Dapol A4 streaks in.

Andy Y

Silver Link arrived a few days back. It was noisy at first, but after a little extra weight was added to the tender and some Power Lube added to the tender axles things started to improve. At first I though I had a faulty loco as the noise it made when starting was incredibly loud and grinding. This was all coming from the tender wheels as it stopped when the tender was lifted. It has now had many hours of running in and is running very well. It is now a quiet running loco with very acceptable noise levels - quieter than a recently purchased Farish Class 20. I am well aware of the fact that this loco should have valances and that the pony truck should be grey rather than black, but there is no denying that this is a great looking loco and looks pretty stunning with a rake of teaks behind it. The valances are going to be a big challenge for Dapol, and may never happen, and personally I would rather have a non-valanced Silver Link than no Silver Link at all.

Some good points to note: The doors when fitted pretty much hide the cardan shaft and the loco will still negotiate tight curves.

Included are 2 magnetic couplings AND 2 spare springs.

Parts of the valve gear may be fictional for this loco - they are still a joy to watch with the extra parts.

One more point: don't be silly and bid stupid money if another comes onto Ebay (the last one went for 147 quid with postage) - just join the Nthusiasts club and get one of these for £95!

Silver Link on Elvinley:

gallery_4819_2123_1395706.jpg

Sure is a Beaut.

Teh valances might be hard, but they could do a few things. I think the easiest would be to recreate the rodding so that the top part hidden by the valances no longer exists, while the bottom part gives the illusion of having it... if that makes sense at all.

You could lose some of the hidden parts but the problem is that most of the moving parts of the valve gear can still be seen even with the valances on. Getting all of this behind valances and having robust valve gear in N will be a huge challenge. If the valances are too wide people will definitely moan.

I have not paid too much attention to the specs. Are the valve gear, etc, wide enough that they would interfere with valances? I assume so. Really the only concievable option I can think of would be to somehow "flatten" the valve gear and rodding to make a slimmer profile, allowing for valances to be placed over. The only other option I can see is to make the running plate area a little wider, which would allow for the valances to have the neccessary clearance. However, this would probably require new or revised tooling which is more $$ and not very economical. This brings us back to the underlying feeling that valances aren't going to happen.

For me this is really not an issue. I model the 60s anyways. Give me a late crested Mallard, the livery it spent the most of its career in, and I will be happy.

The main reason I've held off the pre-war A4's is that I want valancing. I'm sure Dapol can engineer something, the layout is crying out for Mallard in garter blue.

Dave, is there any possibility that an original form A1 will be produced, a GNR liveried Great Northern would look smashing.

It's never going to happen is it?

Really?

Well i take my hat off to you for having insider knowledge. :pardon:

I'd better stop work on the design now then, and do something else. :yahoo_mini: :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

My fishing expedition worked.

Thank you, Dave.

Alan

I'd better stop work on the design now then, and do something else. :yahoo_mini: :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

Not unless the something else is an N gauge V3, J50, J72, K3, Sentinel Railcar or a J series (other than J39) which could use the tender from the B1/B17, in which case you have my consent to stop right now!

George

Not unless the something else is an N gauge V3, J50, J72, K3, Sentinel Railcar or a J series (other than J39) which could use the tender from the B1/B17, in which case you have my consent to stop right now!

George

I am sure Dave will have done his sums, but personally I am surprised that the Market for a valanced A4 is sufficiently big to justify the partial redesign and tooling costs.

I's be much happier with any of the above, but a J50 Tank certainly does appeal, especially if it is as good as the Panniers promise to be.

Roy

After having success with Silver Link, I decided to try and get hold of a Mallard. None of the main shops are showning them in stock on their websites and one went on Ebay for £118.50 the other day. So it seems to be getting rare.

I decided to try ringing round a few shops and the first one I tried had one in stock: Hereford Model Centre. I have bought a few things from them before and they are a decent shop.

The loco arrived today and is running well so far. It runs cooler than Silver Link and is quietening down after a very noisy start. One of the front buffers was about to fall off but a quick dab of Superglue has sorted that. Everything else seems good so far. The first two A4s I had were faulty and had to be returned so I wasn't going to get any more. So far I'm glad I gave them another go as these two seem good.

Even if stock isn't showing online anywhere, try ringing round before resorting to bidding stupid money on Ebay, as many shops will still have stock.

Cheers,

Ian.

• 1 month later...

is this a sight for soar eyes or what ;)

Silver Link and Mallard sit on shed while Sir Nigel Gresley steams by

3_A4s.jpg

all i need now is Mallard to be valanced, a Valanced Bittern, Union Of South Africa, Dwight and Canada :) then thats my 6 A4s :)

• 3 months later...

How about merlin in ultramarine experimental blue? Such a beautiful overlooked livery.

Edd

If you've either got a copy of the photo or can scan the pic in Railway Mag a couple of years back, why not email it to Dave with the suggestion?

All the very best

Les

Have been pottering with a little experimental front end detailing on the A4 with results below.

Loco has had:

- lamp irons painted black (not sure they were ever silver)

- coupling hook and vacuum pipe added and hook painted silver

- new turned brass buffer heads

- stoneguards in brass (painted silver)

- cylinder drain pipes added (long style attached to stoneguards as in LNER and early BR days)

Managed to get enough clearance that it'll still go round 9" curves!

The loco has also had  valve gear colours harmonised and better coal fitted as well as my normal perfomance upgrades (more pickups, weight in tender, strip down to lubricate worm etc).

post-7627-0-64099700-1363445417.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

Archived