The RMweb 2012 Challenges

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Just come back into this thread after a while away... am I correct in thinking that there's an under-current going on along the lines of the challenge didn't happen because BCB did????

The two competitions are like chalk and cheese.

# The layout competition was a chance for a team to publicly build a layout by a given (stupidly short) deadline for a magazine in exchange for a cash incentive. If the winner of this competition failed to deliver there would be a commercial magazine without content and exhibitions without an exhibit. I'm sure there would have been a few commercial repercussions! 

# The challenges were a catalyst to get as many folk as possible modelling small, self-contained, projects and then for other modellers to judge a winner for nothing more than self-satisfaction (of making something) and the prestige (of taking part and/or winning). Had people not taken part the only real repercussions would have been egg on face for Andy and lots of small projects not being built and people gaining skills along the way. 

Back in May the layout challenge was advertised - just three teams submitted written entries. No website or complex scoring mechanism needed to be set up and the decision rested with the funding party - BRM / Warners. Yes, money has changed hands, but that was part and parcel of the prize. I can also add that I doubt that the idea of this layout, let alone the layout itself, would have happened without the competition and that the £1500 has nowhere covered the cost of the layout. All of us have put private and smaller group projects (not to mention private and family lives) on hold in order to deliver our part of the bargain.

Once awarded we signed up to having a layout to present at three shows this year and to write articles as required by Warners. It's the BCB team that signed up to do this, not Andy, and the build was done by the 7 RMweb members in the BCB team along with help and info from many other RMweb members. We have tried to be as inclusive as possible of the wider RMweb membership - it would have been far easier to do the build without having to populate threads and respond to questions in threads, but less enjoyable too. The project has developed over the last 10 months and I suspect the first time Warners really knew what they were getting for the money was when we turned up with a van of stuff at Donny show. 

The project itself has run with minimal management input from Andy - it has mainly involved prompting us to write articles, reminding us of the deadline(s) and  passing info from Warners. BCB has had the 'airtime' in BRM because that was its purpose right from the outset. I believe it has had the following on RMweb because the project subject, period and execution struck an interest with many people - but to be fair to the BCB team, the subject, period and execution were chosen because we thought they would be of interest to RMweb members and Warners. The aim of the original proposal was to win the competition after all, and we had no idea how many other entries there would be nor what they would be. 

Andy, like many others, has had a building involvement in the project. The long photo backscene is really his own 'innovation' submission and was something he wanted to do for a while - BCB proved to be the right opportunity to try it out on. Andy volunteered to do the canal cottages and their (now legendary) positioning behind the embankment meant it didn't really matter how finished they were at the first few shows. They were not a major priority for him compared to keeping the forum running and doing his job for Warners.

I'm sure Andy won't mind me saying that a number of the other BCB mini projects he's been looking at have come to nothing yet. These include arranging contacts for laser cut fencing and a method of producing the distinctive Black Country canal roving bridge. We recognise though that Andy is a busy man and can't do everything he'd like to at the moment. I'm sure this hasn't been done deliberately or with malice to the entrants.

So really guys, look at the situation for what it is: a competition with no prize other than prestige that has got modellers modelling and has provided joy and information to countless folk that have followed the various threads. Yes, in an ideal world it should have been judged by now. Yes, I agree communication has been poor. Yes, I recognise that loads of folk have put significant effort in. BUT, has anyone actually lost anything? Has anyone been harmed or had their life drastically changed for the worse? 

I hate to upset folk but this is just a hobby for us, and a hobby that many outsiders see as grown men playing with toys. Sorry but I think some posters need to gain a bit of perspective: to gain this instantly go and have a read of a thread like this one. Does a competition being delayed really, really require so many to get so upset??

So really guys, look at the situation for what it is: a competition with no prize other than prestige that has got modellers modelling and has provided joy and information to countless folk that have followed the various threads. Yes, in an ideal world it should have been judged by now. Yes, I agree communication has been poor. Yes, I recognise that loads of folk have put significant effort in. BUT, has anyone actually lost anything? Has anyone been harmed or had their life drastically changed for the worse? 

I hate to upset folk but this is just a hobby for us, and a hobby that many outsiders see as grown men playing with toys. Sorry but I think some posters need to gain a bit of perspective: to gain this instantly go and have a read of a thread like this one. Does a competition being delayed really, really require so many to get so upset??

I don't think anyone has argued that they have lost anything from this, or had their lives harmed. That's a frankly ridiculous notion, especially when you read the posts back in this thread.

All anyone in this thread has asked for is a timescale on when it will be done.

People are very quick to play the "it's a hobby" card when it is not something which directly affects them. I'm afraid the "chalk and cheese" idea of the challenges doesn't wash with me either. Yes they are different and have different rules, but that is no excuse for setting up three challenges and for only one to have been seen through to the end, particularly when there are more entrants to the two which haven't finished than the first.

And it is not a case of being "upset" - more disappointed (and rightly so - why have a challenge in the first place if there is no intention on actually entering the judging stage? You wouldn't have a race with no set finish line or criteria to "win" so why is that suddenly acceptable for one set of challenges, and not the other?) that we are into April 2013, nearly half a year down the line from when the challenges should have come to their logical conclusion. 

I find it thoroughly exasperating that so many people are willing to decry anyone who asks the question "when will this end" - no, of course it's not a case of life or death, and all of the entrants who have posted in this thread have made their opinions clear (I myself was simply asking for timescales - this is somehow a crime now?) and done so with a lot more patience or dignity than that posted elsewhere in some of the manufacturer's threads.

People are very quick to play the "it's a hobby" card when it is not something which directly affects them.

They really do and it is only a hobby which is not a matter of life and death but it's a amazing how a hobby can enrich your life and even help you get through hard times as it provides a welcome form of escapism.

• RMweb Gold

A hobby can save your sanity, and possibly in the long run it could well mean the difference!

After I lost Hannah in 2009 I was so glad to the members of RMWeb, but in particular DRAG, as I do think it did save my sanity. Provided a purpose in life and a reason to do something.

Frankly does it matter if the voting is running behind schedule? It isn't a mater of life and death, we will still vote for the worthiest winner in the end.

Regards,

Nick. 

• RMweb Gold

Frankly does it matter if the voting is running behind schedule? It isn't a mater of life and death, we will still vote for the worthiest winner in the end.

Which of course is the ballast bunny!! ;) x

Usual fee in a brown envelope please!  ;)  :D  

They really do and it is only a hobby which is not a matter of life and death but it's a amazing how a hobby can enrich your life and even help you get through hard times as it provides a welcome form of escapism.

Absolutely James (and my apologies for missing your post originally and taking so long to respond). Let's not take anything away from the fact that this hobby really can provide a source of comfort, and even betterment in some respects.

The fact remains that there is nothing wrong with the entrants in the 2012 challenges asking for timescales as to when the judging will commence. These are people who, lest we forget, gave up their own time, effort and in some cases money, to develop their entries and thus add value to RMweb in the most constructive manner by doing the modelling and then writing it all up on here for the benefit of everyone.

Now, the question has been asked - when? The answer given above was "end of this week". I look forward then to putting in my votes for the innovation and scratch building challenge, so we can finally recognise the genuinely proactive members of RMweb and their efforts last year.

Archived