Bachmann Metropolitan loco new for 2012

mozzer models

• 2 months later...

Jon has probably long since answered his own question, but yes it is.

I've picked up the set and a pannier split from one as my first foray into LT modelling. Reading the web I thought the brakevan would need roller bearings added, but the pictures on plumbloco show normal boxes so that's one less job. I'm hoping to persuade my LMS to split another set in which case i will get another van for re-numbering. The three plank is a disappointment but OK if you squint (a lot).

Are there drawings for the GP bogie opens? The Radley ones show as not available and they don't look like too complex a scratchbuild (famous last words!)

• RMweb Gold

A lot of sets are being broken up, I wish I had bought several 3 plank wagons from the sets when Trains4U but I dithered and when I decided, they had gone. So, "if you snooze, you loose" lol.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

Well, lets all wait for the Bachmann S Stock to arrive next year. If it is a big hitter, and I mean "if", hopefully Bachmann or Hornby might take the plunge and do more. Even the model railway press are hinting that the big manufactures maybe starting to run out of new ideas.

Julian Sprott

Well, lets all wait for the Bachmann S Stock to arrive next year. If it is a big hitter, and I mean "if", hopefully Bachmann or Hornby might take the plunge and do more. Even the model railway press are hinting that the big manufactures maybe starting to run out of new ideas.

Julian Sprott

Have I missed something? Are Bachmann doing S stock? How did I miss this!

• RMweb Gold

According to John Polley from Metromodels, it's Bachmann's worst kept secret. They got a set of drawings from Bombardier and working closely with them. I spoke to a Bachmann rep earlier this month and though he refused to comment, he had a sly grin on his face.

I expect they will come out as a 4-car set but hopefully, extra cars will made available to make a full 7 or 8 car set if wanted.

Julian Sprott

I believe it is true. I was recently told, without me asking, that Bachmann have been to Neasden to look at S Stock. The economics/number of potential customers look better than anything other than O/P/Q stock which was the last type that ran simultaneously on the three ( four if you include the Hammersmith & City ) surface lines.

It's a pity that like so much modern suburban EMU stock it's just a glorified tram at heart, reminding me of 1960s articulated trams in Amsterdam. Totally unsuited for high speed running to destinations beyond Harrow. Stand i nthe connection between carriages at your peril! Mind you, the same can be said for the Overground stock.

I recently travelled from Kings Cross to Pinner on S Stock, and it was the slowest, most uncomfortable ride that I've ever had on the Met, and I had a seat. Definitely a case of never mind the comfort feel the passenger number per car. Please don't let it last 50 years.

Come back A60/62 Stock with its 70mph top speed, All Is Forgiven, even the bumps over the pointwork at Neasden!

Although I am no LT expert S Stock seems like an excellent commercial idea to me. Given the likely longevity of the tooling, and the use of S Stock on lines which give potential interaction with surface stock (engineering 66s etc) I can see why it would appeal.

Not a comment on its merits in real life - only used it once so not qualified to comment.

I believe it is true. I was recently told, without me asking, that Bachmann have been to Neasden to look at S Stock. The economics/number of potential customers look better than anything other than O/P/Q stock which was the last type that ran simultaneously on the three ( four if you include the Hammersmith & City ) surface lines.

It's a pity that like so much modern suburban EMU stock it's just a glorified tram at heart, reminding me of 1960s articulated trams in Amsterdam. Totally unsuited for high speed running to destinations beyond Harrow. Stand i nthe connection between carriages at your peril! Mind you, the same can be said for the Overground stock.

I recently travelled from Kings Cross to Pinner on S Stock, and it was the slowest, most uncomfortable ride that I've ever had on the Met, and I had a seat. Definitely a case of never mind the comfort feel the passenger number per car. Please don't let it last 50 years.

Come back A60/62 Stock with its 70mph top speed, All Is Forgiven, even the bumps over the pointwork at Neasden!

I am not a fan of the S Stock however their performance was deliberately reduced so that they would behave like A Stock to reduce issues with time tabling etc. I traveled to the Farewell to the A Stock trip on S Stock and noticed how the slow it was and asked my of my informed colleagues why this was.

S stock at Croxley Wiggenhall Road Depot? Only after the A stock, which I currently do not have has been withdrawn!!

XF

Nigel,

A Stock was designed to do 70 mph and frequently did until LT's financial troubles in the 1980s and issues with cracked rails and other issues with the track condition meant that LT imposed the 50 mph limit. That is still in force, but A stock, even 51 year old A Stock was still capable of 70. If there have been any constraints imposed on S Stock to accommodate A Stock when the ywere running together, that is much more likely to be over acceleration rates and headway.

To my mind the whole S design in intended for Central London where distances between stations are shorter, top speeds lower, and number of passengers they can cram in is more imprtant than seating capacity because no one will be there long enough to matter.

• 2 months later...

Archived