Steam heating van 1980s

Mark P

On 16/05/2020 at 19:09, anroar53 said:

I remember there were two at St. Pancras in use in the late 1970s, seemed to have been converted from some old Stanier Full Brakes, and I think they were painted in plain rail blue at this time. During the Steam Heat period one was on the stops of Siding 8 between platforms 4 & 5, and the other was on the stops of either Siding A or B between platforms 2 and 3. I remember seeing them in action on a Sunday morning after finishing night shift. There would be a plume of steam going up into the roof showing they were running. They would disappear during the Summer, which may have been for their annual check ?

Plat 139 of "LMS Coaches  - An Illustrated History" by Jenkinson / Essery depicts a nice view of BR Heating Van M44420M which it lists as being converted from a 1925/6 all steel vestibule third coach.

Steam Heasting vans were used in the early dasys of the electrified WCML. the AL1 - 6 locos did not have steam heating  boilers, so the vans provided the heating for non-eletric coaches

Edited by Pandora

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pandora said:

in the late 1980s I  recall seeing a few of the steam heat vans  in Lincolnshire, either Frodingham or immingham depot

I think this is the  type of steam heat van I recall at the depot in tje late 1980s

image.png.57beda5b9a2f44522c65edf41629b261.png

That was a late survivor I remember seeing it out of service at Immingham in 97

• RMweb Gold

in the late 1980s I  recall seeing a few of the steam heat vans  in Lincolnshire, either Frodingham or immingham depot

I think this is the  type of steam heat van I recall at the depot in tje late 1980s

image.png.57beda5b9a2f44522c65edf41629b261.png

10 hours ago, russ p said:

Can anyone hazard a guess as to the history of this boiler van   A major conversion from a horsebox such as a major rebody,  note the flat slab sides, I thought BR horseboxes sides  were curved to match coach profiles.

image.png.ce35644762db5d081eefeb2bf4b0af18.png

Edited by Pandora

• RMweb Gold
On 15/05/2020 at 14:00, russ p said:

Did the ex 31/0 keep working boilers?  I thought they were just ETH

they were only ever steam heat fitted from new until being withdrawn late 70's, early 80's. 

Can anyone hazard a guess as to the history of this boiler van   A major conversion from a horsebox such as a major rebody,  note the flat slab sides, I thought BR horseboxes sides  were curved to match coach profiles.

Some info here:

http://www.departmentals.com/departmental/321073

Apparently the body was built on an ex LNER plate wagon. E250919

Edited by 37114
Clarity

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, young37215 said:

they were only ever steam heat fitted from new until being withdrawn late 70's, early 80's. 

On conversion to pre heating units they were ETH,  but not sure if they also had steam heat capability 

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Pandora said:

image.png.ce35644762db5d081eefeb2bf4b0af18.png

I remember seeing a few of these at Norwich in the early 80s then at the end of the 80s a few turned up at thornaby no idea what for but seemed to hang about for a while then I presume went to  TJ Thompson for scrapping. 

A few seem to have gone into preservation with the misguided view that they can be used in a passenger train to heat it.

They cant be part of a train unless the water tanks are drained as I assume full tanks puts them overweight and are not baffled for use on the move 

• RMweb Gold

I've never seen those long wheelbase ones before,  were there many of them? Obviously as at least one has survived they must have found use doing something 

37 minutes ago, russ p said:

I've never seen those long wheelbase ones before,  were there many of them? Obviously as at least one has survived they must have found use doing something 

The article from 'Modern Railways' suggests there were two LWB ones, built on Special Cattle Van underframes, for use at Bournemouth and Weymouth, along with five, built on SR Loco Coal underframes, for Southampton. The ex-SCVs retained vacuum brakes; the Southampton wagons were only through-piped.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The article from 'Modern Railways' suggests there were two LWB ones, built on Special Cattle Van underframes, for use at Bournemouth and Weymouth, along with five, built on SR Loco Coal underframes, for Southampton. The ex-SCVs retained vacuum brakes; the Southampton wagons were only through-piped.

There are a number of photos of ADS70185 &ADS70188 (mineral wagon frame) and ADS70190 (converted Special Cattle) in https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/srdepartmentalstock - l

The ER and LMR ones were discussed earlier.

Paul

• Like 2

The Bo'ness van was in seasonal use until relatively recently. The boiler inspector condemned the boiler controls, principally in that there was no pre-ignition purge of the combustion chamber and the general age of the electrical components, it was also all 110v DC and therefore difficult to renew bits individually.  A scheme to re-engineer said electrics to AC control was considered but the cost was significant and four weekends use a year to pre heat Santa trains didn't justify the expenditure.

Regards

Martin

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 26/06/2021 at 20:36, montyburns56 said:

ADM44402 1981 ex-LMS  by Hugh Searle

256-13 M44402M FW 16101981

I wonder why Fort William had a need for a steam heating van? Back in 1981 the only thing I could think of would be a pre heat of the Mk1 sleeping cars which were attached to the afternoon Mallaig to Glasgow service. Does anyone know different or for how long this vehicle lived in the west highlands? Whatever the reasons, the picture shows an interesting vehicle to model. 

• 2 weeks later...