Dapol announce 'N' 27, 'OO' 73 and 'O' 08 at Alexandra Palace

Andy Y

Hi Bob;

Yes, as 27008 had been announced as a running number for the forthcoming release, it stirred some memories.

As a result, I was in a discussion with Dave about the period when 27007 &27008 ran with centre windows plated over (a period of roughly 2-3 years between 80-82ish IIRC). It was a sufficiently significant timescale for it to be a factor in the later lives of the class....

http://www.rmweb.co....ass-26-and-27/#

(scroll down the page for example pics)

As for cab doors, these are/were interchangeable with a Class 26 so happened occasionally, but was usually short lived, so I'm not factoring in that particular variance for historical accuracy of the forthcoming model.

Now about sliding vs droplight cab windows, electrification flash placement, white headcodes, Derby Works cabside numbers, large/normal bodyside numbers, cab end numbers (27001 in is final days) Stags,Castles or Westies (of various sizes) and 27056 with its white stripe, then the 27/2s with ETH connections!!!

Nah...quite a boring class in BR Blue really.. :senile:

Later;

STU from EGDL

Hopefully (for the 2mm scale modellers at least) they'll avoid all the out of the ordinary ones - mainly from the early 80s to withdrawal, when they eventually went down to a zero budget for repairs (which is why some ended up withdrawn for seemingly minor repairs). Heljan (for me at least) for the 4mm models chose variants for a fairly broad range making it easy enough to add on the little oddities that appeared in the later years - like the blanked out cab screen.... and the odd transfers.

Its makes commercial sense for Dapol to do them with running numbers fitted, people will always buy re issues of a loco just because it has a different running number.

Modelers who want a different running number will change it. But I think probably 80% plus will be more than happy with the number on the loco, as has been the way in any scale.

And if it means we get a rtr class 08 for under £200, them I'm all for it.

Maybe Dapol will consider ..... a decent autocoupling to save messing about with 3-link coulings would be a great idea too!

No no no!!! :O :nono: One of the major reasons I moved into O Scale was because of 3-links..!! I wanted to use 'scale' couplings, but having faffed about with 'em in 4mm scale years ago, just couldn't do it in the small scales again..... :scratchhead:

This shows we really need more compact points in O gauge than the Peco ones, otherwise for those 'plank' layouts you'll be building your own.

Peco points are the equivalent of "medium radius" in OO - 6ft radius in O. Whilst I agree that the points at 16" long do seem long, the difficulty is that if you use shorter ones then if you aren't careful you'll end up running on the equivalent of setrack points, which of course doesn't lend itself well to realistic scale running plus 6' radius is the minimum recommended for longer wheelbase locos in the same way that most longer modern OO stock isn't designed for less than radius 2 curves.

If you're just running an 08 and short wheelbase 4 wheel wagons then you will probably get away with shorter points - but only if the 08 is the only thing you're ever likely to want to run.

A lot of O gauge layouts are imaginatively designed to make the most of the space. Although you can get 4ft radius and 3 way points from Marcway, they are more expensive of course than the Peco ones. As much as I'd like to have some tighter points for use within, for example, a factory complex where main line locos never venture, I think O gauge rtr trackwork is possibly a step too far for Dapol. However, I'd be happy for Dave to prove me wrong...

Just because they've already made a lovely Beattie Well Tank in 4mm there's no reason to think it might be their first venture into 'O'' Gauge steam locos is there........................................... :mail:

It's great to see so much interest for what looks like a very significant entry by Dapol in the 7mm RTR locomotive market. The 08 seems to be an excellent choice for those of us with limited space who still want to model the BR scene. Of course, post-BR industrial use of 08s (coal, stone etc.) gives even more opportunities. Can't wait for this one!

Now if only the class 22 could feature in their plans ...........

Hopefully (for the 2mm scale modellers at least) they'll avoid all the out of the ordinary ones - mainly from the early 80s to withdrawal, when they eventually went down to a zero budget for repairs (which is why some ended up withdrawn for seemingly minor repairs). Heljan (for me at least) for the 4mm models chose variants for a fairly broad range making it easy enough to add on the little oddities that appeared in the later years - like the blanked out cab screen.... and the odd transfers.

