Dapol A4 streaks in.

Andy Y

Yes, I did eventually get the tender top off, as I said by removing the tender from the loco, then pulling the top about until it came off.

Oh I see. you got there in the end.

Mine is going back to the seller as there is obviously a real fault with it. The sound has got much worse.

The Railway Modeller review has highlighted the Cartazzi truck being angled; certainly Andy's photo of 60021 show this but 60017 looks ok. Anyone tackled this yet?

It is very noticeable as a gap- viewed side-on against a very light coloured background and partly illuminated from behind......

Mine is standing on the test track above my computer at the moment. Light is from the front and there is clutter behind. You can't see the gap even if moving to about 3 feet away at exactly eye level. I would prefer there wasn't a gap but in service it isn't worth worrying about.

RM I think were highlighting the fact that the screw holding the Cortazzi truck is angled.

Note- the Peter Coster books mention a couple of times that the inventor of the truck was actually called CORTAZZI- spelled with an O. Does anyone know if this was Francis James Cortazzi, locomotive engineer of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway?

All the very best

Les

My replacement arrived today and sounds much better so far. Unfortunately one side of the whole loco lifts as it goes over any set of points. This suggests there is something amiss with the back to backs on the drivers. I will give it a good run in and see what happens.

My replacement arrived today and sounds much better so far. Unfortunately one side of the whole loco lifts as it goes over any set of points. This suggests there is something amiss with the back to backs on the drivers. I will give it a good run in and see what happens.

Hi Elvinley,

Sorry to learn you have had issues with your second A4 too.

By contrast I gave mine another good run toninght, about an hour non-stop pulling a rake of seven new type BachFar Mk1's (As an aside their new RMB is a stunner!). It was a pleasure to sit and watch it running. If anything it is getting smoother and quieter with more running (I'd say it's up to about seven hours now) and the tender sides are barely warm to touch even after a long run like that,

It is disappointing that it still seems to be a bit of a lottery to geet a good one though, and I do have everything crossed that my positive experience with "Wild Swan" is repeated when my A3 "Lemberg" arrives.

Regards

Roy

I have found with my Britannia that the more it is run, the better it gets. Unfortunately, there was an obvious flaw with my two A4s so this would not have been possible. I took the plunge and painted my Brit's wheels and rods yesterday. It now looks the part and is running really well. It has had hours on end of running and is now actually very quiet indeed. The tender still gets warm, but nothing too drastic. One thing I found with the Brit was that it does have a real feel of quality about it which I don't feel the A4 has. Having said that, my first Brit overheated and had to go back.

I am pleased that your experience has been better than mine Roy. For now I will stick with my Farish A4s.

I disposed of my Farish A4s over the last 12 months or so, I just didn't need 25 pacifics any more- the Farish A3s went as well, and a pair of kit-built/handmade A2s will follow.

The problems with those were two-fold, particularly on the Chinese-made ones. Firstly the number of them with badly-meshed worm and gear- I returned two with STRIPPED main gears straight from the factory and have had four back to BR Lines for replacement of stripped gears. Secondly the piece supporting the valve gear was fitted by the Chinese factory the opposite way up to the Poole version- resulting in the locos running in reverse gear and putting strain on the plastic lug holding the valve gear to the chassis. This is fixable with a dollop of superglue and blue air, but avoidable- though the valve gear push-fit on the Dapol B1 works loose (two of my NQP purchases had that fault) and the slide-bars on the A4 seem to be able to work loose/not be pushed home fully in the first place resulting in angling upwards or downwards- fixable with a gentle push with a cocktail stick.

So far I've no evidence that the Dapol A4 is any worse mechanically than the Farish one. It is certainly a deal stronger, by a factor of about 100% it would appear. I've never had a Farish A4 that would take 14 coaches round a layout- a prototypical load- and my Dapol one so far has had 18 (and run out of track)......

All the very best

Les

• 3 weeks later...

A Garter Blue A4 will be with us shortly in the shape of ND128D Mallard.

This is numbered as 22 and without side skirts is suitable for the late 1946 to nationalisation period.

A4-garterblue.jpg

Supplied with etched nameplates, boiler side crest denoting its speed record and printed numerals and plates. The lamp irons are picked out in silver and the wheels have a very pleasing dusky red tone; were they repainted as such after the war after a period in austerity black? I'd like to see one of these at the head of a rake of dirtied down teak Gresleys!

Off the top of my head, that combination of Gill sans numbering on the Cab, and the shaded lettering on the tender, is incorrect. I think Mallard had cut out stainless steel lettering for pre-nationalisation up to 1949 and her repaint in express passenger blue.

