Art Deco Garage / car dealership - 1:43ish

I'd recommend using two layers of foamboard, with spacers inbetween, in a sandwich formation. I've found that when using only one 5mm layer the base warps, but with two it's far more stable.

Stu

so like a stud wall then?

is foamboard suitable for the spacers?

I was intending that the diorama wasn't fixed to the shelf but was just placed on top, the building will slip into a cut in the foam board so that I can change the cars inside the dealership without damaging the building.

Well, having acquired more foam board (meeting Rolf Harris in the process since he was in the art shop buying ink at the time) I have built the base and back scene, which now needs spraying / painting / PECOing or however I'm going to do it.

in order to get a better idea of what things will look like I have taken the digital artwork and am working on a mock up of the dealership and have produced the tower ready to start build the wings

post-10525-0-94442100-1332614472_thumb.jpg

Think the tower might need to be taller, probably give the clock a bit more height but not the rest of the building?

That's all for now :)

Hi Black Sheep

I like the concept of your model and also the way in which you are going about the job.

It should be a unique and very beautiful model when finished.

Once finished and installed on the shelf you shouldn't have too much bother with those taxi's, or? :-)

I wish you well with the construction and look forward to the next update.

John

• 2 weeks later...

A small update,

I've printed the elevation view to work to and started constructing a cardboard mock up in order to see how the dealership looks in 3D, it's a bit deeper than I envisioned, so that might be altered but gives a good idea.

I can fit four cars in the showroom side squashed in a bit, or 3 larger cars with adequate space around them.

picking which cars might take some time, but the idea is to be able to swap them around.

I might do away with the service bays (none of my cars have opening bonnets etc) and have both 'wings' as dealership on the premise that the service bays are round the back or side of the building.

post-10525-0-86599900-1333395287_thumb.jpg

the small strip of foarmboard (if you can even see it!) is to represent where the kerb is.

• RMweb Premium

I meant to post this earlier. Our local Blockbuster is in a 1930s former garage/motorcycle showroom on a corner site, with a clock tower; it looks very similar to one half of your design. It was once the site of Alec Bennett Ltd; he was a well known pre-war racing motorcyclist

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=portswood+blockbuster&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7_____en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=1BJ6T96HA6rD0QXC34G9DQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CCAQ_AUoAg

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another candidate, which is still a car dealers, is Rootes in Maidstone.

Good call, an impressive building and no mistake!

http://maps.google.c...12,22.5,,0,5.21

EDIT: and the site linked below has listings of art deco buildings around London, including a section on garages, might be worth checking a few out via Streetview:-

http://www.london-footprints.co.uk/artdecobldgs.htm

• 2 months later...

Right, well, a small amount of progress, Peco back scenes have been fitted to give a bit of skyline behind the building and the front wall of the tower has been cut from foam board, so hoping to finish this by the end of August,

hope I'm still in time for the competition deadline...

As promised, photo updates:

post-10525-0-52798000-1342724838_thumb.jpg

Backscene attached, not made the best job of joining the backscene but I'll make good later as it's too late now.

as you can see, not much progress from earlier except...

post-10525-0-42872900-1342725075_thumb.jpg

Left hand 'effort' and attempt at cutting a 5mm wide window 5mm from the edge of the foam board,

problem sorted by cutting it into the edge of the section and then fixing between the side walls

more foam board bought today, so might get a bit more done, however at a wedding this weekend so perhaps not.

• 2 months later...

Well, the plan was to move house, strip some wall paper off and splash some paint around before getting back to modeling,

however, we've had carpets and floors up, complete re-wire and yet to have the plumber visit. The roof is back on the modeling room, just waiting for the lead flashing to be fitted but much more to sort yet before I can get back to it.

I will finish (and update) in due time.

sorry

• 2 years later...

I think doing a bigger diorama is a brilliant idea, the cars etc have much better detailing, so the finished pictures will have much more impact. Look for ward to seeing this progress.

Well, the plan was to move house, strip some wall paper off and splash some paint around before getting back to modeling,

however, we've had carpets and floors up, complete re-wire and yet to have the plumber visit. The roof is back on the modeling room, just waiting for the lead flashing to be fitted but much more to sort yet before I can get back to it.

I will finish (and update) in due time.
sorry

No need to be sorry, in the fullness of time you will have a better place to mode, therefore you will do more modelling, and we will see the results....bonus.

Archived