The Old Blue Last Pub (Mr Brunel's Hat)

Are you not thinking of St CUSTARD's, Your Grace?

Chris

M'Lud, may I explain to the court and jury that the Hamlet of St Cuthberts on Perry, is home to the renowned (very) minor Public School St Cuthbert's. Known to pupils and alumni as "St Custards". As I am sure M'Lud knows being an Olde Custardonian himself....

Btw, as it is located on Great Eastern Street within a stone's throw from Liverpool Street Station you cannot call it Mr. Brunels' Hat!

IMHO, YMMV!

Best, Pete.

Well spotted, Sir. However, as the model will be [a] finished in red brick, not London yellow brick, be affiliated with a fictional brewery (Morgan & White) and [c] moved across country to the Welsh borders, I think I can get away with calling it MBH, "The Brunel" or similar - assuming I don't use one of the fine suggestions made in the previous posts.

F

So, three family crests from which to choose. [Pedant mode on] Is a family crest the same as a coat of arms? [Pedant mode off] Are there three families Brunel or just one?

As an aside, when I was researching background info for the Earl of Devon pub, I looked at the crests of the Courtenay family, this being the Earl's family name. Guess what: every pub of that name had a different crest!

Flavio, call it "The Brunel" and you can have a portrait of The Man Himself on the sign, plus or minus hat as you think fit.

Chris

I like the idea of his hat with just his boots protruding out the bottom of it.

I apparently not only have a selection of "Coat of Arms" but several different plaids to make Kilts out of!!!!!

Best, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Il Pigro? surely a "stretchy coverall garment, worn by very young, sick, creatures of the porcine genus - see "The Uxbridge English Dictionary"

To be pedantic, "Pigro" means lazy, but loosely translated "il Pigro" means "layabout" - which I am sure is an unwarranted slur on the esteemed Mr Trisonic.

F

• RMweb Gold

Anent names, but adding conspicuously little of value, iD has nearly got it right - it should be the Aardvark & Ferret. OTOH I knew a chap who always referred to pubs in generic terms - every one was the Old Boot & Socks. He was elated to discover a wine bar near London Bridge called the Boot & Flogger!

Other odd names near us in Kent included the Spyglass & Kettle - pubsign a chap with telescope, and Rocket; the Startled Saint - a saintly-looking chap with the expression of someone who has just sat in something wet; the Duke without a Head - a hunting scene in which one rider has been rendered headless, due to the subject resenting being in the picture; and the Rorty Crankle.

• RMweb Gold

Anent names, but adding conspicuously little of value, iD has nearly got it right - it should be the Aardvark & Ferret. OTOH I knew a chap who always referred to pubs in generic terms - every one was the Old Boot & Socks. He was elated to discover a wine bar near London Bridge called the Boot & Flogger!

We have a pub called 'The Golden Ball' not far from the town - it has a very well known generic name among the locals (although I'm not sure if the incomers are quite as familiar with it?).

• RMweb Gold

We have a pub called 'The Golden Ball' not far from the town - it has a very well known generic name among the locals (although I'm not sure if the incomers are quite as familiar with it?).

My father assured me that the Crows' Nest, adjoining Newcastle station, was called the Sh*t & Twigs, while I also heard of that well-known roadhouse, the Half-Way Inn (there must be several round the land) being known as the Frustrated Virgin!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just finished laying down the first coats of paint for TBA (The Brunel Arms [working title]), and for once I am fairly pleased* with the outcome (photos to follow below). I have replaced the black of the Old Blue Last with dark blue (local brewery colours) and I have used Tamiya "Deck Tan" as the "mortar" undercoat over which I'll dry brush a dark red brick colour.

After the first coats went on, I took a step back and looked at the model and thought "D*mn, that's pretty much a dead ringer for the Old Blue Last". The Tamiya Deck Tan over a matt white undercoat gives a really good colour match to clean, yellow London brick. I'm almost tempted to just wash the Deck Tan with dilute darkened Deck Tan, to highlight the mortar and keep the pub in London brick, unfortunately my layout is set in the wrong part of the country for yellow brick...

