Scanman's stone wharf

scanman

Hi Ian,

It's all looking great :)

Love the idea with the corrugated iron

Doesn't matter a bit if it's not a new idea

... as long as it works well - and certainly seems to

Not sure I'd be allowed and Ferric Chloride in the kitchen...

... then again, she'd say it was my usual standard of cooking ;)

No husbands have been harmed......... yet

Marc

EDIT: That static engine looks great too....

Milled angle is eyewateringly expensive. My local model shop stocks the Albion Alloys range that only includes milled, and not extruded, angle. Accurate but usually unnecessary for most needs. Fortunately Eileen's (and others) do extruded angle, which is about ¼ of the price if memory serves.

Hi Ian,

It's all looking great :)

Love the idea with the corrugated iron

Doesn't matter a bit if it's not a new idea

... as long as it works well - and certainly seems to

Not sure I'd be allowed and Ferric Chloride in the kitchen...

... then again, she'd say it was my usual standard of cooking ;)

No husbands have been harmed......... yet

Marc

EDIT: That static engine looks great too....

Cheers Marc - one of the advantages of the house move was that I got a nice work/layout room complete with sink... I just run plenty of water down the waste when dumping certain fluids!

Milled angle is eyewateringly expensive. My local model shop stocks the Albion Alloys range that only includes milled, and not extruded, angle. Accurate but usually unnecessary for most needs. Fortunately Eileen's (and others) do extruded angle, which is about ¼ of the price if memory serves.

Hi Rich -

Your 'local' isn't the same as mine is it? A certain emporium in Alton? Caroline was saying yesterday the reason they went away from 'KS' metals was the prices had trebled. Annoyingly I needed the brass quickly (comp date is looming) so didn't feel I had time to wait for 'Eileens' . It's also a shame they'll be at 'Scaleforum' - 2 days before closing date!

Regs

Ian

Cheers Marc - one of the advantages of the house move was that I got a nice work/layout room complete with sink......

Ian

Hi Ian,

Lucky you!

I thought when we moved I was getting a layout room....

... but obviously, I hadn't read the small print......

Cheers

Hi Ian,

Lucky you!

I thought when we moved I was getting a layout room....

... but obviously, I hadn't read the small print......

Cheers

Speaking seriously (which is totally against my norm) my wife inherited the house from her father. She grew up in the house & the railway room was actually her mum & dad's bedroom. Zoe won't even come in to see what I'm doing..... (Serious mode off...)

Good job, really! :secret:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian, great to see this progressing. I really like the stationary engine and the effort that you are putting into it. It would have been easy to keep it basic, but the detailing you are adding makes all the difference, I think.

Not since Church St Models opened in Basingstoke.

Hi Rich -

New one on me. Must be worth a look...

Hi Ian, great to see this progressing. I really like the stationary engine and the effort that you are putting into it. It would have been easy to keep it basic, but the detailing you are adding makes all the difference, I think.

Hi Mikkel -

Many thanks for that. I'm starting to wonder, with the deadline approaching at express speed!

Regs

Ian

Last update for a few days - I've got to work on another competition entry. Wish I'd known about the hearty op before the comp started.... Still, nothing too serious - going in for a couple of days to have a pacemaker fitted.

Right, 'sympathy mode' off -on with the build.

the framework covering the saw bay has been built

post-3469-0-21070100-1347447856.jpg

and part-covered in the more 'distressed' corrugated sheet -

post-3469-0-80524300-1347447859.jpg

I s'pose I'd be somewhat distressed if I'd been dipped in acid for 20 mins or so... (I actually got a little in a tiny cut - stings like ...... Thankfully the model-room tap came to my aid!)

MTF as & when

Regs

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

I always use Metalsmiths for angles etc their service and price I feel are good.

It is all looking very impressive.

Hi Pete -

New name to me - I'll look them up on the web.

