Halwill Goods Shed

My first entry to the 2012 Challenge will be a model of the Halwill Goods Shed (less cattle dock).

This will be an exercise in mixed media using scalescenes printed material on a plasticard shell with plastic and brass details. Although without a detailed interior (Olddudders request), it will be illuminated.

Here are some preparatory sketches:

post-123-0-88447900-1331824334.jpg

post-123-0-13463000-1331824482.jpg

F

• RMweb Gold

I remember walking round this station in the 1980's when it was derelict. I made a model of the same goods shed many years ago.It still resides on 'Appledore'.

I will see if I can find the shots of the goods shed I took at Halwill backin the 80's.

Ian

...I will see if I can find the shots of the goods shed I took at Halwill backin the 80's.

Ian

Thanks, Ian. This will help me and olddudders (I'm building it for him, he has the Halwill based layout). I do have a few photos culled from t'interweb and from OD, but anything you can post would be a great bonus and help.

F

• RMweb Gold

I don't have as many as I thought but here are all my shots of the station, good shed and slaughter house from 1982 just in case these are useful aswell. i have plans of the shed in a book or magazine somewhere but cant remember which one. If you dont have these then I will keep looking.

Ian

post-1557-0-46737300-1332021675_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-41232000-1332021766_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-85716900-1332021857_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-80664500-1332021890_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-31181400-1332022193_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-58755300-1332022258_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Those are very helpful pics for both the goods shed and the station building. I'm not proposing to use the slaughterhouse because my revised track layout doesn't really allow for it - and it seems a slightly distasteful building, even though I eat meat.

Thanks very much for bothering!

• RMweb Premium

Great photos, but sad to see a once great junction in that state.

Do you have anymore of the area that you wouldn't mind sharing? Perhaps on my North Cornwall Railway info dump thread if too OT for here?

• RMweb Gold

I venture to suggest these pics are just fine here, although iD must have the final word. I stood on that overbridge at W&B in about 1981 and took a couple of snaps - but I'm not sure I'll ever find them again. We didn't get as far as Halwill on that trip - has to be added to "The Things We Never Did" list of life!

Well, there's nothing like a bit of healthy competition to get the old modelling juices going...

I started cutting plastic today using 60thou black plastic - this will give me a fair amount of robustnes, especially when the floor and roof supports are inserted:

post-123-0-17171400-1332090220.jpg

At the top is one side already cut out, whilst the second side is awaiting the window and door cut out. You will note that one side (the road side) has no door cut out. This is because this side had an external hanging door on runners and as it will be modelled in the closed position, I saw no need to fight the 60 thou plastic more than I have to..

More pictures as the carcass progresses...

F

• 3 weeks later...

I had assembled the shell and then had an "Oh Bu99er!" moment - the structure was too narrow (see photos in post above) - giving a tall and thin appearance, quite unlike the robust squatness of the original...

I went back to the original drawings from which I had derived my plans, and lo and behold I had cut the ends too narrow - by about 6 - 8mm. So I was left in a quandary, start again or try and salvage all the work (and the material) I had invested. Given that I too suffer from that unwillingness to dump things after investing a lot of work*, I decided to dismantle the shed and expand the ends - which I duly did (a task which involved dismantling the shell, widening the ends and lowering the sides - a few hours work!)

post-123-0-30197200-1333516276.jpg post-123-0-01771800-1333516310.jpg

As I would be using very thin (5 or 10 thou) plastic for the roof (overlayed, of course, by the excellent Scalescenes "corrugated iron") in order to get a prototypical roof thickness, I added internal partitions and - despite not creating an interior - added a light bar so that a dim glow would be visible through the, protopically filthy, windows...

post-123-0-07524900-1333516527.jpg

However, leaving it for a week and revisiting with fresh eyes meant that I was even more critical of it and I felt that it did NOT come up to what I expect of myself, nor was it something I could in all good conscience "fob-off" on Olddudders, my client (...psst Squire, want a goods shed, going real cheap, only a few minor dings, fell of the back of a layout, narwattamean Guv?)

