Stubby's 2012 Scratchbuild Entry

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd start off this Challenge with a simple project - a scratchbuild of an existing cattle creep.

For those of you who know the area, this can be found just about the area of the old Blackwater triangle, where the main Truro-Penzance line branched off towards Perranporth and eventually Newquay. Access to this side is just north of the A30 layby between Chiverton Cross and the Scorrier exit.

Lots of variety of brick & stonework, plus four sorts of fencing and a a wide selection of plants.

post-7025-0-62656800-1331818189_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

That looks a lovely cattle creep to model. The only down side I can see with it is when it is done you will need to model the rest of the layout. What scale?

Scale will be my usual 4mm. The 'rest of the layout' may only consist of a short plank on which to pose models for photographic purposes, or it might bepart of another Module.

Good luck with this. Im sure based on your previous work it will be great. Are you planning to use card or plastic? Is this the first of several entries? or just this weeks one!! Regards Glenn

As there is very little relief in the mortar, this will probably be built in card & paper. I'll use plastic & wood for the fences.

With every project I do I try to include an element or method I've not done/used before. In this case it will be the various fencing.

"Is this the first of several ?" - probably, although I'm not sure which of any future projects will actually be entered. Having seen Cactustrain's Scrapyard last year, I have a long, long way to go to match that sort of quality. So rather than flood the challenge with poor attempts, I'd rather spend a bit more time and produce a higher quality model.

Yeah Cactustrains scrapyard was something else, although I think your being too modest about your own work. Any thoughts as to what use are going to use for the baseboard - foamboard, ply or something else? I like your idea of trying out new elements/methods, pushing the the boundaries or learning curve so to speak. Will be an excellent photo plank, Regards Glenn

• RMweb Gold

Glenn, Thanks for your vote of confidence!

Baseboard will probably be foamboard again, it's easy to obtain, cut, glue and carry - and provided it's used correctly* doesn't warp.

(* - use two layers with thin strip as spacers - b/board thickness is 15mm but is considerably stonger than a single sheet).

I've also always wanted to model this cattlecreep - points awarded for the location !

post-7025-0-07063600-1331900252_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Yep, very good. It's just too dangerous to stop & take photos or measurments, but it's really well engineered (but probably little used).

Righto, here we go.

First thing I do with a real prototype is analyse the elements - what are the points which will raise this from a simple model to a more life-like copy.

post-7025-0-79024800-1331903692_thumb.jpg

As a first pass, these are the main points I can see I'll need to replicate - there will be more, finer details once I get into each part of the build.

1 - moss & ferns in the mortar joints, but only in the wing walls

2- the bank is fairly level with the edge of the wing wall, both down the slope and where the wall levels out (in fact to almost where I stood to take the photo).

3 - Brick capping on the stone wing walls - 1½ bricks wide

4 - Mortar over the stone edges where repair work has been done

5 - Gorse bushes

6 - Fairly modern metal fence panels

7 - Concrete fence posts and wire fencing

8 - Missing bricks in the top of the wall

9 - Remains of render

10 - Parapet of bricks laid in Wessex bond

11 - Wooden boards to fix the fence panel to and to hold back the track ballast

12 - Metal gridwork on wire fence

13 - Ivy on fence post

14 - Gravel under bridge, with grass/moss edges

15 - Wooden 4 bar fence

• RMweb Gold

The next phase is to work out the angles, faces and planes of the various wall surfaces. As viewed, the join between the main arch wall and the left wing wall seems to be a simple line, but the short join line near the top, where the wing connects to the brick parapet would appear to be in a different direction.

Tonight will be spent examining and experimenting.

• RMweb Gold

A start has been made on the basic structure.

I'm using 1.5mm card, which has been laminated to three layers for the tops of the wing walls and the parapet wall.

post-7025-0-35966400-1332249518_thumb.jpg

Main walls

post-7025-0-69383500-1332249528_thumb.jpg

Parapet brickpaper added

• RMweb Gold

Added a bit more of the basic wall covering, plus the vertical walls under the creep.

I need to use a filler (milliput ?) to blend the sharp angles of the joins and to create the irregularness of the stonework, especially around the arch.

post-7025-0-28878100-1332319763_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I've now stuck the cattle creep to a sub-baseboard. This will be raised to the correct height when the bridge is positioned below the trackbed.

Adding a base has allowed me to start the grassing process.

post-7025-0-21769000-1332405376_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

This is no-where near finished yet, plus I need to build the baseboard and track before I can place it in position and complete the surrounding scenery.

I've made the mistakes in the past of both rushing and not concentrating on the detail - I'm determined to improve in both areas for this challenge (for example, I've only got one entry (so far) ).

Stu

This is no-where near finished yet, plus I need to build the baseboard and track before I can place it in position and complete the surrounding scenery.

I've made the mistakes in the past of both rushing and not concentrating on the detail - I'm determined to improve in both areas for this challenge (for example, I've only got one entry (so far) ).

Stu

I did not realise you were doing a baseboard aswell, thought we were lookinat a bridge diarama. It still has lots to do then I am still impressed with the bridge and quality.

Will it be as your other modules?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stu ,

That is coming along nicely , the only thing I can see that to me does'nt look quite right is the angle

of the brick capping , No 3 on the schematic , yours is laying at the same angle as the wing wall but

on the photo it looks more like the sides have been built up to bring the morter line nearer to parallel

with the arch brick work .

I'm no bricklayer but I would have had the tops of the wing walls parallel with the arch brickwork ,

Just my observations and not a criticism . :D

• RMweb Gold

Yep, this wll be installed on Corner Module #2, destined for the Captain's Party at Taunton at the end of April. I'll also add other buildings I've recently made, again models of protptye buildings in and around the Truro / Camborne area.

I've blagged some suitably thick cardboard from work today to form the basis of the baseboard - it will be an experiment in cross-lamination and pints of pva glue...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu ,

That is coming along nicely , the only thing I can see that to me does'nt look quite right is the angle

of the brick capping , No 3 on the schematic , yours is laying at the same angle as the wing wall but

on the photo it looks more like the sides have been built up to bring the morter line nearer to parallel

with the arch brick work .

I'm no bricklayer but I would have had the tops of the wing walls parallel with the arch brickwork ,

Just my observations and not a criticism . :D

Mike,

I see what you mean, and you are quite correct. It will be rectified !

Luckily, I've not stuck the wing walls on, so a quick trim and re-application of the bricks, which weren't red-enough anyway, will see an improvement.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

The necessary changes have been made, I've just not taken any photos yet.

The wings have also been glued on, so I can start to add the filler in the corners and for the arch.

Archived