Dapol 'No Quibble' 12 month warranty

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

All we ask is that customers contact either agent by phone and ‘book’ the model in for a service / repair and pay for shipping each way (When a service is required). Dapol or our agents will not be held responsible for failure to mitigate against potential loss in the post of locomotives sent for service/repair that are out of warranty.

Hi Dave,

In other posts you have mentioned a Freepost address for returning faulty models to your agents, as I understand it, Freepost doesn't include any sort of insurance for the item getting lost in the post?

So I return my faulty model to your agent by Freepost but it is lost, who then is liable for this me or Dapol/your agent?

Obviously the sensible thing to do would be to send it to the agent by special delivery (recorded only covers upto £45), I presume Dapol/agent will reimburse me for this? And then the agent returns the repaired model to me again by special delivery?

It is clear from your post that if I'm just sending a loco for service/out of warranty repair then I decided on the level of P&P I am comfortable with and pay the cost of this accordingly which seems perfectly fair, so it is just the postage of in warranty items that I am querying.

Cheers, Richard

Hi Richard,

Valid question and one I need to discuss.

We have budgeted around a fiver for shipping, so as long as this covers Special D then I see no problem, however if it doesn't cover then I foresee problems.

Nothing we cannot work around but needs some thought. I'll get back to you if that's ok?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Richard,

Valid question and one I need to discuss.

We have budgeted around a fiver for shipping, so as long as this covers Special D then I see no problem, however if it doesn't cover then I foresee problems.

Nothing we cannot work around but needs some thought. I'll get back to you if that's ok?

Cheers

Dave

I agree it might require a work around. I am particularly interested in what will be done for overseas customers such as myself who need to send a loco back for warrated repair during the first year. If "Freepost" is not available for me to ship to Dapol (as was suggested by another poster) I know from long experience that it costs me the equivalent of about 6 quid to airmail a loco back to the UK (and that is w/o insurance). A fiver will just about cover Royal Airmail Small Packets from the UK back to the US, but "Signed for" airmail costs about twice that, and I don't know if that is insured post or if it merely provides proof to the sender that the parcel was delivered.

My hope is that Dapol will determine it has so few customers in the US that those of us who are here (and elsewhere overseas) pose such little risk to its bottom line via warranty repair costs that it will a.) simply reimburse me whatever the cost of return postage happens to be and b.) will pay the cost of insured post back to me in the US.

I'll be interested in hearing what is decided about this.

Matt

What if Dapol said in their blurb 'we will pay up to £5 toward postage', it would then be up to the purchaser to pay the rest, it would leave some people out of pocket unfortunately but would remove the if's/ buts etc. I appreciate postage from overseas would be expensive but from the uk only a couple of quid extra?

Considering the service Dapol are offering is it not a small price to pay?

cheers

mark

• RMweb Premium

What if Dapol said in their blurb 'we will pay up to £5 toward postage', it would then be up to the purchaser to pay the rest, it would leave some people out of pocket unfortunately but would remove the if's/ buts etc. I appreciate postage from overseas would be expensive but from the uk only a couple of quid extra?

Considering the service Dapol are offering is it not a small price to pay?

cheers

mark

But if you buy a loco brand new which turns out to be faulty why should it then cost you to send it for repair under the warranty, surely the point of a warranty is to repair the faulty item free of charge?

If this were the case I think most would just return the loco to the point of purchase, and if it was purchased by mail order most of the well known 'box shifters' will happily reimburse the postage for this 'no quibble'!

Maybe the solution is for Dapol to cover the cost of recorded post for those returning faulty items under warranty, and should the item get lost in the post as long as you had 'booked the loco in' and had the reciept to prove it was posted then Dapol would take the hit and provide a replacement loco, because I'm sure the unit cost to Dapol of these things can't be £45. The only problem might be if the item is out of stock so a direct replacement isn't available, but I think this may be a viable solution as I think it's highly unlikely many, if any will be lost in the post, even less if they are sent recorded, and from Dave's comments about returns it sounds like there shouldn't be many that need to use this service anyway!

I hope all that makes sense!,

Cheers, Richard

Dave,

Great news on the more freely flowing spares.

One thought though - bear in mind that some of us might start purchasing these for use in scratchbuilding projects and the likes ;) (am thinking wheels here in particular....) , so consumption of some particular spares may be higher than you expect from simple loco failures.

Though if you are happy with this then that's great for folks looking for components too!

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Good point and to be honest i dont see a problem.

I know DCC supplies has a large 'pool' of spares already, and i would hope that in the coming months we can supply them with arouns 80% of ALL loco components to use/ sell etc.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning Dave,

great news that spares will be available. Does this include wheels? We now have five Halls, four of which are on Totnes and look superb following a bit of cosmetic titivation and are running and beahaving well - these of course will remain N. I am keen to convert Kimberley Hall (yes, bought for Kim!) to 2FS. The tender wheels, being in insulating muffs are easy to replace with Association wheels. The drivers are beautiful and so fine as to only need a skim to reduce the flange thickness and an increase to the BTB to Association standards. The problem is that one of them has a traction tyre. Will I be able to buy a replacement set of drivers?

I presume converting to 2FS will invalidate my waranty!!

cheers Jerry

post-1074-0-83244400-1332410830_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hmm interesting?

