Class 71 almost in 2mm

nick_bastable

• RMweb Premium

Line No4 Sleeps and I've gone all Green EMU / DMU

Latest effort to go with the easily converted 101 and 108 ( both off region :nono: ) and a rather tasty green CEP yet to be convert as not sure best approach is a class 71

This is from a BH enterprises kit ( well two ends a single etch and a few misc bits is a kit ) The chassis a Bachmann F7 needed serious milling of the chassis to make it fit under the roof recess which took several hours/attempts.

As requested some pictures Wheels need changing as per the 419 MLV ( which I must finish :sarcastichand: ) hand rails drilled when I get a few hundred .3mm drill bits ready to break buffers and the pantograph is on order. At the moment it does run on the N gauge wheels rather well

post-1480-0-29147300-1332186600_thumb.jpg

post-1480-0-35555300-1332186643_thumb.jpg

post-1480-0-25410300-1332186613_thumb.jpg

post-1480-0-11324300-1332186628_thumb.jpg

Last two showing just how much chassis block of the F7 needs removing :no:

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting the photos, Nick. I'll be interested to see how it develops.

Gordon shouldn't have any trouble turning down the wheels - no pointy bits (although he seems to be quite used to those now) and no horrid traction tyres.

David

• RMweb Premium

David

dont think the wheels will work in 2mm due to the limited grip on the gear muff shame as nice NMRA profile although about 50% too wide :scared:

Nick,

Couldn't you superglue the axles in the muffs as we do with normal 2mm Association wheels?

David

• RMweb Premium

David even if the axles gripped there is a step in the axle which makes the riding bearing(s) extend the wheels no bearing unless i can cut/find some 0.5mm long brass of the same diameter as the muff/bearing, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/25348-bogie/ shows the solution used on a TPM converted chassis

However still investigating as awaiting the other body bits :senile:

David

dont think the wheels will work in 2mm due to the limited grip on the gear muff shame as nice NMRA profile although about 50% too wide :scared:

Nick,

I don't know if you know or not, but Ian Morgan wrote an article for the 2mm Magazine in the 90s explaining how to finescale these chassis. It involves using the Association's solid tender wheels and bits of rod and tube. If you've got the 2mm archive DVD/CD you'll be able to find it quite easily.

David S.

• RMweb Premium

David strange to say the original reason for the F7's was for a TPM chassis with the archive DVD article in mind, trouble is Bachmann have changed the bogie / wheel design..... :O since the article :wild:

May get Gordon to turn them anyway and see if I can cut suitable 0.5mm sleeves to extend the bearings.

Hand rails are on if not perfect and Pantograph sorted

David strange to say the original reason for the F7's was for a TPM chassis with the archive DVD article in mind, trouble is Bachmann have changed the bogie / wheel design..... :O since the article :wild:

Nick,

I didn't realise you knew about Ian's article, and I didn't know they'd changed the chassis either. If they hadn't messed with it you could have used some spoked tender wheels, which would have looked good. Looking again at your photos I notice that the bogies don't have the plug to take the sideframes either, so you can't easily use the TPM sideframes that were intended for EMUs, but (I think) look fairly similar to 71, 73 & 74 bogies.

David

I notice that the bogies don't have the plug to take the sideframes either, so you can't easily use the TPM sideframes that were intended for EMUs, but (I think) look fairly similar to 71, 73 & 74 bogies.

The revised 1611 version has added etched brackets that glue under the bogie retaining plate to carry the sideframes now.

Nick,

I didn't realise you knew about Ian's article, and I didn't know they'd changed the chassis either. If they hadn't messed with it you could have used some spoked tender wheels, which would have looked good. Looking again at your photos I notice that the bogies don't have the plug to take the sideframes either, so you can't easily use the TPM sideframes that were intended for EMUs, but (I think) look fairly similar to 71, 73 & 74 bogies.

Even at this size, it's difficult to say that the bogies of these three classes look that much alike - the 71 and 74 is nearly 2' longer in the wheelbase with 4' diameter wheels as opposed to 3'4" - and although that might be overlookable the secondary suspension of a 71 consists of a pair of enormous leaf springs which are very apparent. In 4mm (been there and done that if you look at my blog) the difference is obvious but I suppose it might be less apparent at half the size. The 74 bogie is reasonably close to an oversized 73 but it's still 20% or so bigger. That said, I don't suppose the wheelbase of the donor chassis is 100% right?

