SMART Power Board

SHMD

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Domestic chores and emergencies have delayed work on the TCC..

..but as am now working away again, (this time as a first time visitor to Spain, Zaragoza – I'm well impressed so far), I've resumed work on my application of the Throttled Cab Controller utilising SDB1.

I had an evening of packing(!) in which to wire up the front control panel, which I did, but when I applied the initial test program – problems showed themselves.

Nothing major – no mushroom clouds or loud bangs – but just a misalignment of some controls to the software.

Probably either a ribbon cable core counting fault or a software digital binary counting fault.

I will find out tomorrow, as either way, it is easy to identify and rectify. (I hope!)

One other innovation on this project, that just keeps giving, is that if I change the laminated fascia on the Control Box then I change the whole way that the train is controlled!

Anyone for power notches?

Kev.

post-12815-0-05910700-1347914603_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-51723200-1347914637_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

After some intensive investigations, the problem of the controls not being read correctly, was traced to me not being able to count in binary properly or write proper (logical) software!

Both faults have been fixed and I'm glad to say that, firstly, my analytical-drawing-building skills are not at fault, and secondly, it's obvious that I'm not paid for my software prowess!

Hardware testing, of TCC, is now complete and tomorrow I should inflict some more testing on my much travelled, and much abused, Gronk!

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

The “Throttled Cab Controller” project is meant as a demonstration of the flexibility (and capability) of my 2012 Challenge Entry “Smart Driver Board”.

So, whilst in Zaragoza (Spain) last week, I managed to write some code to make my Throttled Cab Controller work. Nothing too fancy (although that is planned), just a classic “Forward – Off – Reverse” DC controller.

There is something inherently satisfying about making something and then seeing it work for the first time.

So when I programmed TCC, connected the power (the 19v, 2.5A dc PSU for my laptop), connected a test track to TCC and placed my (still) faithful Gronk onto the track I felt fantastic when it moved off, when commanded, and generally responded to the main control knob. :) :)

(One slight oversight was that my “much abused Gronk” fare took-off when I applied full power! I forgot that I was supplying 19volts instead of 12volts – easy to change though.)

Whilst testing the other controls on TCC I was amazed, but very pleased, that the calculated values for the resister voltage divider networks all were either Bang-on or within one significant digit (binary) of what they should have been. :)

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Smart Driver Board – State of play.

Let me say straight away thanks to Mr A. York for RMweb and for this years Challenges.

For me, especially, RMweb allows me to learn, communicate (and be amused :) ) WHILST I am travelling for work and thus away from my “modelling den”. In short RMweb has enhanced my modelling experience considerably – Absolutely Fantastic – Thank you.

Now to my 2012 Innovation Challenge entry.

It's done, complete finished! As of mid-July this year no less! - But just like any other entry, it doesn't mean you have to stop modifying, proving, developing it further, or indeed, playing with it!

A completed project SHOULD (hopefully) be used thereafter.

My entry for the 2012 Innovation Challenge was to design build, and prove, a “Smart Power Board” which I later call a “Smart Driver Board” or SDB for short.

Basically a standard PCB with a Power Controller coupled to a rather useful Micro Controller.

I also wanted to use as much Free-ware, (legitimately), as possible so that many more people/members could benefit from my design and use it for as little as possible. (Although, a “good” PIC programmer IS definitely recommended, (a PICkit2 if you can get one!).)

What I set out to achieve was to create a product that would fill ALL my, (and thus hopefully others too), various controlled motor requirements for the foreseeable future BUT utilising ONE standard PCB for all situations.

This not only has the advantage of cost savings, in terms of design, manufacturing and parts inventory but it also means that you can become familiar with the “design” and quickly build up a small library of software routines to not only aid in testing but to speed up finished application software considerably.

I must say that I've thoroughly enjoyed developing and making my 2012 Innovation Challenge and I could/was seen “playing” with it in Airports, on Trains and at Hotel Bars around the world fiddling with it. (With some concerned looks and some interesting conversations generated!)

I'm still going to continue “playing” with SDB as there are so many things to do! Some new and quite unexpected!

SDB greatest achievements

FreeSound.

Stepper control (with open loop current control).

DC (PWM) control.

Shuttle controller Unit.

My greatest Hopes

Somebody finds this useful/helpful.

My best moments

Every time I switch it on and it works!

Discovering a new application for SDB.

