Canal barge and lift/lock?

BlackRat

Well having had a long think, I still cant make my mind up what to do!

Prob not rolling stock as I would like something to run after.

I did think about another 7mm clay hood as still got a few to do.

Possibly a building or something else, scenic or whatever, just cant make my mind up!

Any suggestions (clean and lawful please!!). :)

• RMweb Gold

How about something from IKB's atmospheric railway? It would have all the charm of a venerable structure, some of it is still extant so reseach is fun, and it could then form a piece of high-profile lineside scenery for a working model set in any era you like.

• RMweb Gold

How about something from IKB's atmospheric railway? It would have all the charm of a venerable structure, some of it is still extant so reseach is fun, and it could then form a piece of high-profile lineside scenery for a working model set in any era you like.

Ooh, yes, how about the pump house at Starcross ?

• RMweb Premium

Great idea, as long as it doesnt have to work!

There were quite a few canals in Cornwall, I see perhaps a lift on the Caradon canal on an imaginary part of the moor.........

There were some interesting boat lifts on the Bude canal.

Adrian

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Right, now the innovation challenge is done, it's time to have a look at this one.

First thing to do, is a bit of research, and I think I am going to need a boat/barge/vessel of some description.

As it's a scratchbuild challenge, that's something to get started on first, I think.

• RMweb Gold

You could download the Scalescenes narrow boat kit, at least that way you can print a number of them off.

I looked into this a while ago now, if you send an email to the visitor centre they normally come back with some good information.

Cheers

Ian

A quick search through numerous 'spares' box files revealed the following delights..............!

post-7061-0-41826600-1341998189_thumb.jpg

A sheet of platicard, some Lego bricks (useful for spacers and all sorts!) some suitable shippy bits and some Knightwing bits and bobs.

I will rough out a plan after watching Locks and Keys, which is on as I type this!

Handy research :)

The general 'idea' is to cut out an upper and lower 'deck' from the plastic sheet. The top deck is then planked by scribing it with a 'scrawker' with various bolts and screw detail added by drilling small holes in the end of each 'plank'.

The Lego bricks act as ideal spacers, and form a 'key' to allow plasticard sides to be glued on.

Rubbing strakes (I think!) are then added using various strips of plastic etc till it looks about right. (to me).

A superstructure (hardly) is then made and bits added and taken away till again, to me it looks about right.

In true Blue Peter fashion..................

post-7061-0-23197800-1341999703_thumb.jpg

Here are two I made earlier for an older layout.

It gives the general idea anyway of what I am trying to achieve but I think this one, with the lift (if I get round to it) or lock will need to be a bit smaller!

Trying to get going here after another busy late shift and trying to get to sleep at 0100 still 'buzzing'! :lazy:

Still several cups of tea (the first duly supplied by Mrs BR at 07:30!) later and I have roughed (very roughed) out a few ideas.

post-7061-0-79664300-1342087947_thumb.jpg

You can see the outline of the barge on top, and a 'narrow boat' underneath.

I think I may well go for the narrow boat, as with a max width of approx 6'10" to a tad over 7' it will make the whole build a bit more manageable.

I may well go for a length of between 50' and 60', again to make things a little bit easier!

Cheating?

Probably! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry there's been no recent update, will add more next week!

Hi

If you are looking for scale plans for your boat / boats then Lawrance Hogg has a significant number of original plans that he has reproduced and sells at a 'reasonable' price. Typically boats built by Yarwoods of Northwich and Harland and Wolff (A lot of Fellows Morton and Clayton boats as well as boats for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company. He also has plans of wooden boats build by Walkers of Rickmondsworth that built a lot of boats for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company and these went on to private carrying ownership with some pretty intresting liveries such as the Oveltine boats. His collection also includes early BR boats as well as BCN tugs. You will find Laurance easily through Google and his list of plans. There are a few books that have general arrangement plans but they are not always accurate - there is a plan of a Walker Brothers Star Class Motor boat (A small Ricky) that I have seen in a few publications and was even sent to me as a plan from the Elesmere boat museum but I have since discovered errors. One of the difficulties building in plastic is the way the bow curves around and under and at the rear where the hull narrows below the waterline to the prop

Does the model have a location or doesn't it matter ?

I have quite a bit on canal boats and colours let me know if I can help?

Andy

Thanks Andy for a wealth of information! Knowing me I will spend more time now looking, rather than building!

Re the curve under at the bow/stern, I was intending to do it as a waterline model, low down in the water to avoid this. BUT......would this have been the case with a laden boat?

Archived