Dapol A4 streaks in.

Andy Y

Has anyone else had issues with the front boogie constantly derailing?

Nor personally but this does happen with the front bogies of some larger steam engines. The usual advice is to locate the screw that holds the front bogie on and loosen it by about a quarter-turn. The extra slack should allow it to follow the rails properly.

It may be worth checking the gauge of the bogie wheels too. This may not be relevant, but I had a Manor which kept derailing and it turned out to be because the plastic inners of the wheels weren't pressed into the wheel rims properly.

• 2 months later...

Being a bit picky, but the tender should be cut down at the back, following the locomotive exchanges. Would look quite pretty next to my 7mm version tho'....

Tim

You are right, it should, but on a run of 150-200 models the tooling costs for this would mean the model just didn't happen. If you want a cut-down tender top that is the one on the Farish A4. I supect the Farish tender top might not be able to fit over the Dapol chassis and the blues will be a different shade.......

All the very best

Les

You are right, it should, but on a run of 150-200 models the tooling costs for this would mean the model just didn't happen.

The same is true for the speedo drive which wasn't present on any A4s until the mid 1950s. But it's easy to remove...

Cheers,

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

According to Dave's posting in the product updates section Eisenhower is in LNER blue, but it has been mentioned here that it will be LNER apple green? Also says green on Hattons site? Any chance this can be clarified as I don't need another blue LNER A4.

LNER apple green on an A4? Sorry I don't think they ever carried that, as I thought that was the domain of A3-A1 etc.

Certainly DDE is in Garter Blue.

Cheers

Dave

Some of them did.

There were also various differences to the shape of the parabolic curve on the smokebox. Some even had the smokebox painted black all over without the curved lining.

Best not go there.

Leave it to modellers if they want these limit period models.

If you try and don't get it perfect you will only bring down flack on your head.

I can't see this variation being a big seller though I think that Bachmann have produced the odd model in green.

Bernard

Hi Alan,

Sorry but i answered the mail at 8.50pm from home, not work. Some of us cant sit there with loads of reference books at hand etc and answer mail, search the web etc for RMweb questions.

If you expect me to carry out research in my down time to be able to acccurately answer questions on here, then i look forward to you contributing a cheque to Dapol to pay my overtime bill. :mosking:

I try my best.

cheers

Dave :locomotive:

Yes; he seems to have built a bit of a reputation for himself.

I always try to offer solutions to any problems I find with models. See the A3 thread where I reworked a Scotsman, the Hall thread where I improved two Halls, the Brit thread where I reworked a Brit, etc etc.

Many complain here, but few offer solutions...

Cheers,

Alan

I'm not sure this is the place for bickering chaps. It does detract from what has been an enjoyable thread to read.

I think we should stick to discussing the model in question - singings its praises and offering constructive advice on how it can be further improved.

Dave, not wishing to create a fuss here, but various retailers are listing ND-128H DDE as being in LNER green (which I have presumed to be apple green, hence my question a few days ago.) My sources are:

Antics http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1736_1_2045128.html

Hattons http://www.ehattons.com/58846/Dapol_Model_Railways_ND128H_Class_A4_steam_locomotive_Dwight_D_Eisenhower_in_LNER_green/StockDetail.aspx

Rails of Sheffield https://railsofsheffield.com/class-a4-dwight-d-eisenhower-lner-green-nd128h-JJJA19983.aspx

Andy York's posting http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59092-Dapol-20123-new-catalogue-announcements/ - scroll down half way

And Dapol's own website http://www.Dapol.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=769&Itemid=64 - scroll down half way.

Maybe it should be brought to the retailers' attention as like me some may have pre-ordered and will not receive the loco they were expecting.

George

Hi George,

Thanks for the links, and these guys have already been notified that it's in LNER Garter Blue. I'm afraid this has come from the catalogue miss-print stating Apple Green when it never was meant to be.

The catalogue page you note shows more mistakes than i care to comment on as i wasnt party to putting that up or knew about until you put the link up. Thie page will be deleted and replaced with a more accurate rendition of whats coming in what livery and product number etc.

sorry for the confusion

Cheers

Dave

LNER apple green on an A4? Sorry I don't think they ever carried that, as I thought that was the domain of A3-A1 etc.

Certainly DDE is in Garter Blue.

Cheers

Dave

The second batch of A4s were turned out new in apple green in 1936-37. This was locos 4482 to 4487, of which 4483-7 had a vertical rear to the black front (at the first boiler band) and were the only A4s without a parabolic sweep to the front-end colour. Note they all had valances. The green livery was extinct by February 1938 when they were all repainted garter blue. Note these all had valances.

All the very best

Les

Archived