Bachmann retooled Modified Hall 2012 - What can we expect?

10 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

A 3D printed ATC shoe might work here, to disguise that socket. 

Weren't they fitted behind the "slab" on these though? It's the cross brace on the front bogie that's the issue.

spacer.png

Photo from Wiki - Rob Hodgkins

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Weren't they fitted behind the "slab" on these though? It's the cross brace on the front bogie that's the issue.

spacer.png

Jason

You're probably right Jason.  I'd guess that a replacement bogie without the socket would be OK. After all, Baccy did this with the City. 

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

You mean 'left the DCC Socket in the loco' rather than the tender I think. Agree its a real pain for DCC

It is a pain, but then I can see why Bachmann did it. Short-cut the whole need to develop a new model by using some tooling that was holding up fine and insert the socket for decoder into body thus saving on production costs by not having wires, sockets and connections to the tender. Sell at slightly under price of other new tooled items and get the maximum return. It makes sense in some ways, but the market has quickly moved on and many will want to refit with sound. Bachmann could look like treading water by comparison, if others such as the forthcoming J39 and Ivatt 2 end up the same, which means they are ripe to have yet more items in their range picked off by competition that can get the models to the customer. 

If the model had the socket in the tender for sound fitting. I would have been a guaranteed purchase, literally cost the prototype is a superb bit of kit. Ah well... 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have the previous release fitted with the said Brassmasters kit.I certainly wouldn’t want to replicate the part in question in plasticard. I suppose omitting that hideous front coupling to allow a prototypical appearance would arouse howls of protest and designing and producing for inclusion an accurate alternative would result in the inevitable shock/horror price gripe. A pity as it appears apart from that to be nicely rendered.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

spacer.png

Jason

A rare example of a full size loco in Hornby green.......

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

A rare example of a full size loco in Hornby green.......

Knew that would be Raveningham without seeing the picture..... :P

• Like 1

This arrived at the depot this evening - presumably ready for a railtour duty tomorrow.

The shed master was very complimentary about the shade of green, and I have to agree it looks very good.

The air turned blue though when the fitters attempted to connect the tender to the loco. It's the old design of a metal bar with a small peg under the tender for it to engage with. The coupling bar is very loose at the loco end so a right fiddle to get it to engage and then turn the whole lot upright again without it letting go again.  Seems Ok once on the track though.

Shiny motion looks good. It's a sort of brushed steel effect rather than the chrome painted approach from years ago.

I was hoping to have a pair of these to run as a double header, so quietly hoping that Burton Agnes Hall comes with the same finish.

6990_1.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I have the previous release fitted with the said Brassmasters kit.I certainly wouldn’t want to replicate the part in question in plasticard. I suppose omitting that hideous front coupling to allow a prototypical appearance would arouse howls of protest and designing and producing for inclusion an accurate alternative would result in the inevitable shock/horror price gripe. A pity as it appears apart from that to be nicely rendered.

Only £10 for the complete Brassmaster fret including the front stretcher for the bogie. Cheaper than a set of etched plates. Mind you if I was doing that I’d change the bogie wheels at the same time - where do you stop lol?

6 hours ago, Hastings Thumper said:

This arrived at the depot this evening - presumably ready for a railtour duty tomorrow.

The shed master was very complimentary about the shade of green, and I have to agree it looks very good.

The air turned blue though when the fitters attempted to connect the tender to the loco. It's the old design of a metal bar with a small peg under the tender for it to engage with. The coupling bar is very loose at the loco end so a right fiddle to get it to engage and then turn the whole lot upright again without it letting go again.  Seems Ok once on the track though.

Shiny motion looks good. It's a sort of brushed steel effect rather than the chrome painted approach from years ago.

I was hoping to have a pair of these to run as a double header, so quietly hoping that Burton Agnes Hall comes with the same finish.

6990_1.jpeg

it is probably just me and I do respect other's opinion to differ, but that motion looks dreadful to my eye. Takes me back to the Hornby-Triang models of the early 1970's which I started with! (I still have and love them but models and everything else in life is a world away now).

Not over impressed to learn about the DDC socket and tender draw bar arrangements either TBH.

I have Burton Agnes Hall on order though will seriously think of returning it if it arrives like this (motion).

I might consider chemically blackening - or might not bother at all which would be a shame, especially given that I live not far from the real Burton Agnes Hall!

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Opelsi said:

it is probably just me and I do respect other's opinion to differ, but that motion looks dreadful to my eye. Takes me back to the Hornby-Triang models of the early 1970's which I started with! (I still have and love them but models and everything else in life is a world away now).

