Red Devil's likely to fall by the wayside 2012 entry.

Entered with the best of intentions, but as per normal unlikely to see the finishing straight.

I have developed a bit of an unhealthy (for my wallet) thing about 7mm/ft tramcars recently, I have never modelled anything at all in any scale greater than 4mm/ft so this O gauge lark is a whole new ball game, but the scope for detail is so much greater and the models themselves seem to have a bit of a presence.

So onto the model itself, having been working with 3D printing for some while now, I already have the CAD to the body shell of a Leeds Chamberlain car, in their day these were also known as 'Pivotals' due to the EMB truck they used, the idea was that the 2 axle 10ft long truck pivoted through a series of linkages to give a similar ride to a bogie car but cheaper. Leeds was the only major UK user of this truck having in the region of 200 cars on this type of truck. Unfortunately it didn't work very well as they had to be maintained to a high standard for the linkages to do their job, in the end most were locked solid creating a 10ft rigid wheelbase with pretty severe implications for the track, it was said that you could find slivers of metal that the 'Pivotals' had removed. In the end many were re trucked on to Peckham P35s.

The main body for the car will be produced in grey resin using steriolithography by I materialise. the rest of it by pretty traditional methods

A few CAD pics to be going on with whilst waiting for the body to arrive.

post-7067-0-98471200-1331843938.jpg

post-7067-0-08035400-1331843981.jpg

post-7067-0-48754300-1331843987.jpg

post-7067-0-93031600-1331843992.jpg

post-7067-0-67894900-1331844001.jpg

Now that is really nice and the detail is fantastic. Makes one wish for a Manchester bogie but like all trams, it would be a b*gger to glaze.

Very likely to happen, I've aleady got the Pilcher done, just needs a few tweaks to be right, Manchester Std is one I very much fancy doing.

post-7067-0-96156200-1331847993.jpg

The dash is the bit causing the problem, need to get the curve right, at the moment the front is too flat, the Pilcher has proved to be the most awkward yet, it's got bits going in all directions, the upper deck is wider than the lower and the panels taper in........! Front tapers but all the drawings show it as flat.....etc etc.

Mind you, test prints look a bit more like a Pilcher than some previous models (just!)

• 6 years later...

Archived