Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

Detailing US Model Locomotives.

I noticed this months MR has a cover article about detailing diesels and I wondered, what with all the super detailed, road name specific models out there, does anybody bother anymore?  I'm made loads of different things over the years but rarely get them finished because I always stumble over when to add the details, before or after paint?

I'll see if I can find some of my old projects and post some photo's.

3 hours ago, Traintresta said:

I noticed this months MR has a cover article about detailing diesels and I wondered, what with all the super detailed, road name specific models out there, does anybody bother anymore? 

The article indirectly answers the question for you - there are still a lot of prototypes out there that don't have super detailed models yet.

In the case of the article, the standard cab SD60, there is no super detailed version - you can go with Walthers Mainline or Athearn RTR.

Similar story for GP30/GP35, SD9/SD18, E8 and family, SD40-2W, almost all the older GE u-boats, etc.

And then there are all those prototypes that will likely never see a model of any sort - the SD70ACe-T4, CP's ECO units, F125, etc.

So it may be a small group but there still is a need for those willing to either upgrade a basic model or kitbash/scratchbuild a unique model.