Adam

Don't have all the evidence to hand, but the 71/74 chassis has the same bogie wheelbase, and similar overall wheelbase, as the opposition's class 35 Hymek. Some parts may be of use if you can find one of the Dapol models.

• RMweb Premium

Don't have all the evidence to hand, but the 71/74 chassis has the same bogie wheelbase, and similar overall wheelbase, as the opposition's class 35 Hymek. Some parts may be of use if you can find one of the Dapol models.

Interesting call about the Hymek. According to drawings the bogie wheelbase is the same at 10' 6" and the bogie centres would work out at 3mm less than a Class 71. The Dapol 26/27 chassis might also be a consideration with bogie wheelbase of 10' which may compensate for the bogie centres working out at 4mm more than Class 71. You would need some ideas about the bogie sideframes but no problem for Gordon to do the wheels.

David

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Nick,

Just giving this a bump to see if there has been any progress.

David

David

all rather stalled at the moment having made a good start, the question of the bogie size is one that I will live with the under scale bogie of the F7 to try and achieve a scale bogie would involve scratch building the whole chassis and i have enough problems as it is :scratchhead: if I scratch built the chassis then the body would really not be up to the effort.

Cosmetic bogie side frames were drawn up to be cut and laminated from 10thou plastic but proved rather a failure :nono:

As for painting I'm on attempt no 4 the first two where rubbish and stripping via my old method ( caustic soda) dissolved the filler and required rebuilding after each strip

attempt no 3 the paint splattered to a orange peel effect although I learned something via a military forum and stripped using domestic antisceptic (Dettol or a cheap clone ) which works remarkably well and does not disolve plastic filler ( makes you wonder what it does to cuts :mail: ) attempt no 4 sits etched primed delayed by domestic duties, lack of interest and a diversion into other things ( a J94 chassis - fail :O a LSWR 4 wheeler - awaiting painting :no: and fitting the support for the cassette system to the Canterbury Area groups shunting plank - success :sungum:

Your post has prompted me to at least looking at it again :jester:

• RMweb Premium

David

all rather stalled at the moment having made a good start, the question of the bogie size is one that I will live with the under scale bogie of the F7 to try and achieve a scale bogie would involve scratch building the whole chassis and i have enough problems as it is :scratchhead: if I scratch built the chassis then the body would really not be up to the effort.

Cosmetic bogie side frames were drawn up to be cut and laminated from 10thou plastic but proved rather a failure :nono:

As for painting I'm on attempt no 4 the first two where rubbish and stripping via my old method ( caustic soda) dissolved the filler and required rebuilding after each strip

attempt no 3 the paint splattered to a orange peel effect although I learned something via a military forum and stripped using domestic antisceptic (Dettol or a cheap clone ) which works remarkably well and does not disolve plastic filler ( makes you wonder what it does to cuts :mail: ) attempt no 4 sits etched primed delayed by domestic duties, lack of interest and a diversion into other things ( a J94 chassis - fail :O a LSWR 4 wheeler - awaiting painting :no: and fitting the support for the cassette system to the Canterbury Area groups shunting plank - success :sungum:

Your post has prompted me to at least looking at it again :jester:

Nick,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like perseverence is the word!

David

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just to show this isnt yet another kit languishing forgotten today I made attempt No5 to spray the basic body ( the 71 has had more baths than Cleopatra :sarcastichand: ) a nice shade of GREEN knowing how much bcnpete likes the colour :jester:

As requested many moons ago a end view

post-1480-0-16439900-1349022916_thumb.jpg

It all rather cruel at that size now letting it harden prior to removing the masking tape

and a teaser as to what else I'm up to

post-1480-0-75403600-1349022992_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Pete will sort a end on shot on next progress update

Thanks Nick

Glad to see you have the primer done for the blue now :P

Look forward to see more of the 'teaser' in construction...third rail is looking good too :yes:

Archived