Motors/devices successfully tested/demonstrated

DC motors (1.5v phone vibrators upto 24v dc Can), Spot Lamp(s) (12v and 24v 15W!), Servors, Stepper Motors (Various), Locos (Bachmann 03, 08, 24 DC mode).

Faults

Some typo's on the schematic diagram. (Easy to edit.)

J20, on the PCB, has the “r” and the “5” swapped around on the silk screen. (Most annoying!)

The future

Is my oyster! Ok then DCC, PC comms, recording journeys, sensor-less position detection and Automation.

This whole 2012 Innovation Challenge has been so immensely satisfying, educational and useful. Not only do I have a flexible motor controller, (optimised for model railway use), I am also the proud owner of a bespoke customisable DC train controller!

And that's not the half of it, when I get to the DCC projects that's when things will really get really interesting – and SDB allows me to carry on my modelling, (the control side of things), whilst I am away from home travelling for work.

Thanks,

Kev.

I have been following this through all its stages, fascinated by your abilities to get the equipment designed and built and the ability to write the programs to make it work. I don't have the ability to do any of that, but I'm fascinated by the concept of a piece of kit that is capable of doing so many things. I'm seriously waiting for you to upgrade the Raspberry Pi and have that sitting up and doing tricks too. Thanks for the journey and Best of luck with the project

Jack

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jack I appreciate your interest.

You managed to précis my challenge aims rather well. :)

It's funny, but just this afternoon my father and brother both expressed interest in getting a Raspberry PI, even though both of them couldn't do a thing with them!

So then I thought about getting one with them! Probably wont happen though but I must look at the Spec and programming options – maybe I could use it as a signalling HUB, or at the very least, an IO expansion option for SDB. :)

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking last night - dangerous I know - but would it be/have been possible to submit the "Thottled CAB Controller" in the 2012 Scratch build Challenge?

Kev.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Thanks for the link – I will definitely search this web site.

Yes, a few members here are definitely doing some very interesting things with both the Arduino and the RPi.

I will 'DCC' my SDB because:-

A/ I said I would,

B/ I am interested in it and want to see if I can conquer it,

C/ it is there!

But, and a big but for me, SDB has been so successful, so enjoyable and so openly customisable with straight traditional DC that I may not go DCC at all now!!!

Even Sound, (which DCC excels at), and multiple working, (consists(!) where DCC is the unsurpassed champion), are not enough to keep me on the DCC track.

(RC, with rechargeable batteries, is probably next for me.)

Thanks again,

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

Attached is a DXF version of the schematic.

I have also added the BOM (Bill of Materials).

You can change anything really, (and I am very happy to advise).

The only thing(s) that are of any import are the recovery diodes D1 to D8. They need to be very fast! So use the ones I have.

Otherwise - enjoy!

Kev.

No joy - RMweb don't like dxf files!

I've changed the extension from .dxf to .txt - all you have to do is change it back again.

post-12815-0-64518600-1368204863_thumb.jpg

PicCTRL11_1_100513.txt

• RMweb Gold

Err, yes sure.

The reason for my hesitancy is because I will need to document (explain) what is happening, where and why.

It is written in basic (structured like pascal) and the compiler is free to use up to 2k and for personal use only.

I will post the program tomorrow with as much info as possible.

Which Pic programmer do you have?

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

HI,

The basic file is attached.

Please ask lots of questions as this will aid in understanding. I am happy to explain anything!

This code is for a the Throttled CAB Controller using my Smart Driver Board. (Thus you can make your own DC controller!)

In the Code there is the Pic16F1847 header file (hidden), then the Variable declarations, the chip/board/application/peripheral initialisations, the Procedure definitions and, finally, the main routine.

I make extensive use of Interrupts for timing and display text management. (almost like a realtime operating system (V-simple) but more like time splicing. It allows an element of standardisation in user generated events.)

I also make use of commenting-out code for experimentation and as a memory aid.

The PWM modules are used to control the power to the H-Bridges depending upon direction.

The Controls on the Throttled CAB Controller are generated from a huge great big potential divider which then goes into an ADC and the relevant control is then detected.

The controller has a Forward-Off-Reverse control for controlling either circuit directly or for Recording and Replaying a Journey.

Might I recommend the PICkit3.

It's cheap and you also get a demo board with it. (<£30 I guess.)

Enjoy,

Kev.

SDB1CAB2.txt

Archived