If this is meant to represent pre1948 and the exchange trials, I think it should have white unshaded Gill sans "LNER" on the tender or stainless steel lettering to match that on the cab. Will check my Yeadons and RCTS volume when I get home tonight.

Other than that - looks terrific. :)

EDIT: Click the link > Yep, stainless steel lettering, and white numerals on the front bufferbeam. That indicates she was probably paired with a tender which had stainless steel lettering post-war.

Though beautiful it is, and VERY tempting, I will pass on Mallard. It is an odd choice of livery, giving the short time it actually ran in said livery. Less than two years if I am close to correct.

Personnaly, I was hoping for Brunswick Green late Crested. Or Brunswick green period. As this was the color Mallard ran with for the longest consecutive period in her operating career. Also, studies have shown that pre-nationalization layouts are fading in favorability.

Dapol Dave, if you are out there, any plans for the Brunswick green Mallard? My two-cents is that the "celebrity" locomotives should always be offered in their big four and british Rail liveries. Same goes for Sctosman. I am sure it will look lovely, but I model the 1960 era, so I have no use for a 1930s version. I feel that with many, the current Mallard and Scotsman will be merely a collectors item, doomed to sit on a shelf most of the time.

Still, the offered Mallard looks stunning.

• RMweb Gold

EDIT: Click the link > Yep, stainless steel lettering, and white numerals on the front bufferbeam. That indicates she was probably paired with a tender which had stainless steel lettering post-war.

The picture in Simon's link shows her in 1948 just before she took part in the locomotive exchanges as the tender has yet to have the rear raves cut down.

Dapol Dave, if you are out there, any plans for the Brunswick green Mallard? My two-cents is that the "celebrity" locomotives should always be offered in their big four and british Rail liveries. Same goes for Sctosman. I am sure it will look lovely, but I model the 1960 era, so I have no use for a 1930s version. I feel that with many, the current Mallard and Scotsman will be merely a collectors item, doomed to sit on a shelf most of the time.

Still, the offered Mallard looks stunning.

It does- but the problem with a "standard" Scotsman was this never was a "standard" A3- it wasn't converted to A3 until very late on (1947) by which time it was coupled to an A4 non-corridoor tender, which it kept to withdrawal. Scotsman is to be a post-preservation one, though since preservation it has been non-standard (2 tenders or A4 boiler) for longer than it has been a normal A3. Given that most A3s with A4 boilers were withdrawn with them and many had cracked frames because these boilers were heavier, running Scotsman for so many years with an A4 boiler pressed at A4 pressure and thereby heavier again could be the root cause of its current frame problems.

I would like to see Bittern, Union of South Africa and Sir Nigel Gresley in BR late crest also- I'm sure these would sell.

Les

It does- but the problem with a "standard" Scotsman was this never was a "standard" A3- it wasn't converted to A3 until very late on (1947) by which time it was coupled to an A4 non-corridoor tender, which it kept to withdrawal. Scotsman is to be a post-preservation one, though since preservation it has been non-standard (2 tenders or A4 boiler) for longer than it has been a normal A3. Given that most A3s with A4 boilers were withdrawn with them and many had cracked frames because these boilers were heavier, running Scotsman for so many years with an A4 boiler pressed at A4 pressure and thereby heavier again could be the root cause of its current frame problems.

I would like to see Bittern, Union of South Africa and Sir Nigel Gresley in BR late crest also- I'm sure these would sell.

Les

Thanks for the history Les! I hope to get a good look at Bittern and Sir N.G. in person this coming weekend while I leave the congestion of Noethern Virginia U.S.A for a European vacation, with an important stop being the NYMR Spring Steam Gala.

Probably true but at least there are late crest models so renaming/numbering is a possibilty. My guess is that some (if not all) of these will appear over time. Maybe some stores like Osbornes will take the opportunity to do some as Ltd editions.

great to see a different mallard livery being offered, however i hope to see 4468 with valances with the small non corridor tender with shiney non blackened wheels and rods like the real thing with shiney silver buffers pwease pwease pwease dave. and also 4498 as she was in the 80s and early 90s red back plates silver letters and numbers and no valences just like she was when i had a go at driving her off shed at carnforth.

oh and an lner green golden eagle wouldnt go a miss either.

oh and a corronation a4. too. great stuff will rush out to buy a few soon. now i wonder who will be first to mod one of these to 1000

And whilst we are pressuring Dave for some different A4 liveries - how about one in wartime black? - it would be a run-away success...

(Not to mention it would fit in neatly with a certain layout honouring 138 and 161 RAF Squadrons at Tempsford close by the ECML...)