Hi Bob;

Agreed, in that a 'bog-standard' release (in blue for me) is the best way ahead. The esoteric details are best left applied by the modeller. The only variable being the number size, ie standard or Eastfield 'larger' numbers. I'm happy for no depot emblems to be applied but would be looking for some snowploughs in the box!!

The 'depot specials' eg 27056 can be safely left to traders and Dapol Club members for now.

Later;

STU from EGDL

PS to Mods...Any chance of splitting this into scale specific threads??? It's getting hard to follow individual conversations! (Ta!!)

An 08 GFYE late crest for me - un-numbered please as the likeyhood of getting the correct number is slim.

Also some have mentioned that, psychologically at least, 'scrapping' numbers off of the side of an immaculatly painted 7mm scale loco, scares 'em...True Dapol may make more money with various number/livery releases, yet I wonder just how many 08's each 'average modeller' will have (1 or 2 I would guess??). I have the feeling that the debate on numbered/un-numbered 08's will carry on....

Still think, with a green, late crest 08, that such requires FYE's and 'Wasp Stripes' (thanks Chris for narrowing that down in my befuddled mind!).

A 'modern Pannier' 57xx/8750 would be nice at that sorta price too....

As shunting type locos they will have to run well too..

Exciting times!!!!

ATB

CME

Hi Bob;

Agreed, in that a 'bog-standard' release (in blue for me) is the best way ahead. The esoteric details are best left applied by the modeller. The only variable being the number size, ie standard or Eastfield 'larger' numbers. I'm happy for no depot emblems to be applied but would be looking for some snowploughs in the box!!

The 'depot specials' eg 27056 can be safely left to traders and Dapol Club members for now.

Later;

STU from EGDL

PS to Mods...Any chance of splitting this into scale specific threads??? It's getting hard to follow individual conversations! (Ta!!)

+1 :mosking:

Slightly O/T

Just a thought on the 'un-numbered' option; Peco did that with some versions of their N gauge Jubilee, with transfers for the (complete) numbers and nameplates for 4 different locos included in the box. Sounds great on paper, but a big proportion of those that turn up second hand have the name from one loco (usually 'Leander') but the number from another, and of course the rest of the transfer sheet has long since been lost...

I havent pre ordered yet as I would like to see the model first (08) I would like a black EC and a green LC wasp stripe.

I hope this is a great model, well done Dapol and it goes to show that it does not have to be expensive just because its O gauge.

Very interested to see whats to come next.

If Dapol could produce a 4.6.0 for £350 i think they would sell loads. Again just because its O it does not have to made from metal.

Its makes commercial sense for Dapol to do them with running numbers fitted, people will always buy re issues of a loco just because it has a different running number.

Modelers who want a different running number will change it. But I think probably 80% plus will be more than happy with the number on the loco, as has been the way in any scale.

And if it means we get a rtr class 08 for under £200, them I'm all for it.

[quote

]O gauge

7D010001 Class 08 shunter #D3048 BR Green with late crest, no yellow warning panels

7D010002 Class 08 shunter #13115 BR Green with early crest, no yellow warning panels

From what has been said above I think that it would be worthwhile Dapol changing the Late crest version to one with the FYE and wasp stripes, because, as it has been said, if someone wants a all green no yellow but with a late crest to renumber and logo a loco is not a huge job but to try and wasp stripe the bonet end of an 08 is very hard.

This is just my idea to spread the field and see which area sells the best. what is the point of having 2 locos that could be the same apart from the number and crest.

Alistair

If Dapol can upscale the N 73 to OO when are they going to do the same with their 86?

I would hope they do rather better than that - for example, the rainstrip round the cab front is completely level on their N gauge 73. I hope they might redo the N gauge one once they've designed a really good 4mm version.

Hey

If Dapol can upscale the N 73 to OO when are they going to do the same with their 86?

When Hornby demonstrably don't do anything about the situation... so a year or two I'd say...

Bring it on........

With you there...

Archived