Stubby's 2012 Scratchbuild Entry

Stubby47

Hi Stubby

I hope you have a sense of humor and will forgive my impertinence but loads of members including myself sit out here in eager anticipation of the promised

photos of the "necessary changes" to the end walls and had hoped to see the stone capping all ship shape and horizontal, nothing has been posted for more than a

week You were making excellent progress and the model looks very nice, hope you haven't come across any unexpected problems. Good luck with your model.

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Apologies for not posting any photos, but I've had a week off modelling due to being in London for a course (Intermediate Certificate in Software Testing - 440 powerpoint slides in 3 1/2 days...).

I need to build the baseboard on which this model will sit, at which point I'll be able to complete the embankment each side and the trackbed above, so can then take more photos.

Of course, if you happen to be in Taunton at the end of the month, you'll get to see it in the flesh...

Cheers

Stu ( who is constantly amazed by how many people follow his little forays into cobbling together bits of card)

I'm constantly amazed at how many bits of card you manage to cobble together so effectively, so quickly so often, and then find time to report progress here (except for those corbels! [in :diablo_mini: Mode] )

• RMweb Gold

Oh we're following this allright, you do have a reputation to live up to! :triniti:

Mind you, if you're tired of posting in the threads, a powerpoint presentation would also do :mocking_mini:

• RMweb Gold

The base of the baseboard was created last night. Consisting of two layers of thick corrugated cardboard laid at 90 deg to each other and stuck with builder's strength pva glue. Next stage is to cut the track supports from cardboard tube and the track bed itself.

Then I can add the cattle creep and start the embankment.

Hello again Stubby

Many thanks for the very speedy reaction (18min) to my comments (top of page) and for the invitation but I am afraid that I will have to decline the latter since I

don't think the domestic authority would condone a trip from East Anglia to Somerset which would blow a whole months fuel allowance for the car in one go.

I found it particularly praiseworthy that you took on board the comment made by Mike (#21) and carried out the suggested alterations to the wall capping, I was

in complete agreement with this suggestion but since I don't come from Zummerset I didn't dare suggest it myself. (for this you may pass GO and collect a few

extra Brownie Points) What do they say in your part of the world ? Its now beginning to look like a proper job ! Keep up the good work.

PS have noted today's posting, we now have 2 Stubby projects to follow.

Cheers

John

Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction) - RMweb - Page 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

I go past a cattle creep every time I walk to and from Stalybridge Station.

It’s small and black, with railings to help prevent idiots falling off the track bed, and oh so strong!

It now connects a swamp to a factory, but if you model this line then this is exactly the kind of “extra†that’s needed to make a layout into a good layout.

A suggestion, if I may, there is a white line, showing under the printed brick face edges, where the arch was cut out. This needs to be ‘touched up’ with a 2H (or possibly a H) pencil to blend it in with the Print. A very light grey felt pen could possibly work too, but I would definitely try that first on a scrap piece!

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Kev,

Thanks for the tip.

There is actually quite a bit of remedial stone work to add to this, as there is filling to do in each of the two angles between the wing walls and the main tunnel face, plus I need to add the larger stones around the tunnel portal.

Once this is added, it will all need painting to blend everything together, which will also include the tunnel lining join as you've mentioned.

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Running, the said pen or pencil, just after the item is cut out AND before it's glued in place is definetly the way to go.

This may remove some of the "touching up" later.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be an aweful lot to your little cattle creep. It is going to be impressive.

Maybe he's planning to do 10 cattle creeps - knowing Stu's past challenge history I wouldn't be surprised... :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

As I'm sure you're all aware, this baseboard is also the No1 corner Module for the party on the 29th at Taunton.

This end will be left open ( I think) so the end-scren will only be as high as the track bed. The other end will have a tunnel / bridge entrance, with the ground rising gently. The area behind the track will be populated with some of my previous models of real buildings, such as these :

post-7025-0-33191400-1334072934_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-65494800-1334072969_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-28889100-1334073054_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-92086400-1334073023_thumb.jpg

In front of the track I will place this :

post-7025-0-17976000-1334073119_thumb.jpg

so the baseboard should be well filled.

1 - moss & ferns in the mortar joints, but only in the wing walls

Is there a sunny side and a shady side? You might want moss in some places or lichen of different types/colours depending on how damp/shady/sunny it is.

(Taking a tip from that TV programme on how to navigate without compass using clues from the environment)

• RMweb Gold

Is there a sunny side and a shady side? You might want moss in some places or lichen of different types/colours depending on how damp/shady/sunny it is.

(Taking a tip from that TV programme on how to navigate without compass using clues from the environment)

I saw those programs too, very educational for the modeller I thought !

I've only added the mossy-green stuff where there is some on the prototype. The tunnel itself is orientated WNW to ESE, so the left wall as you view it is the northern one, which faces mostly south..., hence the little bit of greenery.

As I'm sure you're all aware, this baseboard is also the No1 corner Module for the party on the 29th at Taunton.

This end will be left open ( I think) so the end-scren will only be as high as the track bed. The other end will have a tunnel / bridge entrance, with the ground rising gently. The area behind the track will be populated with some of my previous models of real buildings, such as these :

post-7025-0-33191400-1334072934_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-65494800-1334072969_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-28889100-1334073054_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-92086400-1334073023_thumb.jpg

In front of the track I will place this :

post-7025-0-17976000-1334073119_thumb.jpg

so the baseboard should be well filled.

A fine selection of buildings. I wish I could come close with mine.

• RMweb Gold

Peter, it's only practice.

I didn't start modelling seriously until late 2008, and I was awful. It's only by watching what others have done and by having a go myself that I've got better.

As these, for the most part, are only card and printed paper, they are cheap to make and mistakes don't cost much either.

All I do now is find a nice, decrepit, old building and copy it - no real thinking involved.

Stu

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Following the Members Day at Taunton, I decided that I'd remove the buildings from the cardboard corner module.

One of these obviously is the cattle creep, so I now present it to you (unfinished, but there's ages yet) as it will be for the competition entry :

post-7025-0-50915300-1347472299_thumb.jpg

The ballast needs to be added & painted, plus the far wall needs re-papering. The basics of the grass is down, just need to add all the additional foilage and fencing to replicate the prototype.

I'm not sure how much of the rear bank I'll do, I agree with Dave777's philosophy of only modelling what will be seen.

post-7025-0-47698100-1347472586_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived