Dapol announce 'N' 27, 'OO' 73 and 'O' 08 at Alexandra Palace

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

gaugntlet throw down etc.

Enjoy the new era :locomotive:

Mmm, N in the house, O in the garden...

How long before the combined ranks of N and O gauge modellers out number those who prefer OO? Surely with the ever increasing range of models available in N and news like Dapol's 7mm 08 it's only a matter of time?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi chaps,

Please note, we are not pricing the O gauge 08 keenly to increase sales volume. O gauge really shouldnt be expensive as it is.

We have priced up 4-6-0 loco's and the Western to not exceed £350.00 retail (should we progress with them).

So our O gauge 08 is priced to what we are happy making as a standard profit margin, not as a loss leader, gaugntlet throw down etc.

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Would any mainline diesel have a proper drive with centre can motor rather than the twin motor "china drive" favoured by others?

Cheers

Colin

Hi chaps,

Please note, we are not pricing the O gauge 08 keenly to increase sales volume. O gauge really shouldnt be expensive as it is.

We have priced up 4-6-0 loco's and the Western to not exceed £350.00 retail (should we progress with them).

So our O gauge 08 is priced to what we are happy making as a standard profit margin, not as a loss leader, gaugntlet throw down etc.

cheers

Dave

Well done Dave, I think this is both sensible and acceptable pricing and will do O gauge nothing but good long term. Heljan's pricing to me was starting to get a bit to much in my eyes, as if they felt they could ask high prices, because O gauge modelers accepted them, but that doesn't bring new modelers into 7mm.

I understand the smaller cottage businesses in 7mm having to charge high prices, they don't have the same resources, demand is much less and everyone needs to make some sort of living.

With Dapol's plans and pricing in O gauge, this may have some short term effect on these companies, but long term it should do something not seen before and that's bring so many people into the scale. Which will mean improved sales for both O gauge manufacturers and traders and of course us modelers :) , I wonder what the ratio of 4mm to 7mm modelers will be 10 years from now, I'm sure it will be quite different reading.

A big up to Dave and Dapol on starting the revolution, this is certainly a new era in 7mm modeling.

Now I just need a bigger house :D

Trevor.

Well that is one more scale to the portfolio!!!

One more shunting plank in 7mm methinks?

At least I have a reason to finish some of those noodlings with Slaters kit from years ago.

Fabbo sir, truely fabbo

My missus still will nae like it mind... :lol:

And to think the wee Class 27 was what I was thinking about really? Oh dear.......................... :fie:

And to think the wee Class 27 was what I was thinking about really? Oh dear.......................... :fie:

With my 7mm cl06 and cl26 feeling a bit lonely, could the future see cl27's & cl29's in this premier scale.

Sorry, I will go and wipe the excess fluid from my chin immediately :dancing:

O gauge really shouldnt be expensive as it is.......

I have thought that for a long time; it always seems to me that in the UK there is almost an accepted "wisdom" that "It's O Scale so it just IS expensive", and also something of an "exclusivity" attitude where some want it to remain expensive to keep out the riff-raff....

cheers

Dave

Oh you betcha!! :locomotive: indeed!!! :sungum:

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

would not there be better 'mileage' in also providing un-numbered versions of each livery - it would provide much more flexibility, entice more interest and create more sales.

cheers

Mike

I have to add my congratulations to Dapol for the 7mm 08 for what I think is a brilliant move and will open new avenues for the hobby. I'll not be buying one though as RTR and 08 are not my era/thing in 7mm and I prefer to stay with kit builds. (anticipating a rush of 08 kits on eBay). I do think a well positioned industrial would have been an even bigger sell as an 08 I think is very era limiting and would look better and more at home on a slightly larger layout than the standard plank.

As for the rest in N and OO I can see nothing that will temp me as they are all far too "modern" for my taste. But I can see others will see an appeal to them.

I wouldn't like Dapol too just go down the ME2 route and follow HEjan in focusing 7mm efforts on large modern diesels. I think there is plenty of scope in playing the 7mm small shunting layout to its full and there must be plenty of small steam and diesel locos that are ready for a new approach to price and quality innovation.

