 2009 for the first time - absolutely breathtaking. Never before have I enjoyed a holiday so much. The combination of beautiful scenery, railways and those engineering feats that are the numerous viaducts was magical! So I can completely understand why you're going for scenery content over track. It's something I'm hoping to achieve for my layout too.

I hope you don't mind, but I felt inclined to add a couple photos I took there to set the mood. Taken in 2009 from my trusty compact digital camera!

post-6776-0-80560800-1338407273_thumb.png

post-6776-0-65226500-1338407365_thumb.jpg

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Splendid stuff Jam - don't mind at all. Ribblehead - could have been any of the S&Cs...very characteristic stations. I'm looking forward to a journey or two up to Carlisle this summer. Maybe add the Keighley and Worth Valley at the same time.

Happy times ahead! People who aren't "into" this hobby have no idea!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yep, that's Dent alright. I've also got the obligatory shots of Ribblehead viaduct too of course. A few shots of Settle station and a couple of Horton-in-Ribblesdale too. I took about 340 photos whilst in Yorkshire. I should really get them printed and made into an album at some point! That shot of Dent viaduct was lucky as we were driving up the hill - I just happened to catch a glimpse of the viaduct and barn in the mirror and asked if we could pull over!

Hi Jeff, I have just caught up with this and I am very envious of the room you have, My farther was a carpenter but all I can produce is SAWDUST by the ton. I cant even get two lenghts of timber the same size, so well done so far. I like the track plan and look forward to seeing the next stage. All the best Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I have just caught up with this and I am very envious of the room you have, My farther was a carpenter but all I can produce is SAWDUST by the ton. I cant even get two lenghts of timber the same size, so well done so far. I like the track plan and look forward to seeing the next stage. All the best Andy.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the kind comments. My dad was a joiner - I chose to be a nuclear physicist!! But the "building gene" got through...I'm adequate at woodwork, I have a go. It's ok for rough work but I'd be stuck making anything half-decent! The garage is converted and the layout can (hopefully) begin!

I think you do yourself an injustice. Both Loch Leven and Trebudoc are excellent layouts. I only hope my efforts look as good!

All the best,

Jeff

Hi Jeff

One S+C layout almost finished and a new one about to start. Hopefully I'll add a facia to the operating side of the layout over the long holiday weekend and apart from stock that will be everything done...meanwhile I'll be watching progresson Kirby Luneside when you begin the woodwork. With one exception I've never had the luxury of a permament railway room for a layout so your framework should be a big improvement on my usual 2x1 timbers fixed to Sundela, while the legs are just a set of very sturdy trestles used on exhibition layouts many years ago.

It was interesting to see SRSteams posts about his holiday in the dales...it made me realise how lucky I am to be able to get there every couple of weeks, and although I've little interest in the" modern railway", I'm quite happy photographing 66s and 158s in that wonderful scenery.

All the best.. Alan

Edited by 60091

• RMweb Premium

Morning Alan,

Just read your post. It will be fun to actually start doing some building work. I think I must be unusual in that I enjoy the basic woodwork in putting the baseboards together! The subframe is my variation on "L girders" - once the frame is built I will fit the boards (ply tops) 25cm above it, using risers.

I will post pics as progress goes ahead.

I'm really looking forward to some journeys on the S&C this summer - photos from that will also be forthcoming!

Glad to hear you've started on your L&Y railway project. I will keep an eye out for your thread.

Best wishes,

Jeff

• Like 1