However, it doesn't look like I'll need any in the foreseeable future. Building 'C' (the one currently under construction) was (hopefully 'is') going to hold some large table saws. Unfortunately the trusty internet has let me down & I cannot find details of a suitable model despite a flurry of e-mails to various museums, companies & individuals. I think I'l spend a couple of days mounting the buildings on a sheet of 'Depron' which can be carved to represent setts etc and which can subsequently be let into the scenic area on the board. I'll weather building 'C' but make it demountable. When I've got the information I need, I can then complete the model.

I think I'll still put it up for the comp tho'.

Regs

Ian

Ian,

Do a Google Image search on 'traction engine wood saw' - there are several examples you could use.

Stu

Stu -

Thanks mate - marvellous what a little lateral thinking can achieve!

I'm in hospital tommorrow for a pacemaker to be fitted under local anaesthetic - be nice to think about how to build the saw whilst they're sawing me!

Regs

Ian

I have watched these portable wood table saws many times at traction engine rallies, always fascinating and no hint of any H&S.

I think H&S ends at the boiler ticket when you step back into the good old times where people knew what was good for them and to keep their hands off! Common sense I think they called it, but one of my Grandfather's favourite lines was that 'sense isn't common'.

• RMweb Premium

Hope things go well tomorrow - I trust it won't be the same sort of saw !

I have watched these portable wood table saws many times at traction engine rallies, always fascinating and no hint of any H&S.

A few years back at one steam fair (might have been the Great Dorset), there was a large reciprocating saw (not a circular saw) on display with a board along side it giving some details of its history. The owners had assumed that it was a wood saw, but it was useless. Somehow or other they found that it was a stone saw, so if you can find some pictures of that type of saw, all it needs is a different blade.

Adrian

Well, here we go to the finish... Despite Stubby's urging I've been unable to complete the saw units - mainly because Monday I was in hospital and Tuesday/Wednesday I was sore! I've also being trying to get another entry to completion (failed there a well!) so this is the last update....

The three models have to go on a base - post-3469-0-51177600-1349046933.jpg

this was cut from 2mm Depron', the building bases marked out and where it will meet the ground work a 'waney' edge was cut so straight lines wouldn't show through.

post-3469-0-55057400-1349046934.jpg

post-3469-0-02314700-1349046936.jpg

Relevant areas were scribed for flags & a cobbled area placed in front of the Masons Shed' as it is presumed carts would stand in this area. The entrie base was then given a wash of various 'stone-type' acrylics. When dry the whole area was given a wash of very diluted black to enhance the flags. 'Depron' has an 'orangepeel' surface which responds well to this form of treatment.

It was obvious from the prototype photos that the masons 'benches' were in fact stone blocks - so some were provided from suitably-painted urethane foam. 'Worked stone' was added to some using 'terracotta' DAS again coloured with acrylic -

post-3469-0-81115700-1349046938.jpg

When I find figures in suitable poses I will add them later.

Access steps to the offices were also made from urethane foam,

post-3469-0-36624100-1349046937.jpg

carved to represent wear and painted.

On to 'final assembly of the scene, adding the features with the use of '#Foam To Foam' adhesive -

post-3469-0-22945600-1349046942.jpg

post-3469-0-87212100-1349046940.jpg

The stationary boiler, suitable rust-stained an in decrepiet condition has been attached to its supports and the saws will go in the flagged area beyond, suitable protected (!) from the elements by the corrugated structure described earlier.

So thats it then. Not finished, but as close as I can get it in the circumstances. I am NOT looking forward to the next project -

post-3469-0-12564000-1349046943.jpg

Tidying the workbench!

Roll on 2013!!

• 7 months later...

I hope, Scanman, you are pleased with your result in the contest. Personally, I would have liked to see you a bit higher in the rankings but, the, we all have our preferences.

I look forward to more posts on this build, before you start the next one!

Jim

Dear Jim/Mikkel

Many thanks for your comments - I've only just seen the results.  Surprised and delighted hardly fits!  My thanks to those who voted me into 5th place - without being modest I felt that  there were others who deserved higher placings than they eventually achieved.

Once again, my thanks.

Regards

Ian - and here's to the next one!

Archived