N15class's 2012 Challenge, Push Pull Trailer third.

N15class

Really very good indeed. I'm now questioning why spend so much money on coaches when the time I wait to save up for one could be spent building one!

Lovely work Peter.

Thanks for that.

I used to make coaches this way in 4mm. So I am looking forward to see how this turns out.

Trouble is if it comes out OK, I might find myself doing a 4 or 5 coach set of LSWR Ironclads. Not sure what is worst lining panelling or lining to look like panelling. Then of coarse that leads to needing a nice little 4-4-0 to pull them. Does it ever end???? :no:

I was very pleased today as I had a packet turn up from Roxey Mouldings. A gearset and most importantly a set of buffers and bogies.

Now someone here needs to be sacked. I had checked to see what to order from Roxey I had a set of buffers so only needed one set, so what does muggings here do only order one bogie, when I need a pair for the driver to sit on.

Suppose I will just have to wait another month or so.

The bogie looks like an enlargment of the 4mm one. They where nice so I am hoping this will go to gether well too.

Just a little up date showing a bit of progress with the roof. This is two narrow strips of 2mm card each side, a much wider strip of 2mm holding the sides in the right place. Then there is a piece of 1mm and 0.5mm on top each narrower than the preveous. so hopefully when scraped to shape there will be no joins showing.

I have no idea if in the end it will work. From what I have done so far it seems to be.

It is much harder to do with the scraper than I thought it would be. This is made from 1mm nickle silver sheet. I am really glad I left the sheet whole as it acts as a nice handle. I think it will at least mean both sides of the roof will have the same profile, even if I have the profile wrong. I still have to finish the first side, SWMBO is home today so no work going on. It makes one hell of a mess too. Best done when alone.

post-13601-0-86241000-1335474159_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-75404800-1335474284_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-94396900-1335474377_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-68374400-1335474489_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That is really impressive, I would love to be able to scratch build a coach but I work in 4mm scale and there isn't much not available. Tempted by a pre group coach of some form as long as it goes with my preserved stuff.

Just need plans and no available models!

That is really impressive, I would love to be able to scratch build a coach but I work in 4mm scale and there isn't much not available. Tempted by a pre group coach of some form as long as it goes with my preserved stuff.

Just need plans and no available models!

Read jenkinson's book about it he was the master. He mainly worked in 4mm I think. It is not difficult. If you can cut straight using a ruler then you should be able to build coaches. the roof is the hardest part, but in 4mm you can get them from the likes of Comet.

edited spelling

David Jenkinson worked in 4mm/EM initially but moved to 7mm in the later 1970s. His 'Carriage Modelling Made Easy' is well worth the money for anyone considering building in styrene sheet.

Thanks for that I do not have any of my books here yet, and was working from memory, which I think is getting rusty.

Managed to get a little work done on this today. Nothing was done on this yesterday as my wife was off work.

But today we managed to make the doors, These were done along side the Drivers doors aswell, saves a little time.

The panelling was cut out as before. Then it was decision time. how to glaze them as this would have a bearing on how thick the doors turn out.

In the end I decided to slide it in as with the main windows. I know the edge of the glazing will be visible, but it is well tuck in the vestibule. If it shows to much I will just have to run the paint brush down it.

So with this I used 10 thou for the door front behind the panelling then a piece 30 thou to take the glazing. I then put a bit of 10 thou behind that to stop the glazing falling into the coach. The photo's probably explain it better than I do.

When dry, sanded and trimmed to size they were fitted into the vestibule.

The componant parts, panelling already attached.

post-13601-0-30356900-1335571837_thumb.jpg

All the parts together ready for finishing.

post-13601-0-16645500-1335571953_thumb.jpg

Ready for fitting.

post-13601-0-76913200-1335573017_thumb.jpg

To try and show how the glazing will slot in.

post-13601-0-13971500-1335572808_thumb.jpg

I have got on well since the last posting here.

The solebars and headstocks have been attached to the body so the underframe can also be completed now. The vestibule has also been altered and a false roof has been added.

post-13601-0-29363200-1335744549_thumb.jpg

I have the roof profiled and almost ready for fitting, the ends will relieving underneath at the ends and a little more sanding.

post-13601-0-90003200-1335744609_thumb.jpg

The doors are now fitted in the vestibule. I have trimmed the ends to fit, they just need to be fitted to the to the roof when that is ready. I am not completly happy with the ends, they seem to have warped slightly. But I wll try and rectify before making new.

post-13601-0-58942400-1335744715_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-22913900-1335744413_thumb.jpg

I have cut some 20 thou to fit in the window glazing slots. This is ready for painting. I will start painting the inside in the near future. Then the false roof and roof can be fitted.

post-13601-0-90003200-1335744609_thumb.jpg

This is actually coming along far quicker than I ever expected. Gives me more hope to build some LSWR Ironclads. Does anyone know where to get 9 foot Dreadnaught bogies from?

post-13601-0-36362600-1335744660_thumb.jpg

Not much achieved on this build this week, but I do have some lovely bogies to build and the buffers, for when they are needed.

post-13601-0-88289600-1336091654_thumb.jpg

The bogies will be assembled next time I have my RSU out of the cupboard. I need to get some internal painting done before to much longer.

post-13601-0-80501500-1336091747_thumb.jpg

Coming along nicely Peter.

The distortion in the ned panels might be caused by trapped solvent vapour. I noticed in an earlier posting that the ends seem to have a 'false wall' inside. If that's the case it might be cured by a couple of reeliving holes drilled in the floor?