These pictures show the first coat for the brickwork and dark blue facade. The white "plaster work" is finished except for the weathering. The blue is a light wash and I reckon a few more VERY thin coats will bring up the dark blue very nicely.

post-123-0-76872900-1346046650.jpg post-123-0-00727500-1346046663.jpg

post-123-0-10722800-1346046678.jpg post-123-0-43909600-1346046687.jpg

I may try a semi gloss last coat for the blue - although it'll be very diluted (as it would need to be so that it doesn't overwhelm the detail), I wonder if it would keep the sheen. Any thoughts?

F

*p.s. Let me qualify the statement "fairly pleased"... It means that I can see the mistakes but they're not too blindingly obvious and may be overlooked by most viewers.

edited for clarity and remove redundancy

• 2 weeks later...

Good news, bad news sort of thing...

The Good News: The facade painting is going well and should be essentially complete by Thursday (pictures to be posted I hope), with final cleaning up when all is assembled. Sketches are complete for the interiors I will install (2 bars and one office).

The Bad News, window creation and installation is very much on the slow track and thus it is unlikely I'll finsih the pub by the October 1st deadline (although my other two entries will be done).

Nonetheless, it will be a very acceptable model when completed

F

Well, the bulk of the grunt work has been done and the facade 90% finished (I have to paint the ground floor steps [which I forgot to do tonight], "make good" and add some brick highlights and darker areas, touch up the mortar and weather [the very last job of all]).

Here it is on the workbench in its entirety:

post-123-0-19036000-1347394578.jpg

And here is the building from 3 different angles...

post-123-0-23769200-1347394615.jpg post-123-0-13359000-1347394631.jpg post-123-0-36259000-1347394645.jpg

And a close up of the gilded ornate stucco:

post-123-0-20702200-1347394679.jpg

The frames of the recesses in the plasterwork below the ground floor windows are gilded and I plan on using gold carriage lining transfers for that. The gilded roundels (another great laser cut effort from Unravelled) will go on last - just before the final weathering.

The gold (Tamiya Metallic Gold) is a bit too flat and I'm wondering if, after making good, I could buff it up a bit with a cotton bud. Interestingly, when I first took pictures of the OBL it had been freshly repainted and the gold gleamed, when I was last there in May the gold was barely shinier than that on my model.

Next stop build the superb laser cut windows from Unravelled (Dave), install them and make and install the 3 rooms I plan as interiors (two bars and an upstairs office.

As always, comments etc....

F

You never cease to amaze me. A work of art indeed!

I wouldn't worry about the gold looking flat. Fresh paint does not stay fresh for long!

Remind me: in which county is St Cuthberts supposed to be and how big is the town? Sizeable market at the very least, I hope.

Chris

Dave (unravelled) sent me a set of laser cut window parts to try out for the pub.

They are a multi-part item and Dave kindly sent an assembly sequence diagramme:

post-123-0-38781200-1348001217.jpg

They are VERY fiddly to assemble and the plastic used (which can withstand the laser cutting) is an absolute SOB to glue, even Plastic Magic wasn't effective. I finally ended up using some old UHU "Plast" semi-liquid cement (the stuff that comes in a glass bottle) which had enough grabbing power. As you can see by the attached photo, in order to ensure a good solid assembly, I framed each window assembly with pieces of plastic strip, each washed with a liberal amount of Plastic Magic (which this time did take) and then when tacky fitted to assembly sides. This was followed by a little extra dribble of Plastic Magic to hold things in place.

post-123-0-68976400-1348001653.jpg

However, when everything aligns and does glue together, the result is superb:

post-123-0-61415800-1348001713.jpg

I've already sent Dave my thanks and my feedback and I look forward to the production run of the windows.