Reported on another forum that the Nthusiast Club 'Silver Link' model is delayed.

http://www.Dapol.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=752&Itemid=65

The Dapol website just mentions "issues concerning the livery" but there is talk on that other forum of 'other errors to be corrected' (one mentioning changes to the cylinders/valve gear), and speculation that when 'Silver Link' does appear it will be the (more correct for the livery) valenced version.

Dave, can you add anything more or clarify please.

Paul

Hi Paul,

The trouble with speculation is that it's often wrong!

The A4 is in production as i write this in the correct 'triple' grey livery with printed boiler name and without valances.

Simple really, but where would we be without speculation, and the pleasure it brings :banghead: :sarcastic:

Hope this helps?

cheers

Dave

Hi Paul,

The trouble with speculation is that it's often wrong!

Thanks Dave,

That's why I posed it as a question rather than fact! :)

The A4 is in production as i write this in the correct 'triple' grey livery with printed boiler name and without valances.

Hopefully Silver with valences is on the future 'to do' list though ;)

Received Dapol ND128A A4 "Andrew K McCosh" today, described as a "Ready to Run" "DCC Ready" locomotive...

Observations

1. "This model needs light oiling onto the motion before use" - Failure to oil may affect any warranty claim.

Fortunately some Peco lube was to hand to oil the motion.

When you need to oil those main gears you are going to need a watchmakers screwdriver and a steady hand to remove and replace the keeper plate.

2. Installing DCC, "The tender top simply unclips from the tender chassis"

Having some Dapol LNER tenders already a figured out that a fingernail and firm squeeze on the rear of the tender might be required.

HOWEVER, you cannot remove the tender top without first removing the driveshaft! Which needs a fine pair of tweezers and a steady hand to pop out and then pop back in.

3. Plastic bags included in the packaging, no explanation as to what the parts might be for.

I can see spare driveshaft being useful for those losing one when fitting DCC ;-)

Wouldn't know how to start fitting replacement traction tyres, coupling and where all those other tiny pieces might go ?

So provided you have watchmakers screwdriver, fine tweezers, superglue, oil, lots of patience and a steady hand this engine is "Ready to Run"...

As regards running it's noisy and rather juddery :-(

The tender chassis has very low clearance, it lifts on Peco level crossing and Setrack points, interrupting the electrical signal. Not so bad with DC and at high speed, but disappointing for DCC and low speed.

At least the front bogie doesn't derail constantly like on the Dapol B17s :-)

Wouldn't have a clue regarding prototypical accuracy and honestly not that bothered, just want trains to run well straight out of the box!

Received Dapol ND128A A4 "Andrew K McCosh" today, described as a "Ready to Run" "DCC Ready" locomotive...

Observations

1. "This model needs light oiling onto the motion before use" - Failure to oil may affect any warranty claim.

Fortunately some Peco lube was to hand to oil the motion.

When you need to oil those main gears you are going to need a watchmakers screwdriver and a steady hand to remove and replace the keeper plate.

Having tried to dismantle mine to get at the underside- it DOESN'T say that you also need to unclip the brake rigging to get at the securing screw.... Fortunately it doesn't need oiling that often. However I also have had to oil MOST steam locos af all makes before use, particularly around the valve gear which dries out in transit, so it isn't unusual. The days of waiting for a loco to squeak loudly or seize before oiling it then dousing it liberally are over with today's more delicate mechanisms of all makes.

2. Installing DCC, "The tender top simply unclips from the tender chassis"

Having some Dapol LNER tenders already a figured out that a fingernail and firm squeeze on the rear of the tender might be required.

HOWEVER, you cannot remove the tender top without first removing the driveshaft! Which needs a fine pair of tweezers and a steady hand to pop out and then pop back in.

Having managed to lose the driveshaft of mine inside the body- self-inflicted clumsiness - might I make a few suggestions.

1. DON'T attempt to pick it up by the loco alone or by the tender alone. An unfamiliar "assistant" picked mine up (ie swung it round) , which is how the driveshaft came out in the first place.

2. Disconnect the driveshaft at the tender end rather than the loco end- it is easier to relocate as the far end inside the cab is b-difficult to see!

3. HOWEVER if you really MUST disconnect BOTH ends locate the tender end first to stop the whole thing disappearing inside the engine (that is what this idiot didn't do.....)

3. Plastic bags included in the packaging, no explanation as to what the parts might be for.

I can see spare driveshaft being useful for those losing one when fitting DCC ;-)

Wouldn't know how to start fitting replacement traction tyres, coupling and where all those other tiny pieces might go ?

So provided you have watchmakers screwdriver, fine tweezers, superglue, oil, lots of patience and a steady hand this engine is "Ready to Run"...

As to unlabelled bits in plastic bags, that seems to be the norm these days. Once upon a time there were no plastic bags and no breakable/replaceables. As to traction tyres, sod's law says the ONLY traction tyre I've lost recently is from a Farish Black Five, where spares AREN'T included.