Hi chaps,

cheers

Dave

Oh bother. And I'm in a position where I need to sell up and possibly start again...

And I have a soft spot for O gauge too...

Grrr...

Before launching into large locos can I suggest that a reasonable range of smaller prototypes be tackled first? Those people who take the O gauge plunge will probably start with a small shunting layout. I too have long felt that O gauge doesn't have to be ridiculously expensive.

John

Super news about the 73. This has really impressed me about Dapol! Is a GB Railfreight planned for the second batch of releases? 73206 Lisa - Ideally the one i would like to own. Till then, i have a Kernow Network Rail 73212 on pre-order. First time i have ever pre-ordered a Dapol model! Seriously impressed!

An all new Class 73 was never going to be that far away.

The aging Hornby/Lima model can finally be laid to rest at long last. That model could easily have limped on for another 5-10 years with none of the improvements we now expect to see on models.

Well done Dapol.

would not there be better 'mileage' in also providing un-numbered versions of each livery - it would provide much more flexibility, entice more interest and create more sales.

Heljan's un-numbered locos seem to have been poor sellers. Vocal calls for them did not appear to translate into sales.

Un-numbered locos are convenience for those who wish to create a particular prototype. A modeller who wants a particular number is usually confident enough of his own ability to remove a couple of existing numbers. A modeller who just wants an accurate product out of the box is less likely to be happy to take the risk of applying the numbers wonky if they are not part of the factory finish.

Hi chaps,

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Music to my ears, not just because of the price issue, yet the fair day's work for a fair day's pay type of approach is very refreshing, especially in the 'current economic climate'.

I realise that many suppliers of 7mm parts are cottage industries and have to use others further up the supply chain and have less choice in pricing etc., yet I have been waiting for a company such as Dapol, to come on board and do the right thing by us all, whilst still making a profit for themselves, thus ensuring longevity for the company..

There are other - larger - companies currently making 7mm RTR, yet I still believe ('I believe' isnt the same as 'I know') that their pricing strategy doesnt always relate to the costs + profits etc. in otherwords they have charged what the market will bear (by wetting their collective fingers and sticking them in the air so to speak), I also see a failure, on their part, of, on the one hand, a lack of 'continuous improvement' and on the other hand they sometimes throw the baby out with the bath water.

More strength to your elbow - I wish you all the very best in your 7mm endeavours!

Kind regards,

CME

Heljan's un-numbered locos seem to have been poor sellers. Vocal calls for them did not appear to translate into sales.

Un-numbered locos are convenience for those who wish to create a particular prototype. A modeller who wants a particular number is usually confident enough of his own ability to remove a couple of existing numbers. A modeller who just wants an accurate product out of the box is less likely to be happy to take the risk of applying the numbers wonky if they are not part of the factory finish.

One of the issues with Heljan, is that the prices have steadily increased since the introduction of the Hymek, then there is the matter of faulty gears which blighted several locos in the range. IMHHO Heljan dont always seem to listen to customer feedback (at certain levels), perhaps these issue have contributed to poor sales etc..

It must be remembered that for many modellers of 7mm, less is more, so instead of draws full of eg Cl37's in '00' (sic), then a loco or two of each type may suffice, so therefore the likelyhood of a manufacturer getting the numbering right for everyone is slim to say the least. I think that Heljan were wise to move to the unumbered system....sadly it appears that HMRS will have to re-source it's range of methfix/pressfix which may be problematic in the short - medium term and transfers/decals can be pricey in 7mm scale.

Perhaps a transfer set of basic numbers with each loco maybe a good half way house, with part numbers already in place on the model?? - Just thinking out aloud here...

ATB

CME

This must be one of the funniest 'enthusaism overboard' comments ever on RMweb. Isn't there the slightly awkward requirement that the model actually go on sale during 2012 to become a MOTY candidate? For all DapolDave's (and the team he represents) terrific work rate, there was a fair old pipeline of existing product announcements to work through before these announcements.