Not over impressed to learn about the DDC socket and tender draw bar arrangements either TBH.

I have Burton Agnes Hall on order though will seriously think of returning it if it arrives like this (motion).

I might consider chemically blackening - or might not bother at all which would be a shame, especially given that I live not far from the real Burton Agnes Hall!

To be honest neither the shiny finish of the usual rods nor this painted finish look much like the prototype. If it’s like most painted it will be easy to remove (Bachmann weathering just rubs off the rods in my experience of the 9f and Super D). I’m interested in 6998 for pretty similar reasons to you and all the preproduction info suggests it will have the normal Bachmann unpainted rods in any case :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

You mean 'left the DCC Socket in the loco' rather than the tender I think. Agree its a real pain for DCC

One thing I found on the previous incarnation of the Modified Hall was that to fit DCC required removing a lead weight which made a distinct adverse effect on its performance.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

One thing I found on the previous incarnation of the Modified Hall was that to fit DCC required removing a lead weight which made a distinct adverse effect on its performance.

Thanks - I managed to get a small DCC Concepts chip in by cutting out the 8 pin socket and hard wiring. I am very reluctant to remove weight generally, learnt that the hard way with an Bachmann Crab.  Maybe a missed opportunity for Bachmann with the Hall - there is  definitely a hole in the market for a definitive model to current expected standards. 

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Opelsi said:

It's correct for the locomotive though. It's in it's preserved state.

Looks a lot better in the photo on the Kernow website. The one on the layout.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/70445/31-785-WSL-Bachmann-Modified-Hall-Loco-6990-Witherslack-Hall

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
On 15/05/2021 at 19:28, robertcwp said:

Yes, mine arrived today. The front end has been sorted out but I was surprised to see bright, shiny, silver coupling and connecting rods and slidebars.

Thats the norm on all Bachmann releases these days - basically they have cut costs by not having the motion parts chemically blackened.

The end result is a throwback to the 1980s when models were a lot more basic and such things were the norm.

Its a shame - because even preserved locos don't have shiny tinplate / chrome looking rods! Cleaning them with Paraffin and the lubricating oils used to stop the motion seizing up means it is always slightly discoloured so to speak.

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, phil-b259 said:

Thats the norm on all Bachmann releases these days - basically they have cut costs by not having the motion parts chemically blackened.

The end result is a throwback to the 1980s when models were a lot more basic and such things were the norm.

Its a shame - because even preserved locos don't have shiny tinplate / chrome looking rods! Cleaning them with Paraffin and the lubricating oils used to stop the motion seizing up means it is always slightly discoloured so to speak.

Nope. The other version has chemically blackened rods.

I've posted it three times now,  It's in preserved condition as it is currently.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

On 19/05/2021 at 13:55, phil-b259 said:

On 19/05/2021 at 13:59, Steamport Southport said:

Nope. The other version has chemically blackened rods.

I've posted it three times now,  It's in preserved condition as it is currently.

As Jason says, the shiny rods on the one loco are purely to represent it's preserved shiny condition. I saw both models side by side and the "other" one has the normal black or dark grey rods.

In my view Bachmann should be applauded, even though I personally wouldn't buy it. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/05/2021 at 09:51, Clearwater said:

The loco (excluding tender) without the weight weighs 253g.  The weight itself, which I have removed prior to DCC fitting is 17g. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I have added a small piece of plasticard immediately below the coupling socket, to try and replicate the plate frame.

It is very slightly forward of its correct position, but it has avoided making irreversible changes to the bogie. As I don’t normally see my locos head on it will suffice for my purposes.

EFA3158C-3A4C-4605-99E9-488C639DDE74.jpeg

E2CED9C2-599F-4B3C-BCB0-071C1C975DBF.jpeg

Edited by PMP99
Photo added
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I need help regarding the loco to tender coupling, has anyone come up with better system than the chrome metal connector with the two holes in to connect to the tender?

On my model the tender pin is so small the coupling keeps coming adrift Help.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, TerryBewdley said:

I need help regarding the loco to tender coupling, has anyone come up with better system than the chrome metal connector with the two holes in to connect to the tender?

On my model the tender pin is so small the coupling keeps coming adrift Help.

I bent the connector upwards a little and it solved the problem. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe Bachmann could be persuaded to move on from this by now outdated arrangement.I have found it a nuisance on many occasions. But in the present circumstances I suppose we’re fortunate to receive anything at all.

But I note elsewhere on the Bachmann thread that the new release 150 dmu does have an upgraded coupling system so maybe it’ll be a case of great oaks from little acorns grow. We shall see…well at the rate things go….some of us will see. :this:

• Like 1