So there was only one fitting solution:

Into The Bin It Went!

post-123-0-47532200-1333516785.jpg

I have now redrawn the plans of the ends and made some changes to the sides in order to make construction easier and more accurate (also changing minor errors which came to light during construction). I will now cut the new shell over Easter and assemble

F

* getting someone "in so deep" that they can't bear to walk away and take the loss, but continue to "throw good money after bad", is a tactic used by con men and dodgy dealers everywhere. This inability to cut your losses, whilst hoping that it'll get better sooner or later explains why many people are engulfed in terrible situations (bad relationships, not moving from a war zone, etc., etc.) when objectively such situations were clearly forthcoming and thus avoidable...

• RMweb Gold

Well done to you for having the conviction to start again, but would the old shed make a good 'old shed' on a layout somewhere, covered in ivy with just the roof timbers left ?

Stu

Well, it was back to the drawing board (in this instance, quite literally) and a new set of plans drawn up for Halwill Goods Shed. In the absence of enough black 60 thou plastic, I built the shell in 60 thou white, with the roof supports and light bar assembly in 40 thou black plastic.

The advantage of white over black plastic is that it is easier to see sloppy and messy work, the disadvantage is that it is easier to see sloppy and messy work...

Anyway, here is the work done to date...

post-123-0-32889200-1333886404.jpg post-123-0-55269400-1333886417.jpg

post-123-0-73942000-1333886466.jpg post-123-0-79315100-1333886476.jpg

After reading Stu's post ("The Stub"? Like "The Stig" - Ace at what he does!), I retrieved the first version of the goods shed and used it as a test bed for the approach of printing scalescenes textures onto self-adhesive labels and then attaching them to the carcass.

At first glance it looks passable:

post-123-0-76508700-1333886643.jpg

But looking more closely, you'll notice the "stretch marks" presumably from peeling back the label and re-positioning. You'll also notice the sloppy corner work, done freehand wearing only my normal working glasses (1x magnification). A brand new blade, steel straightedge and 4x magnifying glasses will be the solution here. The white edges need to be better coloured and I will have to raid my pastel pencil box...

post-123-0-29228400-1333886721.jpg

Lesson No. 1: With a selfadhesive backing you get only one chance to get it right.....

The next photo shows how accurate, exact 90 degree, placement of the inner wall is critical and how - if the window recess isn't exactly straight - you get lumps...

post-123-0-78930100-1333886854.jpg

On the right is where everything was straight and the inner wall was flush with the window recess, on the left is shows where it isn't... The bottom cill is uneven due to sloppy cutting, but will receive a thin plasticcard lintel over it - neatening everything out

Lesson No. 2: Paper, unlike plastic, is unforgiving with no chance to file back and "make good" - get it all right the first time

Finally, the final photo show how a lintel neatens up the cill, but also how, if you don't get your cuts correct, it gets lumpy...

post-123-0-36865200-1333887141.jpg

I am not sure if I quite like this approach (using paper and plasticard) as I find that paper/card isn't forgiving enough of my bodges; still one leearns, one learns... Once the production version of the Goods Shed has been clad (Oooh - a nude Goods Shed - Naughty, Naughty!), it's back to plastic, resin and and brass etches.

F

• RMweb Gold

You are correct that card is less easy to correct if the cuts aren't straight, but practice helps. I also follow Alan Downe's instruction of cutting from the corners - that's eight directions of cut for one four sided openiing, but patience and a sharp blade help.

This is looking really good, and I like the ease that you use all different mediums to get the right finish.

Just off to buy a white helmet...

Alas, Oh woe is me, the Halwill Goods Shed hit the buffers this weekend as my colour laser printer failed to work.... :cry: The problem IS resolvable, but not this week, alas.

So with a heavy heart, I turned away from paper and back to my favourite medium - plastic. I proceeded to cut the roof out of 15 thou black plasticard, built the doors from 60 thou plastic card and strip, built the skirting from 60 thou and assembled the door runner (for over the roadside sliding door)

Pretty pics below:

post-123-0-14146200-1334509694.jpg post-123-0-39082300-1334509736.jpg

And some detail:

post-123-0-03857800-1334509759.jpg post-123-0-05929200-1334509771.jpg

I was also disappointed today when I found out that the etched valence that I have in stock is not suitable for the goods shed valence - so it's going to be scratch built from strip :this: . I'm now off to cry into a single malt whisky and enjoy a plate of pasta with home made ragu di salsiccia...

F

Archived