Presflo Wagons

JeremyC

Halling near Southampton

Sort of, relative to the Humber, yes. Halling is rather nearer Rochester however. ;)

It was also, I believe, an APCM works* (latterly Cemex in this case) rather than Rugby Cement, though my evidence for this relies on a quick Google.

Adam

*Assuming that there was only a single works of course...

Sort of, relative to the Humber, yes. Halling is rather nearer Rochester however. ;)

It was also, I believe, an APCM works* (latterly Cemex in this case) rather than Rugby Cement, though my evidence for this relies on a quick Google.

Adam

*Assuming that there was only a single works of course...

Halling was Rugby, and the last Rugby works to send out cement by rail, to Greenford in West London. It was between Cuxton and Halling.

APCM had a plant a bit further towards Maidstone, at Holborough- this was between Halling and Snodland.

I might have been thinking of Swaythling, where they make that other icon, the Transit. There's a connection, in my head... ;)

Possibly you had in mind the distribution depot at Bevois Park, just down the hill from Swaythling (and, as it happens from where I type this), which the colour scheme suggests was a Rugby site. Now gone of course, as has most of the associated yard, which is gradually being turned over to housing. W're not sure how long the ransit plant will be there either at the present time.

http://linesidephotosthebrera.fotopic.net/p42207265.html

Nice rake of Shockhoods (what did they become? Dace was it?) and rebodied Lamphrey too.

Adam

Possibly you had in mind the distribution depot at Bevois Park, just down the hill from Swaythling (and, as it happens from where I type this), which the colour scheme suggests was a Rugby site. Now gone of course, as has most of the associated yard, which is gradually being turned over to housing. W're not sure how long the ransit plant will be there either at the present time.

http://linesidephotosthebrera.fotopic.net/p42207265.html

Nice rake of Shockhoods (what did they become? Dace was it?) and rebodied Lamphrey too.

Adam

Bevois was Tunnel, according to my 'Baker' from the mid-1980s- Rugby and Blue Circle were at Northam, which is where the Siemens depot is now, I believe.

Shochoods did become Dace- a few years earlier, Paul Bartlett has photos of them in revenue use at Bevois Park with copper ingots on board. Were these destined for the Pirelli plant by the docks, I wonder?

Bevois was Tunnel, according to my 'Baker' from the mid-1980s- Rugby and Blue Circle were at Northam, which is where the Siemens depot is now, I believe.

Shochoods did become Dace- a few years earlier, Paul Bartlett has photos of them in revenue use at Bevois Park with copper ingots on board. Were these destined for the Pirelli plant by the docks, I wonder?

Not being a native of Southampton and having only lived here for three years I wouldn't claim to know (hence taking a guess on the colour of the silo!), but I think you're correct with the site of Northam yard . You mean this one?

http://www.gallery6801.fotopic.net/p724101.html

Pirelli is certainly possible, and Bevois Park would be a likely tranship point by that time though there's no shortage of industry in Soton that might, at one time, have had a use for copper ingots. Sorry, this is going a bit off topic!

Adam

Not being a native of Southampton and having only lived here for three years I wouldn't claim to know (hence taking a guess on the colour of the silo!), but I think you're correct with the site of Northam yard . You mean this one?

http://www.gallery6801.fotopic.net/p724101.html

Pirelli is certainly possible, and Bevois Park would be a likely tranship point by that time though there's no shortage of indstry in Soton that might, at one time, have had a use for copper ingots. Sorry, this is going a bit off topic!

Adam

Not that far off-topic- there's Presflos in the background....

Slightly off-thread but ShocHood B & DACE - now's there's a kit that Parkside should do - anybody know how to let that nice Scottish Gent know ?? :)

They'd have to tool up a new underframe. However, I think said underframe is the same one that a certain other manufacturer, and occasional contributor here, uses for his MDV kit. I think I've already suggested this to him- would someone else like a go?

They'd have to tool up a new underframe. However, I think said underframe is the same one that a certain other manufacturer, and occasional contributor here, uses for his MDV kit. I think I've already suggested this to him- would someone else like a go?

Only similar Brian (as I've recently discovered...). Wheelbase and axleguards, etc. are the same but the Vees and other brake details are rather different - even to the 1/119 which had the same twin cylinder and changeover lever arrangement. Obviously, there are the SAB bits on the Chivers underframe. Parkside already have the solebars with the right shaped Vees in the right place, but since it came from the 21 ton hopper, long link brake gear. If all this sounds too detailed for idle speculation, that's because I had the same thought!