So it's only me going 'O' purely on the basis of this one release? I do hope DapolDave realises he'll only be selling the one Gronk then... :banghead:

Considering you said D605Eagle had spectacularly missed the point, I'm really struggling to see how you've addressed 34C's... :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

This is getting a tad too close to seeing straw men now. Nobody is suggesting that this product isnt innovative, because it clearly is. But if you've already decided it's the 2012 MOTY - before you even know it'll be out this year - then nobody else need vote, I suppose.

Ressaldar - re the O guage numbering I agree totally - there really should be an option to have an unnumbered one. For example if it is popular people might want to buy a second 08 and if there's say only 08529 it looks silly side by side. Trying to get manufacturer's painted numbers off generally isn't easy. I think if in future they say produce another numbered blue then why not produce an unnumbered one too - IT WILL BE POPULAR IN O GUAGE. Things are different in O guage and many people go the extra mile for added realism. I don't think it's going to happen though because I spoke to Dave at Dapol at the weekend at AllyPally and it the idea wasn't entertained at all. I was swiftly quoted that Hornby,Bachmann don't produce unnumbered locos etc as people want them READY TO RUN and the same applies to Dapol - end of story. A real shame - I hope they will see the light as it will further maximise sales. In one breath they say they have the tooling to produce different versions etc which is great but if they fix you to 08529 for example what's the point. I applaud Dapol with their 08 and you can see on here the excitement it has generated but I really think they should offer the option of an unnumbered one for modellers in 7mm. For me I model the North East circa 1980 so 08529 doesn't fit all! It's not much of a problem really as I've already got 08747 & 08888 super detailed Bachmann versions already on shed. Anyway good luck to Dapol - I would love to see some more modern wagons from the 70's/80's/90's period given time.

Ressaldar - re the O guage numbering I agree totally - there really should be an option to have an unnumbered one. For example if it is popular people might want to buy a second 08 and if there's say only 08529 it looks silly side by side. Trying to get manufacturer's painted numbers off generally isn't easy. I think if in future they say produce another numbered blue then why not produce an unnumbered one too - IT WILL BE POPULAR IN O GUAGE. Things are different in O guage and many people go the extra mile for added realism. I don't think it's going to happen though because I spoke to Dave at Dapol at the weekend at AllyPally and it the idea wasn't entertained at all. I was swiftly quoted that Hornby,Bachmann don't produce unnumbered locos etc as people want them READY TO RUN and the same applies to Dapol - end of story. A real shame - I hope they will see the light as it will further maximise sales. In one breath they say they have the tooling to produce different versions etc which is great but if they fix you to 08529 for example what's the point. I applaud Dapol with their 08 and you can see on here the excitement it has generated but I really think they should offer the option of an unnumbered one for modellers in 7mm. For me I model the North East circa 1980 so 08529 doesn't fit all! It's not much of a problem really as I've already got 08747 & 08888 super detailed Bachmann versions already on shed. Anyway good luck to Dapol - I would love to see some more modern wagons from the 70's/80's/90's period given time.

I agree, unnumbered options would suit me. I have numbered my locos (or they are still waiting for numbering) but then they are brass construction. I'm just pleased that Dapol is planning to make very reasonably priced O gauge stock. I have wagons on order and will have to order an 08 even though all my other locos are steam outline.

DaveC

• RMweb Premium

This shows we really need more compact points in O gauge than the Peco ones, otherwise for those 'plank' layouts you'll be building your own. A 3 foot radius turnout in O gauge can take up just 1 foot of track length and would be ideal for smaller locos like the 08 and Ixion Hudswell Clarke. Peco have said they're not interested but the market for small layouts with RTR stock will really grow now, so the opportunity is there.

Maybe Dapol will consider making Gauge 0 points - and for that matter, a decent autocoupling to save messing about with 3-link coulings would be a great idea too!

• RMweb Premium

Ressaldar - re the O guage numbering I agree totally - there really should be an option to have an unnumbered one. For example if it is popular people might want to buy a second 08 and if there's say only 08529 it looks silly side by side. Trying to get manufacturer's painted numbers off generally isn't easy.

Dapol already produce different running numbers in future batches in N and OO so why wouldn't they do the same in 7mm?

If lots of 08s sell then Dapol would be mad to not produce a new version which will probably have a new running number.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Archived