Buckland Warehouses

Already documented is my future magnum opus, Coombe Barton which is based on Ashburton. Always associated with this branch was the Totnes Quay line with its horse drawn end on The Plains at Totnes. This, in the guise of Buckland Hard,is more of a parvum opus. It appears to have developed a bit of life on its own as the baseboards have been built (but very little else). It was only planned to be a test track.

Now before anyone says anything, magnum is a little bit of an exaggeration, and maybe parvum should be minimum, as neither of them are very magnum at all, but there's a lot of opus, even so. But there'd be lo lot less opus to go if I were motivated to get started and off my @rse. (but I said that it was horse drawn at times).

So for this challenge I'm at least going to try to get the warehouses built. We visited the area last summer and posted some pix. Then Alan (BRealistc) came up with the pix he'd taken at the time when he got the buildings listed.(post 22 onwards) and the model he made some years ago. This is the respource I'm using.

So the warehouses at Buckland Hard:

• Have yet to be designed, although the prototype location will naturally heavily influence
  • Will use Scalescenes materials
  • Will hopefully benefit from the input of Chubber in his contributions here.
  • Be subject to the input of my resident buildings expert.

Let battle commence! (but only after another mug of coffee and a non Tunnocks teacake)

Right - so my @rse has been in gear for long enough to sort out what I've bought from Scalescenes over the past couple of years. I can't use any of the kits - not allowed in the rules , of course - but the stone and brick papers wil be used. Also resurrecting a CAD program to plot the whole thing out.

Have the ideas, the tools, the airbrush, the varnish - now to find the time.

*Nice* set of buildings - are you going to model them 'pre-modernisation' (i hope!)? Looking at your materials list - do you think 'Calescenes' will give you the finish effect you need? there's quite a deliniation in the stonework.

Regs

Ian

Hi John -

Interested to see the result of this approach - I need to re-create similar stonework for my entry, but I;m thinking 'Depron Foam', scribed. Have fun with it anyway . Dont you just *love* buildings - far more interesting than rolling stock!

Regs

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Dateline 31st March 2012. Checklist:

• Shopping done
  • Term's over
  • SWMBO OK

So a little work on the CAD program to start laying out the warehouses. Do it quite quickly.

However

• Printer and CAD program don't want to talk to each other in the same language - like I want things on ONE piece of paper not the four that is coming out.
  • So get that sorted and only get half a drawing.
  • So I get that sorted out and now we have a "one sheet on PC, one on printer" situation.
  • So get drawing
  • And save the file
  • And the PC hangs as it's trying to do a update on something else without telling me.
  • Save and reboot
  • And find that the settigs are now back to four pieces of printed paper!
  • Reset to situation an hour ago.
  • Find that as the update mentioned above was interrupted it's started again.
  • Wait until it's completed this time
  • Twiddle thumbs
  • Keep twiddling thumbs
  • Start again
  • Repeat reset to get printing on one page
  • Print
  • Edit
  • Print
  • Edit
  • Print
  • Edit
  • Result - a load of paper not quite right
  • Continue
  • Edit
  • Print
  • Edit
  • Print

Dateline eight hours later

• SWMBO says - "Why don't you just draw it out/"
  • Steam comes out of ears

Dateline another two hours later

• Me: Agree with SWMBO
  • Have cider
  • Get happier

Dateline 1st April 2012

• Find drafting kit (not difficult)
  • Having started doing it by hand, have mockup done
  • Now scaling off photos for critical dimensions
  • SWMBO - "Why didn't you do it that way in the first place?"

Doncha just luuuv 'windows update'. NOT!

I have to agree tho John that CAD is the way to go - at least you can make multiple copies, save the result, alter the result as required. Eventually!

Regs

Ian

So what are we heading for?

The only pic at the moment would be a load of pencils, rulers, a divider, calculator and photos.

To best describe it, see BRealistic's pic in post 29 of http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/45430-totnes-quay-warehouses-gentrified/page__st__25#

But one storey higher. (I need the height for the realisation of the model)

It won't be quite as tatty as this as the date is a little earlier (about 20 years) than the time they were listed. But the combination of temporarry structures, corrugated iron, lean tos, broken windows, and general run down-ness

• 1 month later...

So nearly two months in where are we? Since then there's been a holiday in Wales, one in Bridgnorth, back to a load of work, students exams and just finished marking them as my teaching colleague was off for more than a fortnight. And a short visit to hospital. But not all has been static. I've been doing some pre-processing of stonework sheets and trying out varnishes on them. Now I have to head to decisons, but before then cure the warp on the roof of the baseboard.

The major decision is 'how tatty do I make them'? If you look at BRealistic's pix that he took before and during listing you'll see that the roof had got less colander-like.

This has major holes in the roof - http://www.rmweb.co....ttach_id=141770

And this has had them repaired - http://www.rmweb.co....d/page__st__25#

But now better excavate the baseboard to take pics of the mockup.

• 4 weeks later...

If you need any particular views for reference I can do a photo run, am not that far away. Looking forward to seeing these.

Very kind of you - might take you up on that. I have my own and BRealistc's stuff that I'm working through but it'll become apparent what's missing..

Archived