As regards running it's noisy and rather juddery :-(

Run the loco in for at least an hour in each direction before attempting anything other than oiling the motion. It is remarkable how much quieter and smoother it gets. Mine is getting close to silent and will now move smoothly at well below walking pace- it needs a little more running in yet to get completely to my standards, but backing down to a train it now couples up gently without disturbing the coaches.

The tender chassis has very low clearance, it lifts on Peco level crossing and Setrack points, interrupting the electrical signal. Not so bad with DC and at high speed, but disappointing for DCC and low speed.

At least the front bogie doesn't derail constantly like on the Dapol B17s :-)

Wouldn't have a clue regarding prototypical accuracy and honestly not that bothered, just want trains to run well straight out of the box!

Lowest part of the tender should be the brake rigging on the outside, which should be just shy of 2mm higher than the wheel rims. Check that the tender wheels haven't been pushed out of the axleboxes by rough handling- they are well packed but some couriers do like to play football with the boxes.....

Hope this little lot helps.

Les

Dave - I have never seen a picture of an A4 in the triple grey livery without valances. Neither RCTS nor Yeadon have any mention of this as a livery variant. With valances, most definitely - but without? I don't think it actually happened, bar perhaps Bittern in preservation...?

298_618508199.jpg

Picture taken from the Heritage Railway Magazine website - as far as I'm aware this is the only physical form the grey A4s were ever in (bar the modification to the coupling hooks). All of them were painted into garter blue - then wartime black - then garter blue again in the late 40s before painting to express passenger blue and then the dark green for British Railways thereafter.

Hi Martin,

yes i know about the valance issue but as we wanted something special for our membership, and as the valances are a fair way away for the A4 we decided something orignal and unique wasok and so far the membership (remember only 200 are being produced) seem to agree.

cheers

Dave

Hi Martin,

yes i know about the valance issue but as we wanted something special for our membership, and as the valances are a fair way away for the A4 we decided something orignal and unique wasok and so far the membership (remember only 200 are being produced) seem to agree.

cheers

Dave

Ah, I understand now. My apologies Dave, I was not aware of that. I look forward to seeing both the unique version, and the full valanced version in the future. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my second A4, no problems with running, no over heating.

In fact all my Dapol locos have run fine out of the box. (Britannia OK, Terrier OK, B17 OK... just, no pulling power need to add mass to the engine)

Am I just lucky or are there a few to may Dapol basher out there?

Compared to new Farish (B1 is my only example) the Dapols are nosier but no worse that the older Farish.

A lot of fuss over nothing, I suspect most who have a Dapol A4 are more that satisfied, runs OK, great pulling power, looks 10X better than the old Farish,

but I have a place in my heat for my A4 Mallard from mini trix, not accurate dimentions, a bit wobbly now (tires worn out?) but she can now sit in the background now.

Just got my second A4, no problems with running, no over heating.

In fact all my Dapol locos have run fine out of the box. (Britannia OK, Terrier OK, B17 OK... just, no pulling power need to add mass to the engine)

Am I just lucky or are there a few to may Dapol basher out there?

Compared to new Farish (B1 is my only example) the Dapols are nosier but no worse that the older Farish.

A lot of fuss over nothing, I suspect most who have a Dapol A4 are more that satisfied, runs OK, great pulling power, looks 10X better than the old Farish,

but I have a place in my heat for my A4 Mallard from mini trix, not accurate dimentions, a bit wobbly now (tires worn out?) but she can now sit in the background now.

I think it is probably the case that for the the silent majority of happy customers there will always be a relatively small number of more vocal ones who are unhappy.

I haven't always been a fan. The early Dapol N steam locos (even though I have bought most of them) to me they always looked the part but just didn't deliver performance wise (With the exception of the 14xx possibly). I also disliked the nature of their designs, using lots of plastic, even for chassis and much glued together assembly making maintenance/repair difficult to impossible. That said, I have had few total failures

Fast forward to more recent models and that has changed. The B17 was somewhat transitional, but runs well. The Brit and B1 then started to have the feel of altogether better made products in spite of some shortcomings such as crosshead screw crankpins and upainted wheels.

Then comes the A4. Another step up. Mine looks great and is a lovely runner. It has over fifteen hours of running under it's belt now not a sign of a problem.

I hope this bodes well for the A3 I also have on order.

Having sung the A4's praises though, I still think that as a quality package overall the Farish A1 shades it and their forthcoming 5MT and WD look like they will raise the bar further.

No doubt Dapol will respond to the challenge as they have before. Such is the benefit (for us modellers) of competition.

Great days to be modelling British N...

Regards

Roy

Archived