Regs

Ian

Coming along nicely Peter.

The distortion in the ned panels might be caused by trapped solvent vapour. I noticed in an earlier posting that the ends seem to have a 'false wall' inside. If that's the case it might be cured by a couple of reeliving holes drilled in the floor?

Regs

Ian

I always try and leave vent holes, the ends are still a seperate unit, they will only be fixed when the body is painted. I think the problem is they are 3 layers, middle and panelling were fixed together then a few days later I balanced them with the iner layer. I think I should of done all 3 together. It also nice that it is a slow build as it gives the inside fittings plenty of time to dry out properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking superb Peter.

This is something I'm going to have to learn how to do if I want suitable 7mm coaches for my IOW 02 class to pull. I would love a mixed rake of 54' LBSCR and SECR stock for a Ryde-Cowes service. The LBSC stock is available from Gibson but I've been trying to get some off him for 3 years with no success!...

Keep up the excellent work

Jon F.

Th

Looking superb Peter.

This is something I'm going to have to learn how to do if I want suitable 7mm coaches for my IOW 02 class to pull. I would love a mixed rake of 54' LBSCR and SECR stock for a Ryde-Cowes service. The LBSC stock is available from Gibson but I've been trying to get some off him for 3 years with no success!...

Keep up the excellent work

Jon F.

Thanks Jon.

I would recommend reading David Jenkinson's book. I have copied most of his ways. Are the IOW ones 6 wheel stock? To be honest it is only the panelling that is tediest, a more mordern coach is easier. My next might be some LSWR Ironclads.

First update for quite some time. I have been busy with the house and locos.

So first of all bit of a disaster to start with. The ends have bowed. one more so than the other. These will need remaking, I already have anothere plan inside my head. I just have to get on and get motivated again.

post-13601-0-50990500-1337779491_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-13680700-1337779599_thumb.jpg

On the good side I have assembled the bogies for the carriage, complete with blackened Slaters wheels. They are the Roxey ones, They go together very easily, they are not highly detailed, but will be fine from normal viewing distance, also less bits to break off.

post-13601-0-95857400-1337778970_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-25996700-1337779096_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-47624000-1337779217_thumb.jpg

I need to get on with the underframe now, I just have to decide how to do the queen posts. Once that is done it should be plain sailing with it.

post-13601-0-95857400-1337778970_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-25996700-1337779096_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-47624000-1337779217_thumb.jpg

Th

Thanks Jon.

I would recommend reading David Jenkinson's book. I have copied most of his ways. Are the IOW ones 6 wheel stock? To be honest it is only the panelling that is tediest, a more mordern coach is easier. My next might be some LSWR Ironclads.

No it's the bogie stock that lasted until 1966. There was a mix of LBSCR and SECR stock sent over there over the years as latterly they were the only coaches that would fit the restricted loading gauge.Several have been restored for use on the Isle of Wight Steam railway.

Cheers

Jon F.

No it's the bogie stock that lasted until 1966. There was a mix of LBSCR and SECR stock sent over there over the years as latterly they were the only coaches that would fit the restricted loading gauge.Several have been restored for use on the Isle of Wight Steam railway.

Cheers

Jon F.

You can get some detailed imformation about them then. I found the ones I made in 4mm where easier, but this one has not been to bad.

• RMweb Premium

So first of all bit of a disaster to start with. The ends have bowed. one more so than the other. These will need remaking, I already have anothere plan inside my head. I just have to get on and get motivated again.

Hi Peter,

To prevent plasticard bowing after solvent is applied, you need create a sandwich; If you apply panelling/solvent to BOTH sides, you even up any expansion/contraction stresses created, so the piece should stay flat.

Obviously it doesnt have to be exact, so you don't need to create a perfect identical panelling layer that wont be seen; but something similar should do.

Having said that, I don't know what sort of effect the climate in your part of the world has on plasticard?

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Peter,

To prevent plasticard bowing after solvent is applied, you need create a sandwich; If you apply panelling/solvent to BOTH sides, you even up any expansion/contraction stresses created, so the piece should stay flat.

Obviously it doesnt have to be exact, so you don't need to create a perfect identical panelling layer that wont be seen; but something similar should do.

Having said that, I don't know what sort of effect the climate in your part of the world has on plasticard?

All the best,

Dave.

I did put a balancing piece of card on the back, I think my problem was twofold I did not put the back card on at the same time as the panelling, and I think I should of had some holes in it to help the solvent evaporate.

• 4 weeks later...

After a long break from doing this I have started again. I think the problem was a sllght loss of heart when the ends went wrong. But after a long time of trying to get some suitable white paint over here. Know I have found some I managed to get my mojo back I think.

I sprayed the inside all over white, then I added the colours by hand. The floor I tried to get a greeny blue grey like a Linoleum. The seat ends and lower sides I wanted to look like dark stained painted wood. The upholstery I have done a dark reddish brown as it is third class. I have now just got to touch up the white again and the false rooves will be ready to fit.

post-13601-0-57731600-1340220748_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-34991500-1340220805_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-17865100-1340220888_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-30080800-1340220956_thumb.jpg

I have some small pictures I ought to add the decor. But do I add people? The pull push trains came about because of the lack of people. So I do not want it to look like the 07:30 to Waterloo. But do I want to populate both coaches in the set?

I would put about 3 or 4 people dotted around one coach and maybe one or even none in the other :)

Cheers Harry

I think 3 or 4 is about right. I might see if I make them as just one family and have them as one small group.

Archived