Shake, rattle and blow! It's FINISHED! :)

BlackRat

• 1 month later...

Without blowing the cover of your innovative idea, & witnessing the tests today at Taunton, I can predict that not only will there be a large take-up by railway modellers, but also the possibility that their bored wives & girlfriends taking a sudden unexplained interest in the hobby! It was a pleasure meeting you today, from the guy with the oversized tea mug!

Cheers,

Rob ( Westcountryman)

• 3 weeks later...

Well here it is, almost.................

I got the idea whilst watching some builders laying a block patio (you know, those little brick things) at a neighbours, and how they used a 'plate vibrator' to tamp and level the sand into the cracks between the bricks.

So, I got to wondering if something similar, but on a much smaller scale, could be use to assist in ballasting...............

This is what I came up with :)

post-7061-0-73868400-1337252112.jpg

Here's the basic ingredients, a ball deodorant (armpits just wont do :) ) a selection of motors, grommets, wire and some bits from a chocolate block connector.

post-7061-0-23067200-1337252122.jpg

The deodrant is brokn down into its component parts..............very easy to do and your hands smell greta!

post-7061-0-55169200-1337252132.jpg

A hole is drilled in the bottom big enough to take two wires..........

post-7061-0-16515900-1337252146.jpg

And the ball part cut in two with a razor saw........

post-7061-0-79853500-1337252156.jpg

Select a suitable connector, which will act as an 'oscillator' to the device, ie it makes it 'vibrate' :) !!

post-7061-0-07879200-1337252168.jpg

and the motor is fitted into the body of the smelly. The 'collar' to the deodorant is quite soft, and a push fit is easily achieved...........

post-7061-0-69579700-1337252176.jpg

the half ball is the glued over the motor and whizzzzy bit...........

post-7061-0-98340200-1337252188.jpg

and the cap glued back into place............

post-7061-0-51227100-1337252197.jpg

and here's one that I made earlier, and 'field tested' at the Taunton get together recently.

And YES, it DOES work, tho I only took a 9v battery, which didn't really give the 18v motor enough 'kick'.

BUT.........further testing at home reveals it works a treat, so there :) :)

I think it might work better, without the ball on, the ball was acting initially as the outer, but the 'flat top' of the cap works better on the rails.

It might be even better, with a piece of plasticard glued on, with say 16.5mm (or 18 etc) size grooves cut into the top, so it fits snugly over the rail tops.

Anyhow, you get the idea, and I hope you like it.

If nothing else, it gave us all a laugh at Taunton, and IT DOES work! :)

I think someone has beaten you to it. I recall seeing a video on YouTube of a German guy using his girlfriend's vibrator to help with ballasting. The pics were somewhat X rated, so your machine is much more acceptable for families...... :D

Right - now come up with something to apply the glue - but only in the right places (a sort of jacker-squirter' perhaps' (for those who know of the jacker-packer).

Now you are just going to make it completely obscene! In summary it vibrates up and down your track then sprays white glue everywhere..........

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO caught me looking at her roll-on deoderant...

"What are you doing ?"

"Oh, I want to make a vibrator out of it, for..." WALLOP !!

"But it's for my model railw..." WALLOP !!

Guest Max Stafford

Of course mate, we want to see this project brought to a successful climax...

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay but I haven't been sitting here doing nowt!

Been doing a bit of tweaking! Fiddling! and of course field testing! (NO! NOT testing it out in a field!!).

I have added a couple of guides (this gets worse!), ..........and by that I mean something to hold the Rail Rabbit to gauge.

Call them rabbit 'ears' if you like.

Adjust for P4, EM, OO, HO etc, you get the drift! :)

So if a piccy paints a thousand words...............

post-7061-0-28257400-1341918037_thumb.jpg

Yer tiz!

Yup it DOES work, and hopefully it IS innovative.

Hope you enjoyed the thread, its been a bit of fun and well worthy of international recognition and a huge marketing campaign.

After all...................it worked for Miss Summers! ;)

Archived