The move to 7mm was announced at Warley with 3 different open wagons on display and in that topic as well as the Dapol Catalogue topic Dave has mentioned that there will be at least one 7mm loco available later this year and he was working on two more that might make it into this catalogue.

Any update Dave?

Mike

Sorry Mike,

Nothing until either the catalogue is release or i decide to announce something specific this weekend. :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

By the way, dont read too much into the emoticon, we might not be announcing a steam loco this weekend, or are we? :angel:

But if you buy a loco brand new which turns out to be faulty why should it then cost you to send it for repair under the warranty, surely the point of a warranty is to repair the faulty item free of charge?

If this were the case I think most would just return the loco to the point of purchase, and if it was purchased by mail order most of the well known 'box shifters' will happily reimburse the postage for this 'no quibble'!

Richard, I think you've nailed it on the head. I really do commend Dapol for the new one-year warranty but if exercising the warranty from overseas were to leave me out of pocket for p+p then yes, I for one would just send the faulty item back to Hattons (which is almost certainly the retailer I'd have purchased it from). I admit that sounds a bit rough for Hattons, as they would be reimbursing me a cost which I would think Dapol should actually bear under its warranty - unless of course Hattons gets a credit from Dapol not only for the returned loco, but also for reimbursing the consumer's return postage. Obviously I've no idea what sort of contractual arrangements any manufacturer has with any retailer about this, or any other, part of their business arrangements, and for all I know how all of this is supposed to work could be prescribed by statute.

The Devil is always in the details, isn't it? :read:

Matt

Hi dave and all at Dapol this is a massive step forward for the hoby and as you say things will take a while to iron out any little probs that arise but just keep the faith and you will get there in the end .

And also just remember that no matter what Dapol do some people will never be happy with what you do no matter how hard you try and as well some folks just like to moan n groan pick fault and generaly complain so good luck with this and keep pushing the limits guys

all the best

Geoff

Well, that's a bonus as it's actually quite normal for the return of an item to a manufacturer for Warranty service to be at the consumers expense and risk - Sony and Panasonic for example.And US model railway brands such as Athearn

Of course if a retailer supplies a model brand new that is faulty that retailer is in breach of contract and the purchaser is entitled to appropriate remedies.

* What’s more, at the end of your 1 year standard ‘no quibble’ warranty period, you can send your locomotive to either agent who will, for £15.00 plus P+P, service your engine, and make sure it is in tip top running condition. This will then automatically extend your ‘no quibble’ chassis warranty for a second year.

Yes the £15.00 per service is available to all models irrespective of age, however it wont cover spares or repairs, and believe it or not (as i get models sent back for this) , bad running due to dirty wheels and pickups!!!

cheers

Dave

Whilst at first site the whole idea has to be commended and I appreciate your efforts to make things easier when the odd problem occurs (fact of life as you say), I would be interested to know just what the 'service' includes because from your above posts I can't think it includes anything more than a (very expensive!) drop of oil. I would also be interested to know what would happen if there is the odd spec of dirt on the wheels - a big bill or no extended warranty?

I think that if things are too expensive and complicated, buyers will stick with using there 'sale of goods act' rights with the suppling retailer which potentially cover things for up to 6 years (the buyer has to prove the fault is inherent after 6 months)

This really is an excellent idea from Dapol & due to it being a new initiative questions will naturally be asked. Dave has done an excellent job in trying to answer all the question being asked so far. Better to find the answers now rather than further down the line when problems might arise.

Some of the questions being asked might seem trivial to some posters but I'm sure they are important to those who ask them & they have every right to do so.

Welcome news but it does leave the problem of the non "W" locos, 73s and 45xxs in particular which have a pretty shocking history of failures if you look at various forums and yahoo groups. Given that they have all been churned out one or another far east factory that presumably makes stuff for other ranges (USA if not UK for example) it may be possible that spares could be sourced from those other ranges, if only we knew the factories involved and the other makes made.

with Dapol locos its very important that you make sure you use a plastic frieindly oil before running. as per the instructions.

particularly with the older models.

this is due to the factory packing grease getting sticky and seizing the gears causeing a failure, this is why older locos such as the 73 and original 66 have this problem,

however a little drop of oil and the old grease disolves and a great running loco will result.

if your loco is running slow this should fix the problem.

this is due to the factory packing grease getting sticky and seizing the gears causeing a failure, this is why older locos such as the 73 and original 66 have this problem,

however a little drop of oil and the old grease disolves and a great running loco will result.

Really the only solution is to clean all this horrible stuff out properly and relubricate. I've seen at least 8 1st batch class 66s now, all ailing because of this (in fact one was burnt out).

Cheers,

Alan

Really the only solution is to clean all this horrible stuff out properly and relubricate. I've seen at least 8 1st batch class 66s now, all ailing because of this (in fact one was burnt out).

Cheers,

Alan

yep i agree that would be the best route, its horrible stuff and does cause burn outs to the pcbs shorts and components to act as a fuse. i cant for the life of me understand why they use this stuff, the locos would surrvive transit without it with the way they are packaged. it seems ott to me. especially as most dont bother to read instructions it risks reputation when people get a loco that goes and drops a ball on you, and didnt realise. i could be wrong. but i would opt for them to stop using the stuff.

Archived