Now if I could only source here in Switzerland some of that really heavy duty plastic solvent you can still geet in the UK

F

.... Remind me: in which county is St Cuthberts supposed to be and how big is the town? Sizeable market at the very least, I hope.

Thank'ee, Kind Sir, 'tis a market town somewhere near the Welsh borders (and the pub is somewhere for Headmaster Grimes, Sigismund Arbuthnot [the mad maths master], the matron and other staff to escape from Molesworth, Grabber, Peason, Fortherington-Thomas etc. for BEER, peece and quiete - as any fule kno)

• 7 months later...

Meanwhile, a little later....

Well, it's been a while, but the MBH "Big Pub Build" is slowly getting up to speed (again). Since my last posts on the subject, Dave (unravelled) had completed and sent me laser cut windows for all three floors and laser cut doors. Very simply, they are superb.

Since the PoC windows, some modifications have been made to the components: two holes in opposite corners of the components so that the pieces can be aligned during assembly, a slightly simpler build and a change in materials.

Dave sent me a big package of components which are slowly being painted (slowly, because Royal Blue is a bit of a pig to apply thinly but still have a decent coverage - so I'm doing multiple thin washes on each component). Assembly uses a mixture of super glue and Plastic Magic and the completed assembly is framed with plastic strip to stop delamination of the component's parts.

I have just completed the doors (pictures to follow shortly) and the big ground floor windows are next. I've added "locks" to all sets of doors and need to devise a way to creat brass push plates for the main doors.

There will be one drawback in adding the completed window/door structures, I'll have to remove the vertical supports from the rear of the building - a task I'm dreading (but I've got to do it as my ham-like fists won't squeeze between the vertical supports).

iD

I have just completed the doors (pictures to follow shortly) and the big ground floor windows are next. I've added "locks" to all sets of doors and need to devise a way to creat brass push plates for the main doors.

iD

How about some of that self adhesive copper tape used for wiring dolls houses and D C C circuits together with a sharp scalpel.

Wally

Wally, self-adhesive metal strip sounds like a possible solution, although the material needs to be brass, not copper. I wonder if there is anyone who manufacturers such things. However, the use of thin metal glued in place will certainly give the doors the right look, in the absence of self-adhesive brass, it will have to be thin brass etched kit offcuts trimmed to size.

An excellent Idea, thanks

Thank'ee, Kind Sir, 'tis a market town somewhere near the Welsh borders (and the pub is somewhere for Headmaster Grimes, Sigismund Arbuthnot [the mad maths master], the matron and other staff to escape from Molesworth, Grabber, Peason, Fortherington-Thomas etc. for BEER, peece and quiete - as any fule kno)

I think you mean St Custards , wich ane fule no is accherlie in Kambrij, seet o' anchunt lernin.  I dus av' the jubeyus onner o' bein' the Skool Janiter, so I shud noe.  A small group of Molesworth devotees meet at The Panton Arms, Cambridge, on an irregular basis, mainly to consume BERE & SOSSIDGES!

Meanwhile, here on Planet RMWeb, you might try using Gold Leaf for your 'brass' plates, and for the gold painted areas.  Not as expensive as it sounds, easily put on with varnish, and you won't have to keep the barmaid polishing it!

Adams 442T You are indede rite, there IS also a St Custard's at Kambrij, but this is a SPIN-OFFF skool set up by GRABBER & GRABBER (and blesed by Headmaster Grimes  who gets a cut) to separat forane parents from their mony provid a compleet wurld klas educashun to xchange stuidents, as any fule kno (there is also a St Cakes for gurls at Oxfud set up by that weedy wet Fotherington Thomas, who now drives a roller - chiz). Both St Custard's enjoy a "helthy akademik xchange" - which menes they are always unloding there DROSS on each other. PEASON, my grate frend, is a permement fxtur on the St Custard's - St Custard's Shuttel.

Gold leaf sounds a distinct possibility, if I can source it here.

Archived