This is only the 'seed' of an idea, muddled into being over a lunchbreak cuppa.. here goes.

'The Bonsai Railway', a tiny self contained model railway presented according to the methods used in Bonsai (miniature) trees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonsai

The 'layout' itself would be small and incredibly simple, without a backscene, and might appear to 'float' over a desktop base. I am likely to go for either T gauge or 2mm FS for track. In fact, these micro, micro layouts would tend to lend themselves to a collection, so I might try a number of scales!

Also, as well as innovative presentation, it will employ as much 3D printing as possible.

PS. I promise to get this challenge entry finished, my little T gauge challenge layout last year started with the best intentions, but got scuppered by my getting married in the summer, which somehow absorbed much of my spare time!

• RMweb Gold

Hint: don't get married this summer, it will eat into your modelling time...

...but I like the idea of a bonsai layout - T gauge would be good if the speed could be controlled to a gentle crawl.

Guest Natalie Graham

a tiny self contained model railway presented according to the methods used in Bonsai (miniature) trees:

Are you going to keep trimming the buffers off O gauge stock until it becomes N gauge? ;)

Aha, yes, it will surely involve some very careful pruning! (I hope my bonsai railway survives better than my bonsai trees ever did!)

The big question, where is the innovation...? (I guess something that every entrant needs to think about carefully)

Micro layouts exist, nothing new there, however I'm looking to create a working 'desktop' diorama that can sit on a sturdy 'base' (the bonsai 'pot) and float above the desk with a minimal 'footprint'... this way it provides an innovative answer to our space-starved modern lives!

The other thing is that there will be no traditional wood/card/foam in the 'baseboard'... the structure of the scenery, including the 'contours' of the ground beneath the track, will be entirely 'printed' from a CAD design. This method could apply to a larger diorama, but the small size will keep costs down! We see some excellent examples of 3D printed locos and stock on RMWeb... but entire printed layouts... I'm hoping that that is something new...

I used a Bonsai Turntable under my "Hockley goods" in last year's Challenge. At 10inch diameter, they are placed under Bonsai containers* on exhibition show benches so that the judges can rotate the exhibits without touching the plants. I did that to facilitate all round viewing of the model, but one might get in the way of your electrics!

* Also used by cooks when icing cakes, I now have to "borrow" mine from the kitchen!

Here is my sketchy-doodle for the day...

A railway has branches, so maybe a bonsai railway could have the same... modelled at 1:450 scale, the 3D printing method could make for easier construction of overbridges, maybe a canal with a lock beneath the track.. so many ideas!

post-1601-0-19853500-1331907645.jpg

PS.. any other innovation entrants out there, it seems to be just me for the time being (or is this a technical hitch and I can't see the others?)

PS.. any other innovation entrants out there, it seems to be just me for the time being (or is this a technical hitch and I can't see the others?)

There's a couple of others started later yesterday Will; your potential entry's certainly raised a smile here.

Here is my sketchy-doodle for the day...

A railway has branches, so maybe a bonsai railway could have the same... modelled at 1:450 scale, the 3D printing method could make for easier construction of overbridges, maybe a canal with a lock beneath the track.. so many ideas!

post-1601-0-19853500-1331907645.jpg

Love it!!

• 3 weeks later...

Its about time I posted here again... the plot in the back of my mind is thickening.. the principal ingredients being:

T gauge

Maximum use of 3D printing

3D printed stock

3D printed scenery

Keeping the 'bonsai' tabletop diorama concept

GWR theme....

Oooer, you might well say. Isnt T-Gauge the preserve of high speed trains and Japanese EMUs shuttling around big scenic layouts (or small ovals) at high speed.. not exactly GWR branch line material, surely?

Well, it might make more sense than you first think. The mechanical elements will naturally be 'off the shelf' and the only means of propulsion are motorised 'Bo-Bo' railcar chassis. The shorter of these chassis could easily form the basis of:

A GWR railcar (of the 'flying banana' sort)

A GWR railmotor........ mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

A GWR autotrain set, with a tank engine propelled by a motorised carriage, much like early N gauge examples!

Or just about any other Great Western locomotive, so long as a motorised carriage can push it along.

Come to think if it, with an outside framed front bogie as a 'starting point', something Dukedog or even City of Truroish might be do-able.

• 1 month later...

A quick update, to prove I haven't forgotten to keep this idea going!

This T gauge bonsai prototype is probably going to be based around what seems to have become my modelling 'muse', Victoria Bridge.

post-1601-0-24489900-1336424071_thumb.jpg

Which I think will work well as a standalone diorama without a backscene... whether this has anything to do with the trouble I'm having with the backscene for my N gauge version is open to debate...

To kick things off, I have a little (about 12cm long) Victoria Bridge sent off to Shapeways to print, to see how it comes out, and then inspire the design for the all-printed scenic 'roots':

post-1601-0-46312700-1336424286.jpg

Sweeet!

• 3 months later...

Archived