Can you guess what it is yet?

Katier

Hi Katier

I agree with Bob to a point, could be a brake van of some sort but it looks as if it might have a caboose type observation cabin

perched on the top (therefore not British) but they built these kind of brake vans down under (Aus) Could we have another clue please ?

Nice to see the pics posted straight away, very business like !

Cheers John.

Wasn't happy with the sides, the printout I based them off wasn't quite the right size and I realised I could simplify the construction slightly by including the side rails of the chassis in the structure of the sides. I also added the doors first to give strength back that was lost with the removal of the door hole :).

6857802380_e2aebe8915_z.jpg

Now the next question is can you spot the (now corrected) mistake?

Now the next question is can you spot the (now corrected) mistake?

And the answer is - yes, I believe I can :)

I think you have produced two identical sides, instead of one being a mirror image of the other - so one door needs removing and re-gluing on the other side of that side (which all sounds very complicated and confusing - simpler to wait for your photo of the corrected versions)

David

Steady progress. The brass chassis is from a NER hopper which I accidently broke so the chassis was going spare and thus is being used on this kit. The wheelbase is spot on but the overhangs were too large so I butchered the ends and inserted some square bar as a fillet to replace the fold over ends.

7012011419_dcbc89de8b_c.jpg

The wooden baulks at the ends will be wood ( balsa ) while the only commercial items are likely to be white metal buffers and the springs.

Hi Katier

Mistake No 3 ! Telling the world that you made the first two (I would have kept stumm) but we are all allowed to make a mistake

as long as we don't make the same one twice. However the model seems to be coming along nicely and side windows excepted I like

what I see. In my first comment I got the bit right about it being a brake van with a observation cabin on top but in my ignorance I did not

think that such a van would have been made in GB on account of the loading gauge ( didn't get a cookie!) but one learns something every

day. You are doing very well, keep up the good work.

Cheers

John

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/30801-horseley-fields-n-gauge-layout-was-dibben-junction/page__st__100

Hehe fixed number two, too.. cut off the white blank and built it up with microstrip - probably the best solution as saved the trouble of cutting out holes in the card. :)

Yep you got it close, I'm guessing the headroom in the main part is limited but as you are sitting down most of the time ( either sitting in the birdcage or around the fire/oven) doubt it's a biggy.

NER also did a similar van with a veranda at the other end and a double veranda version with a large central 'birdcage' which covered the entire central section ( thus I guess giving good headroom in the entire van).

As for the mistakes, I think it's all part of the experience, way I look at this competition is a learning experience and as showing the build progress was stipulated these threads will be a useful resource for people to work with in future builds :).

Really enjoying this excersize and happy with how it's coming along.

Just installed the floor.

Task list is now :-

1) widen the chassis as it was designed with detail pieces to take it to the right width. While the side rails are part of the main body on this model I want the chassis to fit snug inside the body so it's centered correctly.

2) Add the details to the chassis irons etc.

3) fit the full length baulks of timber that run under the chassis (which might require notches to clear the axles).

4) Fit the buffers and paint the model.

5) Fit glazing and fabricate the roof's.

6) Paint and fit the roof's (done in this order to avoid having to mask the glazing).

Bit more progress. The undercarriage is all complete and painted including brake shoes ( the only visible part of the braking system). Photo's to come :).

What's left is roof, glazing, details, buffers and paint on the top half.

Hi Katier

Your model is looking very nice now and will I am sure be even better when finished, for what it is worth I like it a lot.

Again showing my ignorance in matters NER (I didn't know such a brake van existed) could you please tell me and perhaps

others what is/was the purpose of the two vertical wooden baulks at the back of the vehicle, I thought that they might be for

pushing against by a vehicle other than a loco with buffers, or are they loading ramps of some sort, I just don't know.

Cheers

John

Added the under-chassis timbers, the support bars for the footboard things and touched up the paint.

Shes basically finished now apart from transfers which I don't currently possess.

Next up will be the station for which I hope to order some bits in the next few days. The station will include the track so I can confirm clearances etc. but technically the track won't count (although arguably the points will being handmade).

Archived