Worsdell Forever's LNER F8 2-4-2T Scratchbuild.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Right, about time this was finished...

After nearly a four month break and with less than a month to go for the challenge, work has recommenced. The first job was to fit the boiler followed by the handrails and front lamp brackets. The loco I'm modelling had tapered buffers and I've fitted some Cavendish (Slaters) ones that I picked up for about £1 at an exhibition a while ago. The spring hangers have been made from .9mm wire, the top bent over and soldered to the top of the springs, these assemblies were then soldered behind the frames and to the smokebox. Whistles (spare Dave Alexander lost wax brass ones) have been fitted to the cab roof and this has been painted black. After some rummaging in boxes of bits I have found enough castings to complete the loco, most are spares from Alexander kits although the chimney is from 247, I have no idea where the smokebox door came from.

post-7104-0-94412900-1347229578.jpg

post-7104-0-96234500-1347229591.jpg

Hi Paul

I have been waiting to see how this was progressing and I am not disappointed, it looks very good. Did you make the springs yourself too or did you buy them in before fixing the spring hangers.

A great loco and something to be proud of.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Well it was a bit of a faff but the Westinghouse pump is fitted and plumbed in. I've also added the clacks, smokebox wheel, tank fillers and the 'neptune fork' on the top of the tank. I have some 247 fire irons to go on here. The Westinghouse pipes are of unknown origin, I seem to have an excess of these spare from kits! This loco was fitted with a vacuum ejector a year or so after the period modelled so that's why there are no vac pipes.

post-7104-0-79436400-1347313429.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Peter, yes quite pleased.

On Monday night I got the buffer heads fitted and painted, brakes made up, fitted and painted and Westinghouse pipes fitted. Next jobs are to make up some guard irons and fit them then paint the fireman's tools to go on the tank top. Photos hopefully tomorrow night.

Paul

That looks really good and I enjoyed following the build. It has encouraged me to have a go at scratch building later on when I need to, so if it has inspired someone to have a go that's no bad bad thing.

Once again great work and thanks for posting.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Paul.

I have checked up on Malcolm Crawley's loco and yes, he did 420 as well! I would have loved him to be able to see the two together! I am sure he would have approved of your loco. The only significant difference I can see is that his is lined in single red LNER lining, presumably representing a different period.

Can I suggest a loco crew to finish her off, plus perhaps a slight touch of rust/burn colour on the fire irons? That really would be guilding the lily.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the great comments.

Kat, yes it would but it ain't getting it!

Mike, He needn't bother :O that's happened to me before, I scratchbuilt my ES1 (see my avatar) and a few months later...

Jim, go for it - you'll enjoy it.

Tony, I would have loved it if he could have seen it, Fred Rowntree too. It probably should be lined, but it's modelled in a period when lining was being dropped. It will get a crew and the fire irons were just placed on for the last photo, I was looking at the photos on the computer and realised they weren't there so a quick spray of black, snip them off the fret and place them on.

Now that does look good. I can think of a certain gentleman who, seeing this, might just reach for the appropriate G.A. drawing and start thinking about how ..........

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

I am with you on this, I have also spoken to the same gentleman on the possibility of an etched kit for this loco.

• 6 months later...

I'm very late adding my two penn'orth to this, but what a marvellous example of actually MAKING a model that is! A nice choice of subject too.

By contrast, just buying a large selection of finished items and combining them in a "personalised" way, but either wholly unaltered or largely unaltered, shouldn't really qualify to be described as "modelling".

Archived