Adam

I don't have the picture availble to post as it's with our printers, but in the March Steam World magazine (out on Feb 19) - sorry for the plug, not intended - there will be a picture (colour) of '9F' 92042 at Hadley Wood on 16/4/60 an up mixed freight with six bright yellow, slightly work-stained, Presflo wagons, all coupled together. They are not close-up in shot, but are clearly visible, behind the first five vehicles (4w box vans). Hope this helps. (the other vans and 9F are filthy, of course). Mel

There is also a B&W shot in Western Region Diesel Hydaulics (Bradford Barton) p27 of 'Druid' hauling a train of presflos in Blue Circle livery and they would appear to be yellow, but I am open to correction if anybody else has a copy to hand :)

• 1 month later...

These wagons must have been around when Paul Bartlett was in short trousers, as there aren't any photos on his site... Hornby-Dublo obviously thought such things existed, however, as their S-D range included a Presflo branded 'SALT' in ICI's distinctive dark greeny-blue (though I can't remember if it carried ICI ownership details)

I have a feeling I may have something in the 'archive', but it'll have to wait until tomorrow as I'm off to bed (up at 04:20 tomorrow)

I've had a crack at hacking a perfectly good wagon into a twin silo variety for salt use in the blog - http://www.rmweb.co....n-silo-presflo/

Pres5.jpg

I'm still after any snaps in salt livery if anyone can point the way!

The bulk salt Presflo certainly existed outside of the Binns Road factory; the Dublo version carried the proper branding whereas Tri-ang's TT version, though the correct colour, did not. Paul Bartlett does have some pics (http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c121408.html), but none in ICI transport blue as the main traffic they were built for (operating out of ICI Stoke Prior near Droitwich Spa) ended in 1964, and Stoke Works itself went over to polymer manufacture in 1972.

David

Hi Andy

The old BR/OPC photo collection had at least a couple of b/w pics of B888094, one of the standard Presflos to be painted in ICI 'BULK SALT' livery. The prints are undated but are thought to have been taken circa 1956 at Over & Wharton. The wagon is lettered 'EMPTY TO WINSFORD &/OVER (C.L.C.)', which was the branding on most of the 20 standard Presflos initially allocated to salt traffic.

When the first batch of twenty purpose-built bulk salt Presflos were delivered 14 had the same branding while the other were lettered for return empty to Runcorn. As noted above the traffic lasted until 1964. Do we know what ICI used the stuff for at Stoke Prior?

David R

Hi Andy

The old BR/OPC photo collection had at least a couple of b/w pics of B888094, one of the standard Presflos to be painted in ICI 'BULK SALT' livery. The prints are undated but are thought to have been taken circa 1956 at Over & Wharton. The wagon is lettered 'EMPTY TO WINSFORD &/OVER (C.L.C.)', which was the branding on most of the 20 standard Presflos initially allocated to salt traffic.

When the first batch of twenty purpose-built bulk salt Presflos were delivered 14 had the same branding while the other were lettered for return empty to Runcorn. As noted above the traffic lasted until 1964. Do we know what ICI used the stuff for at Stoke Prior?

David R

Is it possible that the wagons were actually used for salt traffic from Stoke Prior? I recollect that there was salt extraction in the area around Droitwich, though I'm not sure when it ceased.

If working from Stoke Prior why brand them for return to Cheshire. By the way do we know what is the source for them ever working to/from Stoke Prior??

David R

I'm merely quoting from the comments about the real-life wagons in Michael Foster's HD book; apologies if any errors have been passed on. I think the Stoke Prior flow may have been to the Avonmouth area (where ICI and successors had sizeable chemical plants; impure salt is an important raw material for umpteen chlorine-based chemicals). It may well have been that the fleet was split between that run and working in the Cheshire salt fields.

David

I'm merely quoting from the comments about the real-life wagons in Michael Foster's HD book; apologies if any errors have been passed on. I think the Stoke Prior flow may have been to the Avonmouth area (where ICI and successors had sizeable chemical plants; impure salt is an important raw material for umpteen chlorine-based chemicals). It may well have been that the fleet was split between that run and working in the Cheshire salt fields.

David

Hi David

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Michael Foster book you refer to. Do you know if it contain photographs of the wagons at Stoke Prior?

David R

Archived