The Old Blue Last Pub (Mr Brunel's Hat)

• RMweb Premium

Why can I see in my minds eye a Whickham trolley, pursued by a DEMU and an Austerity with false side tanks.....with a lot of hockey sticks waving.... :jester:

Super pub build sir, I have only just stumbled across this thread and am in awe.

As promised, pictures of the MBH Pub doors, assembled from Unravelled's excellent laser cut components (bespoke for MBH!)

The door furniture (push plates, door knobs [private doors] and letter boxes) are still to be added - either gold leaf or thin brass strip.

post-123-0-08281700-1366698717.jpg  post-123-0-11233400-1366698740.jpg  post-123-0-24752800-1366698757.jpg

iD

I must admit I had forgotten about this thread. I was reading with interest last year as I know the pub well, having worked almost opposite for eleven years. I occasionally went there on a Friday night when they had a live band on. Unfortunately not many of my colleagues were that keen on joining me -  there were a number of establishments in Shoreditch, at the time, that provided the sort of entertainment that was more appealing to red blooded young men! I believe that some of them still exist. 

As promised, some views of Dave's (Unravelled) superb laser cut components for MBH. The components are laid out in assembly sequence (from front to back [except doors which are laid out from back to front]).

First off, an overview of what he sent me:

post-123-0-68760700-1366782027.jpg

Dave was kind enough to provide multiple copies of each item, just in case of screw-ups on my side (so far not needed, thank goodness). From the ground floor, upwards

• Doors:

post-123-0-45167900-1366782174.jpg

• Bar/Saloon/Snug Big Windows

post-123-0-42068900-1366782223.jpg

• First Floor (Dining Rooms/Offices?)

post-123-0-28940800-1366782263.jpg

• Second Floor (Living Accommodation?)

post-123-0-20725100-1366782504.jpg

I also have one or two components that will allow me to model some windows half-open.

I'm slowly working my way through the construction of these, I want to ensure that I have an acceptable paint job that complements Dave's work (I had mentioned before that Royal Blue is a pig to work with) and I also want to ensure a neat and tidy construction.

Next up: Bar/Saloon/Snug Big Windows. Pictures by the weekend?

iD

• RMweb Gold

Very impressive!

I am intrigued by the raised panel mouldings, are they seperate components, or did he "mill away" the main door surface?

Wally

On the real doors, the panels are flush with the sliles and rails on the outside, with a bead detail around them. All I did was engrave a line to represent the bead. The edges of the door were similarly engraved.

hth

Dave

• 3 months later...

For those of you wondering about my silence, I have not been idle, just busy with job hunting, surviving horrible heat and finally getting moving with the "Big Pub Build"...

I have now started a dedicated thread for the OBL in Scenery, Structures and Transport - given that the 2012 competition is over.

The link: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74916-the-refurbished-boozer-mr-brunels-hat/

Enjoy

iD

Archived