Bachmann BR Blue/Grey Mk1 & Mk2A Coaches - Forthcoming Releases

southernelectric

• RMweb Premium

The lower white stripe should go though the door bangers. The grey is both deeper and narrower as it should be

Cheers

Jim

Had another careful look at HM last night. The FK does look right - it's the TSO (39-360B = E5266) that doesn't. I agree re the door bangers, which you can see clearly here Mk2 BSO SC9414 with the white lining going through them. But equally the grey band is clearly much deeper below the windows than above. Ok, this is a BSO but the windows are the same depth and position on the TSOs, as in the photo of W5172 I linked to earlier.

Perhaps the bangers are slightly too high? For me, sufficient depth of the grey band is far more important visually than alignment with body detailing.

Guest jim s-w

Not seen the Hornby mag so I can't comment. The actual samples I have seen are all consistant. I wonder if the Hornby pics are production samples or not (no real way to tell)

At the end of the day we will get what we get - you can always re-spray them if you are not happy

Cheers

Jim

Its not out by much then. Im finding it hard to see theres a real problem with the old livery to worry about. Frankly I'll let a.n.others go buy the new models and hopefully I can buy some more of the older type cheaper than they have been going for in the past ie;£30+

Looking at my BSO in relation to that photograph of SC9414 the blue only just runs across the tops of the door stoppers so we're talking about such a slight difference. Had I not heard anything at all about the apparent livery application error I doubt I wouldve given it a second thought.

As Jim says if they are still not right "in the eyes of the beholder" then you can respray em.

• RMweb Premium

I'll be after a few TSOs first off. As these would be my first Bachhy mk2s I won't have to worry about the livery thing. The lack of TSOs/SOs was why I didn't buy any earlier.

But if you are concerned about matching coaches, beware mixing and matching the old with the new. Bachmann has changed the blue it uses on its Blue/Grey Mk1 coaches since the first batches of Mk2s were produced and may have stuck to the new blue colour for these new Mk2s as well.

- you can always re-spray them if you are not happy

Cheers

Jim

Very true, but why should I have to? Colour is one thing, but Bachmann should have got this aspect of the livery right first time round, but its QC or QA clearly failed to pick it up. Hornby seems to have this problem too, based on the Van B thread concerning the oversized GUARD lettering.

If these MK2s are still wrong and sales are disappointing to Bachmann (again) as a result, I would expect them to be even more wary about producing other Mk2 variants in future. And we all seem to want new Mk2defs... So I think it is important Bachmann gets it right. But as you also say, it is of course too late now to do anything about it...

But if you are concerned about matching coaches, beware mixing and matching the old with the new. Bachmann has changed the blue it uses on its Blue/Grey Mk1 coaches since the first batches of Mk2s were produced and may have stuck to the new blue colour for these new Mk2s as well.

This is true, A bit of weathering should help with the shade of blue, after all it did seem to change in different lighting conditions. Since I tend to run like with like helps ie a rake of mk1s anda rake of mk2s. I think I can weather the liveries so they match better. Some trains ran with a mix of what was available so anything is possible.

• 2 weeks later...

With coaching stock being a mindfield for those of us trying to have a very vague stab at accuracy, I would love it if Bachmann could state their source when they release info on running numbers such as

Mk1 TSO blue/ grey W456789,

( photo Swansea - paddington July 1978).

That would at least give us an idea of prototypical use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looks like someone has cleaned Hattons out of the lot. They both went from more than ten in stock to all gone in the blink of an eye today, I just hope it wasn't EBay carpet baggers at work...

Thanks, Yes I can see from the Hattons pics they grey is fractionally lower (we're talking 0.25mm, the the white line runs through the door banger, but its hardly noticable)

(Edited to corred measurement - I meant 0.25mm not 1.25mm which would be huge!)

Thanks, Yes I can see from the Hattons pics they grey is fractionally lower (we're talking 1.25mm, the the white line runs through the door banger, but its hardly noticable

Hardly, but just sufficiently noticeable to be jarring, and an utter pig to remedy. With Hattons cleared out of these, looks like I'm about to shop around. Or support my local retailer....

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Yes I can see from the Hattons pics they grey is fractionally lower (we're talking 1.25mm, the the white line runs through the door banger, but its hardly noticable

I agree the difference seems to be neglible, but from Hattons' photos I personally think it's just about enough to look ok, whereas the previous versions simply looked wrong. But from pictures I have posted links to in this thread I still think the grey should be deeper below the window. But since the positioning on the white lining is now correct by going through the door bangers - could something else be wrong? Maybe the door bangers are fractionally too high? Funnily enough the new FK (from the pic in Hornby magazine anyway) looks better.

Looks like someone has cleaned Hattons out of the lot. They both went from more than ten in stock to all gone in the blink of an eye today, I just hope it wasn't EBay carpet baggers at work...

Indeed and I missed out hoping for a comparative photo on here to help me make up my mind about buying... I spoke to Hattons this morning and they are expecting more, so all is not lost - and anyway some of the better known internet retailers don't seem to have had any yet as they still show as for pre-order with Rails, Kernow and The Signal Box at least. This might also help explain why Hattons has sold out.

.....But from pictures I have posted links to in this thread I still think the grey should be deeper below the window. But since the positioning on the white lining is now correct by going through the door bangers - could something else be wrong? Maybe the door bangers are fractionally too high? Funnily enough the new FK (from the pic in Hornby magazine anyway) looks better.

Forget the door stops Andrew, even ignoring them the new width of the grey band appears now to be correct....

From below the gutter strip (which should be blue - not the same grey as the rest of the roof) try measuring even an old one - it should be...

3 1/8" wide classification band (BR Blue or Yellow) i.e. 1.04mm

3/4" white band (0.25mm)

3' - 8 3/8" Rail Grey Band (14.79mm)

3/4" white band (.25mm)

from that point (6'-3"(25mm) above rail level) to the bottom of the bodyside of course should be Rail Blue....

If you try out the sizes you'll find the white band almost passing through the centre of the stops so I'd say Bachmann have correctly fixed it this time!

Had a call 1 week ago to say the TSOs had arrived at my local shop in Dunfermline - Abbey models. The three coaches I collected I have to say with my eyes could see little difference with position of the bottom grey / blue border against the older Mk2s he had on the shelves. What is more obvious is the shade of blue , much lighter and now matching the latest editions of the Mk1s for which I will be running (buffet and full brake). I am pleased I had not bought any of the TSOs recently selling secondhand at high prices on the net.

Im looking forward to these comnig out, but no doubt theyll sell fairly quickly last the last lot did, shame they arnt bringing out the Network Southeast Versions ( yes I know I can repaint them)

NL

Have you seen these from Kernow?

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/35436/39001T_Bachmann_Network_SouthEast_Mk2_Blue_and_Grey_Coach_Pack

I rang Rails today to enquire about my order placed some months ago and I was told they haven't come into stock yet. Seems odd that such a large customer hasn't got its supply yet when smaller shops have.

well you have to be quicker if you want to beat the carpet baggers........they want to make some money so they will hardly buy one or two but a fair quantity - this practice is as old as the hills and we should now be more than aware of how things like this work.

• 3 years later...

Unfortunately, i think it is highly unlikely that Bachmann are producing these new TSOs with the corrected position for the lower white lining. When Kernow MRC announced their NSE and Scotrail Blue/Grey limited editions, I emailed them to ask whetehr they were getting the livery corrected. I was told No. Indeed the person I corresponded with didn't realise there was an error until I emailed him a link to a photo. I am equally sure that these new standard release TSOs are being produced at the same time as the Kernow L/Es, so will be the same, although I would like to be proved wrong.

What I do wonder about is the shade of BR Blue that will be used. Ther latest Bachmann Blue/Grey Mk1s are a slightly lighter blue colour (which to me is more accurate) than the blue used on their earlier Mk1s and Mk2s. So I am expecting the blue not to match, although that's not an issue for me. We shall see in due course.

Are the product codes different on the newer ones?

I have several of the early ones (i think) which i bought years ago. I'd like to complete a full rake but i want the livery shades to match.

Archived